Side by Side Club

AYA117

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Mine is a proper aya no3 magnum made in 1979 email aya last year they give me information on it double trigger on mine i know some matadors had single triggers

Better photo

D80D6CBD-1A80-4C1F-ABB3-F111FA03F864.jpeg

They should`ve made a No4 Magnum too ,would`ve sold well I think especially with 29" barrels but all too late now !!!

Edited by matone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got an AYA brochure from 1962.

In 1962 a No.1 was £175 and a No.2 was £93, according to google the average wage was £799

In 2018 a No.1 is £14,000 and a No.2 is £6,300, again from google the average wage is £25,000

So as a percentage of the average wage they have near as dam it doubled in price! How times change.

Since announcing my intention to save up for a few months and buy a sidelock I happened to stumble on a cheap one adverised on Guntrader which I couldn't resist for the money. A couple of phone calls followed and RFD's were put in touch with each other - the result being that a rather nice Ugartechea was collected this morning and tried out at Mickley Hall clay ground on the way home?. I think it's 1971 as it has R.1 on the flats. The wood is nicer than I thought it would be. 2 3/4 chambers and a concave rib. I was told it was half and full, but there are 4 stars on the right barrel and 2 on the left - so quarter and half? That'll do for me. Barrels are 27 and 3/4 which are the same as my other Uggie (boxlock). 

The stock is pretty short, which suits me (measures 14 and a quarter to front trigger) but seems to have a left cast on it. I find this odd, because it comes up fine for me and I'm right handed! I hit most of what I shot at earlier including some quite "snappy" shots that didn't come from where I thought they were going to appear from. I also got some very brisk long crossers that I couldn't get with my o/u a few weeks back. What do you think? Don't worry about the cast and see how things progress? Seems odd to think I'm shooting a left handed gun. To be honest, the chap I bought it off didn't know much and I'm sure he wouldn't have known if I'd asked him. 

It's got an articulated front trigger too (Wooooo- never had one of those before) but my other Uggie doesn't and I've never had a bruised finger from second barrel shots. My sausagefingers are not small either. Nice feature I suppose. I know my mate suffers with his Webley and Scott 700 (but you are probably just holding it wrong Simon ?)

Disk set strikers, ejects well, barrels are clean and bright (now I've cleaned it) but the gunsmith was the first to look down them and he slowly shook his head and did the tut-tut thing.... Christ that was worrying! ? Fortunately no pits, it was just dirty!

It's certainly not stiff, but no rattles apart from some side to side play in the fore end, but not the barrels. The bluing on the barrels is great but there is some wear on the trigger guard, consistent with it being carried left handed. Amazingly good condition for it's age bearing in mind it must have been carried a LOT over the years. I promise to look after it in a similar fashion!

If anyone has any info on what model it is I'd love to find out some more about it.

I can put more pictures up if the drop-box links don't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6ui7ezkkl0dj0o/20180525_145628.jpg?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/te741j5nary3kd2/20180525_144415.jpg?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwgg9w4vvch3mvp/20180525_141444.jpg?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f15dqds9or6wbs/20180525_141317.jpg?dl=0

1527260990475700690551.jpg

Since announcing my intention to save up for a few months and buy a sidelock I happened to stumble on a cheap one adverised on Guntrader which I couldn't resist for the money. A couple of phone calls followed and RFD's were put in touch with each other - the result being that a rather nice Ugartechea was collected this morning and tried out at Mickley Hall clay ground on the way home?. I think it's 1971 as it has R.1 on the flats. The wood is nicer than I thought it would be. 2 3/4 chambers and a concave rib. I was told it was half and full, but there are 4 stars on the right barrel and 2 on the left - so quarter and half? That'll do for me. Barrels are 27 and 3/4 which are the same as my other Uggie (boxlock). 

The stock is pretty short, which suits me (measures 14 and a quarter to front trigger) but seems to have a left cast on it. I find this odd, because it comes up fine for me and I'm right handed! I hit most of what I shot at earlier including some quite "snappy" shots that didn't come from where I thought they were going to appear from. I also got some very brisk long crossers that I couldn't get with my o/u a few weeks back. What do you think? Don't worry about the cast and see how things progress? Seems odd to think I'm shooting a left handed gun. To be honest, the chap I bought it off didn't know much and I'm sure he wouldn't have known if I'd asked him. 

It's got an articulated front trigger too (Wooooo- never had one of those before) but my other Uggie doesn't and I've never had a bruised finger from second barrel shots. My sausagefingers are not small either. Nice feature I suppose. I know my mate suffers with his Webley and Scott 700 (but you are probably just holding it wrong Simon ?)

Disk set strikers, ejects well, barrels are clean and bright (now I've cleaned it) but the gunsmith was the first to look down them and he slowly shook his head and did the tut-tut thing.... Christ that was worrying! ? Fortunately no pits, it was just dirty!

It's certainly not stiff, but no rattles apart from some side to side play in the fore end, but not the barrels. The bluing on the barrels is great but there is some wear on the trigger guard, consistent with it being carried left handed. Amazingly good condition for it's age bearing in mind it must have been carried a LOT over the years. I promise to look after it in a similar fashion!

If anyone has any info on what model it is I'd love to find out some more about it.

I can put more pictures up if the drop-box links don't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6ui7ezkkl0dj0o/20180525_145628.jpg?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/te741j5nary3kd2/20180525_144415.jpg?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwgg9w4vvch3mvp/20180525_141444.jpg?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f15dqds9or6wbs/20180525_141317.jpg?dl=0

Sell it to him for a small profit; you can always borrow it back !!!!.

I may well be able to help you with the model number, but my book; `Spanish Best` is out on loan to a pal of mine and I am waiting for him to return it.

Edited by JJsDad

11 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Sell it to him for a small profit; you can always borrow it back !!!!.

I may well be able to help you with the model number, but my book; `Spanish Best` is out on loan to a pal of mine and I am waiting for him to return it.

The sad thing is....he's actually got more money than me! I have a slight overdraft situation until the end of the month now. The serial number is 110179. Good excuse to get your book back? 

24 minutes ago, hairysausagefingers said:

The sad thing is....he's actually got more money than me! I have a slight overdraft situation until the end of the month now. The serial number is 110179. Good excuse to get your book back? 

Look on the bright side, it is only 6 days to the end of the month and you have a cracking new gun. The triggers look like they are set for right handed!

1 minute ago, AYA117 said:

Look on the bright side, it is only 6 days to the end of the month and you have a cracking new gun. The triggers look like they are set for right handed!

Good point! It had never occured to me they would be the other round. I'll see if I can gauge the offset with a straight edge. 

He's gone quiet about it now. I won't mention it again and he might even forget I've got it. 

Its always difficult to be precise when looking at a photograph; however, have a look at the following link. It looks highly similar to a Model 110 but you may be able to judge better with the gun in your hands. If you click on `Models` it illustrates the various boxlock & sidelocks available at that time.

http://www.ugartecheashotguns.com/?lang=en

Edited by JJsDad
Spelling

Well. Seeing how the Ad is still `live`, the guy must have been desperate for the cash, totally mad or a combination of both !

Talk about the early bird catching the worm, must be the best deal I have seen for a while. You would struggle to get a clapped out old dog of a pump gun for that price.

Nice buy.

18 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Its always difficult to be precise when looking at a photograph; however, have a look at the following link. It looks highly similar to a Model 110 but you may be able to judge better with the gun in your hands. If you click on `Models` it illustrates the various boxlock & sidelocks available at that time.

http://www.ugartecheashotguns.com/?lang=en

Yes, thank you. It is highly similar. The engraving pattern is very slightly different and the pattern of pins is different too. Mine is probably an older vesion of that one. 

1527267897879208234773.jpg

6 minutes ago, hairysausagefingers said:

Yes, thank you. It is highly similar. The engraving pattern is very slightly different and the pattern of pins is different too. Mine is probably an older vesion of that one. 

1527267897879208234773.jpg

Nice gun whichever model it is ! The Borders Gunroom had a similar one in last year too.

16 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Well. Seeing how the Ad is still `live`, the guy must have been desperate for the cash, totally mad or a combination of both !

Talk about the early bird catching the worm, must be the best deal I have seen for a while. You would struggle to get a clapped out old dog of a pump gun for that price.

Nice buy.

I agree, a real bargain, well done :good:

Guest stevo
1 minute ago, AYA117 said:

Nobody made you read it, so 'move on'

Joke ..... that’s why there was a little smiley face .... so chill your precious self out .