Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, matone said:

Both nice.That Sarasqueta is a a rare model over here,when was it made ?

Not sure when it was made, I have tried to date it using the Spanish Best book, I think it would be 1960s. Any other suggestions on how to date it?

It is beautiful quality, I obtained it from the estate of a collector, who appears to have polished it more than he shot it. I have not seen another model 8 other than one in a US auction.

I keep thinking I will sell it but just can't seem to bring myself to part with it.

12 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Lovely gun Esca. Stunning stock and I love the Deeley & Edge forend fastener.

So many beautiful guns on this newly formed side by side section and hopefully many more to be posted. It's just good to know that so much gun making history is being preserved and the guns still in use.

OB

I did fall in love with it as soon as I picked it up. If the look and feel had not aready sold me, the opening and closing with a smooth 'snick' eliminated any doudts I had about returning to a SxS.( As a bonus the gun fits me perfectly)

The only history I know about the gun is that it was sleaved by Crudgington in the early 70s for Avon Shooting of Radstock. Althought it went on to private ownership, it has had very little if any use.

The chambers are still at there original 65mm barrels choked 1/4 and 3/4.

While Crudgintons had the gun they gave it a comlete overhaul, so the she is as good as the day she left Boswells

I must profess a long held passion for AYA side by sides, an affection that I do not share with their other guns that we dont mention here !

I have owned over the years virtually all their more popular model`s, including some like the No: 2, that I have owned more than once. I currently have 3 gracing the cabinet, which include a No 1 and a No 3 Magum. The attached may not be the most expensive in my modest collection or have the best wood; but if I have learned one hard lesson over the years, its that if it fits and you shoot instinctively well with it you should keep it, and not always strive for something better.

This is an AYA best quality boxlock from around 1980. It has 27in. barrels that are shown as quarter / three quarter, whether this is correct or not, I dont know, and dont particulaly care. It fits like the proverbial glove and I shoot better with this gun than any other that I have ever owned. I got it at a very reasonable price as the stock had been shortened to around 14in. I dont care for wood extensions so fitted a genuine Silvers pad and did some wood removal from inside the stock to bring the point of balance onto the hinge pin. In around 9 years of ownership I would guess its had 4000 to 5000 cartridges through it and it remains totally original in the form of springs and strikers. If there is ever a clamp down on the number of guns we are allowed to own (god forbid) this will be the last one left in my cabinet.

image.jpeg.ada22ffc8495b53a67428a2adfa6cbdc.jpegimage.jpeg.a96fdd5cada7a51c4a11d2d430ba6576.jpeg

Edited by JJsDad

I must say how pleased I am to see a side by side section I too have a passion for these guns and especially the older English ones. i have a very nice Richard Ellis hammer gun from Around 1890. Weighs in at a tad over six pounds and shoots well. Nitro proofed too.

5ae477fbcb3c0_ELLIS2012.JPG.0c207dc1605d1723b68f699f3c7f4f8f.JPG5ae477f9ae729_ELLIS2015.JPG.d939b3dfc5d1eecfd0cecf6e86222ec5.JPG

Edited by DUNKS
correction

Thank you sir for those kind words.

I also have at the other end of the scale a cheap as chips Belgian .410 double hammer.

Lots of these around at low prices as they were usually badly neglected with bad bores and shot loose.

Mine however came from a guys collection and is almost as good as it was when new.

410 DOUBLE 003.JPG5ae4b662c1833_410DOUBLE009.JPG.ecf43ab51818a901aeb1bb1f1164f6d0.JPG

Edited by DUNKS

On 27/04/2018 at 13:16, farmer7 said:

Another one for the club, my Joseph Harkom. Unfortunately it's been sleeved and isn't an ejector but it was bought for me and my brother by my father when we were youngsters and killed a lot of game all the same! 

20180427_125431-3870x2177.jpg

That just oozes quality !

34 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Thank you sir for those kind words.

I also have at the other end of the scale a cheap as chips Belgian .410 double hammer.

Lots of these around at low prices as they were usually badly neglected with bad bores and shot loose.

Mine however came from a guys collection and is almost as good as it was when new.

410 DOUBLE 003.JPG

A long time since I have seen one in that good a condition! Even got most of the original colour case  hardening. 

5 hours ago, DUNKS said:

I must say how pleased I am to see a side by side section I too have a passion for these guns and especially the older English ones. i have a very nice Richard Ellis hammer gun from Around 1890. Weighs in at a tad over six pounds and shoots well. Nitro proofed too.

5ae477fbcb3c0_ELLIS2012.JPG.0c207dc1605d1723b68f699f3c7f4f8f.JPG5ae477f9ae729_ELLIS2015.JPG.d939b3dfc5d1eecfd0cecf6e86222ec5.JPG

That gun is pure class , a tribute to the craft men who put it all together .English gun making at its best