Side by Side Club

AYA117

1 hour ago, Feltwad said:

Too good for a museum here is mine

It is certainly 'shootable'.  Its a 12 from 1810, later converted to percussion.  My godfather who owned it used to shoot grouse over a pointer with it.  All in pretty good order and plenty of metal, good wall thickness etc.  One day I will get around to using it!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It is certainly 'shootable'.  Its a 12 from 1810, later converted to percussion.  My godfather who owned it used to shoot grouse over a pointer with it.  All in pretty good order and plenty of metal, good wall thickness etc.  One day I will get around to using it!

Yes it looks a nice gun any makers name. May I say and  I am not nit picking  but the gun looks to me  of a  later date say 1840 -50 and is of a true percussion build , I have restored several guns  like yours with the broad band of Damascus barrels .

Feltwad

Maker is Joseph Manton, and it was dated by W Keith Neal and DHL Back in the book The Mantons: Gunmakers (in which it is included in the lists of 'known' guns) from its serial number (barrels, action all correct serial numbers).  It was converted to percussion in approx 1842 when the then owner was one of my godfather's ancestors.  It is certainly a conversion, though that isn't the world's clearest photo.

Edited by JohnfromUK

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Maker is Joseph Manton, and it was dated by W Keith Neal and DHL Back in the book The Mantons: Gunmakers (in which it is included in the lists of 'known' guns) from its serial number (barrels, action all correct serial numbers).  It was converted to percussion in approx 1842 when the then owner was one of my godfather's ancestors.  It is certainly a conversion, though that isn't the world's clearest photo.

Is it cased ? 

Feltwad

Having been tipped the wink, bit surprised that no one has commented on this:

Obviously it needs to be viewed before making any decision, but had I not just spent out on a Webley and Scott, I'd have been all over Lot 154 like a rash. Here is an English AyA but not at Churchill prices. Mind you, there's still time to change...............

1 minute ago, wymberley said:

Having been tipped the wink, bit surprised that no one has commented on this:

Obviously it needs to be viewed before making any decision, but had I not just spent out on a Webley and Scott, I'd have been all over Lot 154 like a rash. Here is an English AyA but not at Churchill prices. Mind you, there's still time to change...............

hello, many years ago i had an Army and Navy of the same specifications, made for an officer in the Royal Navy,  

37 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, many years ago i had an Army and Navy of the same specifications, made for an officer in the Royal Navy,  

As they didn't actually make guns, yours was possibly made by Webley which in turn was possibly actually made by................

On 2 June 2018 at 10:41, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We ALL have sold guns only to regret it later!

You've started us down another track of this great side by side club.

SxSs that I've regretted selling -: a W.R.Leeson SLE, a W.R.Pape BLE and a C.Hellis BLNE. All in 16g.

Come on let"s hear other people's regrettable sales.

OB

1 minute ago, wymberley said:

That'll be a 'no' I guess then

I dont think the acronym`s meant anything to him. It does to me, albeit in my `previous` life. I could have picked it up for him as I was at Krefeld at one point, just up the road from Dusseldorf.

4 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

I dont think the acronym`s meant anything to him. It does to me, albeit in my `previous` life. I could have picked it up for him as I was at Krefeld at one point, just up the road from Dusseldorf.

Yep, and hence the 'no'. And there would have been no mehrwertsteuer.

Regretted sale William Morton 1870's London made best hammer gun, Jones underlever 30 inch Damascus barrels... Not sure I regret selling it but I regret selling it badly. 

Bought £475. Sold at the bottom of the market and was greatful for the £250 I needed for setting up the workshop at the new place. Lost loads of money and a gun of the type that is getting hard to find.

As an example of 1870's gun making it was fantastic. As a gun to shoot it was poor. The barrels were a touch thin and in this case had a tendency to ring when shot which was an unpleasant sensation. It was also cast heavily for right handed shooting, myself shooting of the left shoulder. 

Thing is they just don't seem to be about at the moment... Certainly not for £250 

OK things are getting ?. For years an o/u man. Then for some reason I take myself down to the local auction promising myself that I was not going to buy anything.... Two hours later out I walk with a Aya #3 16 bore, and a huge smile. 

1 hour ago, Esca said:

OK things are getting ?. For years an o/u man. Then for some reason I take myself down to the local auction promising myself that I was not going to buy anything.... Two hours later out I walk with a Aya #3 16 bore, and a huge smile. 

Nice one ! Enjoy. :good:

Edit: PS If and only if your gun was Lot No 211, do you by any chance know what 154 went for?

Edited by wymberley

I own a 12g agnew & son Exeter ble which is a nice gun, but was lucky enough to borrow this for a days driven shooting last season. I didn't shoot any better with it than I do with my old aya no4, but there's just something about waiting for a drive to start with a best London gun in your hands. 

DSC_1239.JPG