Hearing protection

rsrjerry

Hi all

I had a hearing test the other day and failed, much to my amazement as i dont think i have an issue but i have been told i do.

and cause is shooting over the years.my right ear is fine but left not good.

so i need to protect what i have now as best i can (stable door and all that)

my question is

whats the best custom in ear digital one to go for ?

as i am in pest control for a living i want comfort and to be able to hear best way possible and dont want ear muffs or plugs that muffle out the sound

any pointer be great

cheers

18 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

Cens 

Do these also work when the wife is on one?? That’s what gives me ear-heck,

39 minutes ago, rsrjerry said:

Hi all

I had a hearing test the other day and failed, much to my amazement as i dont think i have an issue but i have been told i do.

and cause is shooting over the years.my right ear is fine but left not good.

so i need to protect what i have now as best i can (stable door and all that)

my question is

whats the best custom in ear digital one to go for ?

as i am in pest control for a living i want comfort and to be able to hear best way possible and dont want ear muffs or plugs that muffle out the sound

any pointer be great

cheers

I have full medical ever two years with the industry I work and I’m the same lift ear not good.

I’ve got the last 18 years records and each one you can see the difference my left ear not good now.

but my question is I’m right handed why my left ear???? My right ear good as a 10 year olds.

I asked that question and the lady who done the tests told me that right handed shooters will have bad left and visa versa of left handed. Ear to stock, arm body sound absorbing. But when she done the test and the sharp drop off on the graph indicates caused by sharp loud noise as in shooting. All new to me and I’m no expert on the subject. 

I’ve played around with various options Nd the most effective solution for me is good quality foam disposable plus with good quality active earmuffs over the top.  This was recommended to me by a RCS Audiologist, ‘ if you MUST exposure your hearing to gunshot, then do this...’ was the advice I received..

46 minutes ago, The gouse said:

I have full medical ever two years with the industry I work and I’m the same lift ear not good.

I’ve got the last 18 years records and each one you can see the difference my left ear not good now.

but my question is I’m right handed why my left ear???? My right ear good as a 10 year olds.

Yes, they have an off switch! 

have any of you tried wearing any of the cens etc for 12 hrs? I have to wear ear plugs in work plus I'm deaf ish, got sent for scans after my last test because my right ear is so much worse than my left.

I wear the roll up orange plug type, sometimes there ok others there a pain in the ..

any recommendations for ear plugs in work? Wearing proper ear muff style isn't really an option as there not comfy for a full shift.

cheers

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

have any of you tried wearing any of the cens etc for 12 hrs? I have to wear ear plugs in work plus I'm deaf ish, got sent for scans after my last test because my right ear is so much worse than my left.

I wear the roll up orange plug type, sometimes there ok others there a pain in the ..

any recommendations for ear plugs in work? Wearing proper ear muff style isn't really an option as there not comfy for a full shift.

cheers

Howard Leigh are the most comfortable of the disposables that I have found

33 minutes ago, Mice! said:

cheers

I am a light sleeper and use plugs overnight. My fave so far is Moldex Pura-Fit. Comfy enough for 8 hours and I bet longer too.

Recently I was ill with one result being permanent severe deafness in left ear. I have just got my first ever hearing aid, an odd experience but got to deal with it.

Edited by John_R

cheers I'll have a look.

12 minutes ago, John_R said:

Recently I was ill with one result being permanent severe deafness in left ear. I have just got my first ever hearing aid, an odd experience but got to deal with it.

my brother recently got a hearing aid, i didn't even notice it till he pointed it out.

I also have hearing loss problems.

I have custom moulded earplugs I can't wear for more than an hour, find Howard Leigh max I can forget are in and sleep through anything, but for shooting I far prefer peltor protacs, as I hear surrounding noise better than with nothing on but they do a better job than the plugs of knocking down the report. Also so comfy I have slept in them quite happily before (they don't clamp quite as tight as the peltors).

Peltor optime fours I would use if not needing to hear surrounding noise. I try but rarely manage to remember Howard Leigh max inside the protacs. The protacs turned up with Howard Leigh max inside more or less matches my normal hearing. 

One I certainly don't recommend are the "Ultimate Ear Reactear" -- I bought a pair as they promise to stop the 'bang' but let you hear otherwise, turns out they don't work terribly well in open space, and don't work at all if you are in a shooting booth or a covered stand... In fact they thing to makes things worse.

On 18/4/2018 at 20:21, The gouse said:

I have tinitus in my left ear, i'm a right handed shooter and came to the conclusion that my left ear is exposed more to the report of the gun. 

50 years of pest control, decoying etc seems to have taken it's toll on my hearing. I don't recall anyone wearing ear protection when shooting other than clays. As OP says, stable door .......

3 hours ago, Buck100 said:

I have tinitus in my left ear, i'm a right handed shooter and came to the conclusion that my left ear is exposed more to the report of the gun. 

50 years of pest control, decoying etc seems to have taken it's toll on my hearing. I don't recall anyone wearing ear protection when shooting other than clays. As OP says, stable door .......

I too have Tinitus, which is more pronounced in my left ear. (right hand shooter) Too late now for me, but I use Howard Leight impact sport ear defenders to protect what l have now and not make it any worse.

I had a worsening tinnitus in right ear and almost total hearing loss  . Progressive hearing loss to point where I am needing a hearing aid . Done everything wrong , Glastonbury , diving accident with ears , shooting  . Can't emphasize need to protect hearing enough . Life changing debility . Got it 24 /7 . Full time .