Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The magicians at Heathfield have done it again. Picked up the Webley & Scott earlier. OK, it wasn't really a sow's ear to start with but is now a silk purse. 1974 and the only mark on it is on the rib which will disappear as, when or if the barrels ever need re-blacking As has been said, this one wasn't a sleeper, it's been in a coma.

003.jpg

Hopefully, the colour hardening which still remains on the action faces can be seen.
002.jpg

On 25 June 2018 at 12:07, farmer7 said:

AYA Best Quality boxlock in the unsold lots at Holts last sale if anyone is looking. Bit different to the one in the link above, possibly older??  https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=XA0618++1710+&refno=++126470&saletype=

£780 all in is a good price for a cracking looking gun. I'm surprised it didn't sell in the auction. Do they put a reserve on the lots at Holts ?

OB

33 minutes ago, stan1664 said:

No 3 with 3'' chamber with as much open choke as possible 

Im not bothered about it being double trigger or no eject 

Many of those are misdescribed by dealers as Matadors..it`ll pay to look at ads for those !

I had a look at the aya best Boxlock that holts had in the unsold lots at the Scone Palace Gamefair it had a few marks up the barrel an one very slight dent in one of the tubes . A lot of gun for the money when they are asking over £7000 for a new one. I did look at an AYA 25 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it balanced, Ill definitely be checking out more 25 inch barrelled side by sides the one I looked at was £650 on the tag

6 hours ago, Konor said:

I had a look at the aya best Boxlock that holts had in the unsold lots at the Scone Palace Gamefair it had a few marks up the barrel an one very slight dent in one of the tubes . A lot of gun for the money when they are asking over £7000 for a new one. I did look at an AYA 25 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it balanced, Ill definitely be checking out more 25 inch barrelled side by sides the one I looked at was £650 on the tag

There is an AYA 25 Boxlock for sale on Guntrader for £745 with absolutely stunning woodwork. Might be worth a look.

OB

17 hours ago, AYA117 said:

For not  lot more you could look at a XXV Sidelock :good:

That’s a good point aya117 I do like the Boxlock especially with a scalloped action and always thought sidelocks a bit out of reach. I’ll definitely have a look, I don’t think I have ever shouldered a xxv sidelock I’d imagine with that little bit extra weight between the hands it should balance well,thanks

12 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

There is an AYA 25 Boxlock for sale on Guntrader for £745 with absolutely stunning woodwork. Might be worth a look.

OB

Thanks OB I think there’s a lot of satisfaction in owning a gun that’s been well looked after and that looks like such a gun. The fascinating thing about side by sides is the variety available and I think they have a bit more character than a similarly priced over and under.

I know of someone searching for a 32 inch barrelled hammer gun 1 1/4 oz proofed old 2 3/4 inch chamber heavily choked and weight of 8 lb or more but no success . I think it sounds like an old live pigeon gun or perhaps wildfowling piece but he has had no luck in what has been a long search. Does anyone have such a gun or know of one for sale. He is so specific that I wonder if the quest is the adventure it’s certainly an unusual gun. Anyone any ideas?

Think I am well in.

Decided to move on my 1920s best Belgian Dumoulin 12g to make room for a new hammergun!

Problem was that although the gun is in excellent condition and tight as a drum the barrels were "a bit scruffy" on the outside.

So like a fool decided to to do a slow rust blacking job on them!

I now know why it's so expensive to have done and also why it's called "slow". Nevertheless I am satisfied with the finish.

Looks as if the gun was custom made for a Mr Kawak  which perhaps explains the very plain sideplates.

DUMOULIN REBLACK 003.JPG

DUMOULIN REBLACK 005.JPG

DUMOULIN REBLACK 007.JPG

DUMOULIN REBLACK 008.JPG

23 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

Wow, you got a very good finish on those barrels, which product did you use, was it Phillips?

No. Twas E J Blackley and son. Tried to get our daughter in Canada to bring over some Pilkintons but she looked at the ingredients and declined. I will have a look for the Phillips.

EDIT. Just had a look at Phillips and can only see COLD blue solution. Mine is a traditional slow rust blue. Two totally different procedures.

Edited by DUNKS