Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, wymberley said:

001.jpg

Sorry to post this photo yet again, but I have a problem. An analogy would be trying to sell a Vauxhall Astra and in the sales notice calling it a Corsa.

I don't suppose by any chance anyone has one of these. To all intents and purposes, it appears to be an AyA XXV Boxlock. However, have a look at the back of the action. Look closely though and all I'll say is that it's not the same as the #4 Boxlock De Luxe/Best quality Boxlock but matches the 107-L1 which it isn't. The only information AyA can give me is just one word and armed with that and the Ser. No., ASI are having a look for me. However, so far the guy who has replied  before I gave all the info I had and who has been with ASI for 37 years has never seen the like.

Gough Thomas in his Second Gun Book ,has a photo of the same model circa 1970,which he describes as`my favourite AYA XXV`.

Hth.

Edited by matone

23 minutes ago, matone said:

Gough Thomas in his Second Gun Book ,has a photo of the same model circa 1970,which he describes as`my favourite AYA XXV`.

Hth.

Brilliant, thank you very much. :good:

I have a copy of Shotguns & Cartridges for game and clays  and lo and behold there's the same gun (action) from 1963 as mine from 1964. I think it's probably fair to say that at some point the XXVs - 25s call them what you will - boxlocks changed from a scalloped action to a straight one.

22 minutes ago, matone said:

Have seen a few of them,they mostly seem to be 2 1/2" chambered too.very nice guns !

Yep, mine is, they're 2&3/4 now of course. I've knocked the game shooting on the head now and am settling for the pigeon and No 7 shot. Although it's OK at the moment, it is getting harder to find game cartridges in fibre, 7s and 2&1/2" flavour. Consequently I'm swapping it for a very nice Webley and Scott.

Thanks again

Is it just me or are SbSs starting to move with regard to demand? I've been keeping an eye out just recently on a couple of half decent makes and it would appear so. The Webley and Scott pages on Gun Search to which I have been paying attention seem to change on a daily basis. A couple of weeks back there was seven pages of offerings, but now it's down to just 4.

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

Is it just me or are SbSs starting to move with regard to demand? I've been keeping an eye out just recently on a couple of half decent makes and it would appear so. The Webley and Scott pages on Gun Search to which I have been paying attention seem to change on a daily basis. A couple of weeks back there was seven pages of offerings, but now it's down to just 4.

My Webley 700 is still for sale - mint condition.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 13:02, wymberley said:

Maybe it is because of Side by Side Club, people are slowly stepping out of the dark and buying 'proper' guns again :lol:

7 hours ago, AYA117 said:

Maybe it is because of Side by Side Club, people are slowly stepping out of the dark and buying 'proper' guns again 

There are still many bargains to be had in the side by side market, so get out there and grab one before they return to more realistic prices. 

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 05:04, cjm said:

1885 Hammer gun, count me in

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:29, Mike Sadler said:

Hi count me in Pedro Gorosable and Aramberi

23 hours ago, guzzicat said:

Membership please, !0 bore Kestrel,2 T Entwhistle (1, 3" n/e & 1, 2 "/34 Ejector) W. H. Pollard  2 1/2" sidelock ejector &  an AYA yeoman . will post pics shortly

Any chance of some pictures ?

On 19/06/2018 at 10:25, guzzicat said:

Membership please, !0 bore Kestrel,2 T Entwhistle (1, 3" n/e & 1, 2 "/34 Ejector) W. H. Pollard  2 1/2" sidelock ejector &  an AYA yeoman . will post pics shortly

If in the event that you don't happen to have any straps for the Pollard motor case, I have two off an old Hellis case which have the patina close to that of your case and which just might suit.

18 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

Pics of Pollard (sent to wrong site) The finish match is better in real life, rest of pics are too big, will post pics of rest of toybox in A/M & try more pics of Pollard

IMG_3679.JPG

Now, that is interesting. The photo here is much clearer than the other one posted. As a result, I can read Pollard's address. My step-son has a Williamson which was made at either No 3 or 5 - they moved from one to t'other. We do know which as we worked it out from the proof marks but I can't quite remember the specifics offhand.

Well, if this doesn't sell it won't be the fault of UKGR, cracking advert and particularly the photo's

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/aya/side-by-side/12-gauge/best-quality-boxlock-180620151811013

13 hours ago, The Lawn Ranger said:

Count me in.

Here's my Midland, no1 of a pair, I don't have the other but cash always waiting.

Restored a number of years ago by David McKay Brown Gunmakers of Bothwell. Circa 1937 with some interesting history.

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

More pics

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

You just simply have to find it.