Side by Side Club

AYA117

14 hours ago, Old farrier said:

They look very nice in the case 

did you make the case or is there any chance you can say where you purchased it as I have some lock plates and have been wondering what to do with them 

OF,

Were they the lock plates from that old Woodward and were they by Joseph Brazier of Wolverhampton ?

OB

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Velocette said:

Have you tried the 30g no.7 that Henry Krank offers? I think that they are made by Eley

No. Interesting. Cheers. If he uses the same price break/1000 as the big boys, then that would give c£250. Just a shame that whereas you can spot the 70mm, there's no mention of wad type. One to bear in mind.

Box Picture Frames.

Just a small tip for Old Boggy & Old Farrier or anyone else thinking of mounting locks,  medals, cartridges etc in a box picture frame.

Try and buy (or make) one where the frame aperture (glass) is a couple of inches at least, wider than the item to be framed. I underestimated and bought one where the glass is almost exactly the width of the locks. Because the locks are effectively recessed when mounted in the box they look OK when you stand square on to the frame, but the moment you step to one side by a foot or so you start to lose sight of the item. Either that or mount the item being displayed on a block that brings it forward so that it is immediately behind the glass.

2 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

Has anyone ever tried to blue barrels with a shop bought product ? I fancy having a go and any tips would be much appreciated.

No, never tried, but I have been told it is very hard to get a consistent finish - and I have also heard that it isn't very durable, though that may vary with products.

1 hour ago, AYA117 said:

Has anyone ever tried to blue barrels with a shop bought product

Yes, several times with a range of different offerings over the years (Birchwood Casey, Comet, Parker Hale etc). While others will be up in arms telling you to the contrary, I have always found they give a patchy finish on barrels that didnt last beyond a handfull of trips before it showed signs of wear. The secret, as with all blacking / bluing is scrupulus preparation and de-greasing; however even using industrial grade solvents to de-grease, I have never managed to produce good results. Barrel material also varies between manufacturers and one set of barrels will readily take on a deep black, whereas another you struggle to get a uniform colour change. We sub-out components where I work, to a metal finishing company for hot chemi blacking & phosphating. I have chatted to their works manager in the past who advised that the higher the chrome content of the steel, the harder it is to take the colour. This probably accounts for why one set of barrels readily go a deep black, another struggles to go beyond a grey / brown.

While it may produce reasonable results on trigger guards, screws etc, it is not in my view the answer for doing a good pair of barrels unless the gun is a bit of an `old dog`. I havent used him, but `barrel browner` on this forum is apparently the man to chat to. There are a number of threads praising his work & expertise.

Edited by JJsDad
Spelling of members name

Just received  email from AYA, anniversary Hammer gun 12 months delivery   &  £42000 ! Thats probably why I liked the look of it . A lot of money but plenty of people spend that on a car and loose half of the cost in a very short while. Be nice to see one in the flesh.   I wonder what the take up will be and its value in the future.

5 minutes ago, swan40 said:

I wonder what the take up will be and its value in the future.

Take up will be minimal.  Famars (Abbiattico and Salvinelli) built the 'Castore', a similar modern upmarket hammer ejector.  You see a few come up occasionally, but since they made them for a number of years, not many.  AyA's flagship 'Senior' sold very slowly and only 40 were made in the approx 8 years it was made.

Resale value will be a fraction of the 'new' price.  Just look at a typical No 1.  You can get a choice of decent used examples for well under £4K, whereas they are £12,760 new (for the basic No 1, and not actually sure if this includes VAT or not).  The 'Senior' in 1980 cost new about 7 x the price of the basic No 1 (which I suspect mainly accounts for how few were made), so would notionally be about £80K if made today.  The very occasional used models that come up make roughly £6 to 8K.

Not a good investment.

Have used Bisley Gun Blue in the past but it was on a cheap old sxs but I was happy enough with the result. To be fair the gun doesn't get a lot of heavy use and still looks ok. However I would get it done commercially if the gun was a favourite or going to get frequent use.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

No, never tried, but I have been told it is very hard to get a consistent finish - and I have also heard that it isn't very durable, though that may vary with products.

2 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Yes, several times with a range of different offerings over the years (Birchwood Casey, Comet, Parker Hale etc). While others will be up in arms telling you to the contrary, I have always found they give a patchy finish on barrels that didnt last beyond a handfull of trips before it showed signs of wear. The secret, as with all blacking / bluing is scrupulus preparation and de-greasing; however even using industrial grade solvents to de-grease, I have never managed to produce good results. Barrel material also varies between manufacturers and one set of barrels will readily take on a deep black, whereas another you struggle to get a uniform colour change. We sub-out components where I work, to a metal finishing company for hot chemi blacking & phosphating. I have chatted to their works manager in the past who advised that the higher the chrome content of the steel, the harder it is to take the colour. This probably accounts for why one set of barrels readily go a deep black, another struggles to go beyond a grey / brown.

While it may produce reasonable results on trigger guards, screws etc, it is not in my view the answer for doing a good pair of barrels unless the gun is a bit of an `old dog`. I havent used him, but `barrel browner` on this forum is apparently the man to chat to. There are a number of threads praising his work & expertise.

22 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

Have used Bisley Gun Blue in the past but it was on a cheap old sxs but I was happy enough with the result. To be fair the gun doesn't get a lot of heavy use and still looks ok. However I would get it done commercially if the gun was a favourite or going to get frequent use.

Thanks for the replies, not looking a good idea based on what you say !

1 hour ago, swan40 said:

Just received  email from AYA, anniversary Hammer gun 12 months delivery   &  £42000 ! Thats probably why I liked the look of it . A lot of money but plenty of people spend that on a car and loose half of the cost in a very short while. Be nice to see one in the flesh.   I wonder what the take up will be and its value in the future.

12 months, well if I cannot get one for the start of the season I will not bother to order one :lol:

6 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Box Picture Frames.

Just a small tip for Old Boggy & Old Farrier or anyone else thinking of mounting locks,  medals, cartridges etc in a box picture frame.

Try and buy (or make) one where the frame aperture (glass) is a couple of inches at least, wider than the item to be framed. I underestimated and bought one where the glass is almost exactly the width of the locks. Because the locks are effectively recessed when mounted in the box they look OK when you stand square on to the frame, but the moment you step to one side by a foot or so you start to lose sight of the item. Either that or mount the item being displayed on a block that brings it forward so that it is immediately behind the glass.

Many thanks for that JJsDad. Will certainly bear that in mind when I purchase/make a box.

OB

Guntrader now live amongst us.

Following my rant on the previous page about the new Guntrader search facility, to my mild surprise they have registered on the forum and responded to my ancient  quotation:       " I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits", as follows:

Hi JJsDad, we better get ordering some Frontline then!

Well they may have slowed down my ability to find that longed for mint Holland & Holland Royal going for £2000; but at least they have a sense of humour !

For anyone having difficulty, they have explained the current upgrade on a seperate thread under "General Shooting Matters"

Edited by JJsDad

16 hours ago, NYorks said:

Me too please - William Leech & Son 12 bore boxlock (damascus barrels, made in 1905), Arietta 12 bore sidelock and AYA No4 boxlock 16 bore.

It has now become a requirement that anyone with a side by side has to post a picture of their gun. Not really, but I'm sure many would like to see your guns, especially that Leech with Damascus barrels. Have you been able to obtain anything of its history from Leech's in Boreham near Chelmsford in Essex ? Not sure whether they still have the records though, but worth a try.

OB

14 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Guntrader now live amongst us.

Following my rant on the previous page about the new Guntrader search facility, to my mild surprise they have registered on the forum and responded to my ancient  quotation:       " I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits", as follows:

Hi JJsDad, we better get ordering some Frontline then!

Well they may have slowed down my ability to find that longed for mint Holland & Holland Royal going for £2000; but at least they have a sense of humour !

For anyone having difficulty, they have explained the current upgrade on a seperate thread under "General Shooting Matters"

Whilst I have apologised to Anthony for my somewhat abrupt response to the change of Guntrader format, saying all is now OK, I notice that it is when using my PC, but on my iPad, all I get is a blank page. I have requested a further response from Guntrader but have been a little more diplomatic and polite this time. I'm sure that it's me doing something wrong and Anthony will correct the ways of this old technophobe.

OB

32 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Whilst I have apologised to Anthony for my somewhat abrupt response to the change of Guntrader format, saying all is now OK, I notice that it is when using my PC, but on my iPad, all I get is a blank page. I have requested a further response from Guntrader but have been a little more diplomatic and polite this time. I'm sure that it's me doing something wrong and Anthony will correct the ways of this old technophobe.

OB

Hi OB. All is fine using my iPad. Perhaps clear your filters and try again?

38 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

Depends on the iOS, if it's 9.3.5 or less you get the blank page.

Don`t understand iOS etc. All I know is that it was OK on my ipad before but not now, so what`s changed ? Answers in layman`s terms please, no technical stuff for this old Luddite.

OB

22 hours ago, AYA117 said:

Has anyone ever tried to blue barrels with a shop bought product ? I fancy having a go and any tips would be much appreciated.

For what it costs, PM Barrelblacker (Dan) on here. He did a suburb job on my Wallas and Midland barrels and I'm expecting my Matador 10b barrels back tomorrow, which were very worn.

OB, the iOS, is the system that works an iPad, my iPad 2 (older model) runs iOS 9.3.5,. Guntrader used to work fine on it, however now they are upgrading their webpage, my iPad is too old to read it. If you want to know what version you have, press the grey settings app on your screen, then press about,  from the list on the right, it will say version and show some numbers, this is the iOS you have, if it's old like mine, gunstar won't show at present.

7 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

OB, the iOS, is the system that works an iPad, my iPad 2 (older model) runs iOS 9.3.5,. Guntrader used to work fine on it, however now they are upgrading their webpage, my iPad is too old to read it. If you want to know what version you have, press the grey settings app on your screen, then press about,  from the list on the right, it will say version and show some numbers, this is the iOS you have, if it's old like mine, gunstar won't show at present.

Thanks for that. Yes mine is 9.3.5 (13G36) so presumably too old to read it. You say `Gunstar (Freudian slip there i.e.Gunstar, don`t let Anthony see that !) won`t show at present`, does that mean that Guntrader will be making modifications so that it can be read, or am I stuck with the built in obsolescence of my ipad ?

Perhaps Anthony of Guntrader will kindly be back to answer that.

OB

39 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Thanks for that. Yes mine is 9.3.5 (13G36) so presumably too old to read it. You say `Gunstar (Freudian slip there i.e.Gunstar, don`t let Anthony see that !) won`t show at present`, does that mean that Guntrader will be making modifications so that it can be read, or am I stuck with the built in obsolescence of my ipad ?

Perhaps Anthony of Guntrader will kindly be back to answer that.

OB

Yes, thanks Seadog. Mine is on the latest iOS version so that would explain it. I'm guessing an older iPad won't run iOS 11. Wait and see what Anthony comes back with!