Side by Side Club

AYA117

7 minutes ago, reidler said:

I own a 12g agnew & son Exeter ble which is a nice gun, but was lucky enough to borrow this for a days driven shooting last season. I didn't shoot any better with it than I do with my old aya no4, but there's just something about waiting for a drive to start with a best London gun in your hands. 

Did you find the 'self opening' (called by some 'stiff closing') to be a help, a hindrance, or was it not really noticeable once the action started?

I use both an AyA No 1 (not a self opener) and a Henry Atkin (self opener).  I find I don't really notice the difference in opening/closure when out in the field.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, wymberley said:

Nice one ! Enjoy. :good:

Edit: PS If and only if your gun was Lot No 211, do you by any chance know what 154 went for?

Not sure which auction you are referring to but most issue a hammer price of all lots after the auction. Perhaps if they did, this may tell you. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Not sure which auction you are referring to but most issue a hammer price of all lots after the auction. Perhaps if they did, this may tell you. Just a thought.

Good thought. I've already checked but will do so again as I might have been a tad premature seeing how 'tis the weekend.

11 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Is this a covert way of telling the Club you have splashed out and bought that Roland Watson, as well as the Webley ???

No prices showing up on their auction site as yet, so perhaps you have only just been told you were the high bidder. :yahoo:

No, I didn't go for it although sorely tempted subject to condition/price. A few years back I'd have been all over it like a rash. A hint as to why not is the fact that I'm just about to go out of the door on route to the UKGR's 'For Sale' rack with the little AYA XXV and Anschutz 22LR thumbhole carbine.

1 hour ago, JJsDad said:

Aagh so. Its my devious mind thinking you were getting around to telling us you had bought, not that you were selling !

Neither really, originally just pointing out a potential very good purchase. There's another make with the same spec' - possibly not so expensive - no not mine - a Webley and Scott in XXV style at UKGR.

I've just got back and am well pleased with their suggested figures - particularly the AyA, but there again it's not just a bog standard XXV boxlock.

23 hours ago, wymberley said:

Neither really, originally just pointing out a potential very good purchase. There's another make with the same spec' - possibly not so expensive - no not mine - a Webley and Scott in XXV style at UKGR.

I've just got back and am well pleased with their suggested figures - particularly the AyA, but there again it's not just a bog standard XXV boxlock.

It's getting complicated. Apart from getting the year of manufacture from the Ser. No., the only record AyA have of this gun is that it is a "Churchill". Looking at its picture on here reflects that there's something unusual about it. Fortunately, ASI are now intrigued as AyA have no real infomation and are looking into it for a small fee.

On 10/06/2018 at 12:34, Esca said:

OK things are getting ?. For years an o/u man. Then for some reason I take myself down to the local auction promising myself that I was not going to buy anything.... Two hours later out I walk with a Aya #3 16 bore, and a huge smile. 

Here are some pic

_20180613_192707.JPG

_20180613_192541.JPG

14 hours ago, matone said:

Good ,tidy gun ,be lovely to shoot !

Yes it is patterned it the other day, very happy.

13 hours ago, wymberley said:

Think the word I'm looking for is 'jammy'.

Thank you ?.

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Lovely gun to own, shoot and carry all day. Also in the best gauge in my opinion.

OB

It will be my carry gun when out and about, and on beaters day when picking with the dogs. As I have mentioned in a previous post my lad uses a 16o/u and swears by it.

I am surprised that it went out of popularity. They are a nice weight gun with a cartridge that can give you all the results of a 12. Even now when we are at the clay ground people raise there eybrows when learning it is a 16.

7 minutes ago, Esca said:

Yes it is patterned it the other day, very happy.

Thank you ?.

It will be my carry gun when out and about, and on beaters day when picking with the dogs. As I have mentioned in a previous post my lad uses a 16o/u and swears by it.

I am surprised that it went out of popularity. They are a nice weight gun with a cartridge that can give you all the results of a 12. Even now when we are at the clay ground people raise there eybrows when learning it is a 16.

I know they`re mainly up & overs but Longthorne seem to be popularising 16`s again,a couple of my friends have bought them and like them a lot...

I have never owned a 16 though have handled a couple, and have always been put off by the high cost and relative poor availability (and choice) of the ammunition.  To me - it is very much like a light 12, but for me anyway, the light 12 would be preferable - if only for the ammunition reasons.

28 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have never owned a 16 though have handled a couple, and have always been put off by the high cost and relative poor availability (and choice) of the ammunition.  To me - it is very much like a light 12, but for me anyway, the light 12 would be preferable - if only for the ammunition reasons.

True enough now, but not previously always so. Although on a different topic, plus I have no wish to put words in his mouth, Panoma 1 was/is right when he said, "We had the best of it". John's comments don't only apply to the 16 but the 12 as well when you consider the range of options that were available in the era which Panoma's quote describes. To be honest, I'm not quite sure who to blame for the shrinking range from which we have to choose - we shooters or the cartridge manufacturers and not forgetting the importers. I'm not talking so much about clay pigeon cartridges or the availability of manufacturers, they're both legion, but the game range. Anyone of an age will have no problem remembering the availability of a multitude of offerings in 6&1/2 and 7 shot, particularly in anything more than 28g.

001.jpg

Sorry to post this photo yet again, but I have a problem. An analogy would be trying to sell a Vauxhall Astra and in the sales notice calling it a Corsa.

I don't suppose by any chance anyone has one of these. To all intents and purposes, it appears to be an AyA XXV Boxlock. However, have a look at the back of the action. Look closely though and all I'll say is that it's not the same as the #4 Boxlock De Luxe/Best quality Boxlock but matches the 107-L1 which it isn't. The only information AyA can give me is just one word and armed with that and the Ser. No., ASI are having a look for me. However, so far the guy who has replied  before I gave all the info I had and who has been with ASI for 37 years has never seen the like.

AyA have always made to order when requested.  It is entirely possible that this was made to order.  If that is the case, I'm surprised there aren't better records, but there was a period (about 1980 to 1987) when the guns were made under DiArm - which turned out to be an unhappy shambles for all concerned.  Possibly records in that period were incomplete?

A friend of mine has a Model 53 with (original) 25" barrels.  I have seen over the years a few other 'non standard' ones including one with Beesley pattern locks, but lever cocked and without the self opening normally associated with a Beesley type, and a 'heavy acanthus style engraving'.  The owner (a keen and knowledgeable collector) says it was a '1 off' made to order.  In addition to the 'options' listed as available, I believe it has always been possible to build completely to order.

Interestingly, one rarely sees custom engraving on AyA's, though it is available I believe.  I suppose those who have the necessary funds for that type of customisation probably go "best English", or 'top grade Italian'.

Thanks, John, food for thought. The gun is from 1964. I'll see what ASI have to say - if anything. Subject to being proved wrong by any info from ASI, I have a gut feeling what it might be bearing in mind the one word from AyA. It depends on when the XXV range was introduced. I haven't a clue but would hazard a guess that this was after the ASI partnership with AyA started in 1958. It's not a bad guess as the one and only word which AyA have on their records against the gun's Ser. No. is it's model name - "Churchill". I'm wondering if this evolved into XXV.