Side by Side Club

AYA117

3 hours ago, Salopian said:

Are there any plans to organise a get together of SxS enthusiasts ?

An interesting idea !  Any ideas ?

There is The European Side by Side Competition at E.J.Churchills  ( Date not yet announced )

British Side by Side Championship at Atkin, Grant & Lang on 25/08/18

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Enclosed is a image of a family heir loom  sxs hammer gun by T Wild  cased with  a original copy of the bill and a old gun licence . bought in 1912 for £4-9s -6d

Feltwad

100_1612.jpg

THANKS Feltwad for sharing the photo and all the history to go with it , I have also seen the photo of your mouth watering collection of the old fowling guns you kindly shared with the members ., we can only dream about when and where they were used and not forgetting the people who used them .

Another one of the good guys who make P W a brilliant forum .

1 hour ago, Salopian said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a PW SxS 100 bird competition  get together  North, Midlands , Home Counties  ( Sporting Targets so Bosher could have a day out) & South .

May i suggest Oakedge in south Staffordshire. Not far from the M6, nice and central. Stunningly scenic ground with all the facilities. English sporting but im sure they would set up anyting we wanted (within reason)Camping and caravan very close

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

THANKS Feltwad for sharing the photo and all the history to go with it , I have also seen the photo of your mouth watering collection of the old fowling guns you kindly shared with the members ., we can only dream about when and where they were used and not forgetting the people who used them .

Another one of the good guys who make P W a brilliant forum .

Thanks Marsh Man  for the kind words 

Feltwad

SXS Percussion 6 bore

100_1640.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

14 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

I would attend a fun day if it were drivable in a day from the sarf coast. 

And if there were the chance to try a black powder shotgun I'd sign up now, always wanted to never had the opportunity. 

I picked up behind a team of muzzle loaders last season and it really was something special.  The whole pace of the day was much slower and boy could they shoot.  In fact they had the best bird to shots ratio of any team this season.  And the best bit was they let us all have a go at  the end of the day.  Fantastic team with some absolutely stunning guns.

I am part of a team of shooters that take a couple of days muzzle loading each year. The reaction seems to range from the start of the day, "what a load of plonkers", to "wow that was a great day". For us it is just great fun to shoot guns as fit for purpose as when they were built 150+ years ago. We stand two on a peg so there is less chance of missing opportunities while we are stoking up. Keepers naturally hate putting good birds over guns that don't shoot at them. If any of you get the chance to do this go for it.

15 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I am part of a team of shooters that take a couple of days muzzle loading each year. The reaction seems to range from the start of the day, "what a load of plonkers", to "wow that was a great day". For us it is just great fun to shoot guns as fit for purpose as when they were built 150+ years ago. We stand two on a peg so there is less chance of missing opportunities while we are stoking up. Keepers naturally hate putting good birds over guns that don't shoot at them. If any of you get the chance to do this go for it.

Yes it is a good sport a black powder gun can kill has many birds it is living the past .I have been doing it for many decades 

Feltwad 

Taking a high bird 

IMG_0364.jpg

On 25 April 2018 at 19:51, Esca said:

Time to share

_20180425_194704.JPG

_20180425_194444.JPG

_20180425_194240.JPG

Lovely gun Esca. Stunning stock and I love the Deeley & Edge forend fastener.

So many beautiful guns on this newly formed side by side section and hopefully many more to be posted. It's just good to know that so much gun making history is being preserved and the guns still in use.

OB

2 hours ago, Mr.C said:

I would attend a fun day if it were drivable in a day from the sarf coast. 

And if there were the chance to try a black powder shotgun I'd sign up now, always wanted to never had the opportunity. 

Unfortunately the main problem for a meeting of 'members' is going to be the fact that we are spread across the whole country! It will more than likely end up being members in roughly the same area sorting something out amongst themselves, so lets see what happens and await the photos and posts.