Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, FatFreddysCat said:

Count me in. 1896 A Gale 10g. Still doing what it was made for. pics below. Also 1910 J&W Tolley 12g and 1923 T. Bland 20g.

ScreenHunter_96 Apr. 23 13.19.jpg

ScreenHunter_97 Apr. 23 13.20.jpg

Now that is good to see, out on the marsh and not sat in a gun cabinet only to be looked at ! Imagine if the people involved in its creation could see it still being used 122yrs later.

So, since we're a sticky topic now...

Could anyone has, or help find me a vintage box for *32 inch* barrels for my hammer gun (well, a tad more as it has a greener bite) ?

I've been looking for months, and it's very hard to find, apparently...

I don't want something very fancy (or expensive) but it'd be nice to have a classic box for when I cart it around...

10 minutes ago, buze said:

Could anyone has, or help find me a vintage box for *32 inch* barrels for my hammer gun (well, a tad more as it has a greener bite) ?

I don't want something very fancy (or expensive) but it'd be nice to have a classic box for when I cart it around...

hello, there is a sporting auction on june 9th  at netherhampton wiltshire southern counties auctioneers, listed end of may

29 minutes ago, buze said:

There's this Michel

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullcatalogue.asp?salelot=XS0418++4896+&refno=++104346&image=1

It looks to have a space for the bite, tatty though, but cheap

19 hours ago, FatFreddysCat said:

Count me in. 1896 A Gale 10g. Still doing what it was made for. pics below. Also 1910 J&W Tolley 12g and 1923 T. Bland 20g.

ScreenHunter_96 Apr. 23 13.19.jpg

ScreenHunter_97 Apr. 23 13.20.jpg

Lovely pictures and very nice looking gun and dog 

any pictures of the bland probably one of my favourite makers 

all the best 

of 

Found another picture of the 470 

2E57C418-30B5-4BC6-AEB3-2E861523577A.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Lovely pictures and very nice looking gun and dog 

any pictures of the bland probably one of my favourite makers 

all the best 

of 

Found another picture of the 470 

2E57C418-30B5-4BC6-AEB3-2E861523577A.jpeg

Here`s a couple of T.Bland adverts for you OF, from 1948 Shooting Times. Fancy one for £50. All you need is a time machine !

OB5adee74c758de_T.Bland(ST21st.August1948)001.jpg.7bd221bc78ca1fc5332d4ce5104a4017.jpg5adee78301e37_T.Bland(ST27th_Nov.1948)001.jpg.81d54bf3c848ef73eeae859e05ad743f.jpg

In the original post concerning resurgence of the side x side that led to this dedicated slot on the forum, started by `oldpigeonpopper`; there was interest expressed in some of the old adverts and the prices of guns when a number of us were in our `yoof` and earning £5 or £7 a week. Several members posted that they own a Webley & Scott 700, so attached is some advertising from 1963. A brand new Webley 700 for £104-10-0. Happy days.

image.jpeg.3275f3af25ce52e5e099efb925ca04eb.jpegimage.jpeg.4f1c908a0d67085aba4c1467e8bf8fa1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Thanks ob 

always a well built utility gun and many have stood the test of time 

would love to find a 3 inch one to add to my cabinet 

all the best 

of 

Hi O.F. Pics of the T Bland 20g below. Interesting in that it has pre 1925 proof marks but a 3" chamber. I couldn't find any records of 3" 20g cartridges being commercially available until 1933 although I believe they may have been in use in America earlier.Photo0106.jpg.747ee3a50b4141e8e71136dc2ecb0cfd.jpgPhoto0108.jpg.fe1bb30350bb4b77b57b9a17db33143a.jpgPhoto0110.jpg.6646c399ee10e9ceedd7c67143c5ffe6.jpgPhoto0112.jpg.154ef1554697c092fc7bd4464ce8b085.jpg 

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

would love to find a 3 inch one to add to my cabinet 

I dont know where you are based Old farrier or your budget, but just to let you know John Forsey has a 3in Bland Brent on his rack at £995; see: https://www.johnforsey.co.uk/used-shotguns

If you had any interest, he or Phil will always do a deal for cash and will ship to your local RFD.

Cheers

JJsDad

Edited by JJsDad
Spelling

1 hour ago, JJsDad said:

In the original post concerning resurgence of the side x side that led to this dedicated slot on the forum, started by `oldpigeonpopper`; there was interest expressed in some of the old adverts and the prices of guns when a number of us were in our `yoof` and earning £5 or £7 a week. Several members posted that they own a Webley & Scott 700, so attached is some advertising from 1963. A brand new Webley 700 for £104-10-0. Happy days.

image.jpeg.3275f3af25ce52e5e099efb925ca04eb.jpegimage.jpeg.4f1c908a0d67085aba4c1467e8bf8fa1.jpeg

Getting impatient now as mine wings its way down from Scotland. Allowing for all the variables and therefore just a ballpark figure, does anyone have an idea on the weight of a 26" barreled version?

Based purely on the average wages for the years in question, this would now cost c£3850.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Getting impatient now as mine wings its way down from Scotland.

Hope you didnt pay over the odds !  There`s one in the for sale private adds for £600, described as mint but with 30in. barrels. Not even a sniff of interest by the look of it.

Any speculation on the weight of a 26in barreled version would be plus or minus a couple of ozs, depending on the length of the stock and wood density but I will put a wet finger in the air and say 6lb 10oz !

If you calculation of £3850, taking into account inflation, is anywhere near correct then wages in Spain must have shot up over the same period in the light that a new AYA No: 2 today is upwards of £6000.

Edited by JJsDad
Spelling

47 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Allowing for all the variables and therefore just a ballpark figure, does anyone have an idea on the weight of a 26" barreled version?

Further to my comment above, I was browsing Gunstar (as you do) and Wisemans have a Webley 700 with a 14.25in stock, 26in. barrels with the weight quoted as 6lb 4ozs.

49 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Hope you didnt pay over the odds !  There`s one in the for sale private adds for £600, described as mint but with 30in. barrels. Not even a sniff of interest by the look of it.

Probably have but it won't be by much - this one met all of my spec's. I've been sent some photo's of the warts 'n' all and it looks good. Will see what Dennis Stepney has to say within a day or two when it arrives.

Any speculation on the weight of a 26in barreled version would be plus or minus a couple of ozs, depending on the legth of the stock and wood density but I will put a wet finger in the air and say 6lb 10oz !

Yep, about what I figured as well (have seen your next post). A tad less would be good

If you calculation of £3850, taking into account inflation, is anywhere near correct then wages in Spain must have shot up over the same period in the light that a new AYA No: 2 today is upwards of £6000.

Back along, the AyA XXV Boxlock was - I believe - about 2/3 of the price of these. My figures above are no more than said.

Not all good news, though. If it's what I hope, then the XXV already shown on here will be up for grabs which hurts a bit and is compounded by the fact that for the same reasons my little Anschutz thumbhole carbine 22LR will also go.:unhappy: