Side by Side Club

AYA117

8 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

No. Twas E J Blackley and son. Tried to get our daughter in Canada to bring over some Pilkintons but she looked at the ingredients and declined. I will have a look for the Phillips.

Thank you, I may try that myself.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely one of mine .Free'ers were the only people who put a ID stamp on the gun that was visible . "Freeing was the job of putting the gun together after the action had been hardened  seeing that it was tight ,on face ,that the action was timed to cock correctly ,the ejector work timed and pulls set . The barrels were then blacked and the metal parts blacked before final assembly . Basically to make sure it worked. 

We got the blame if any thing went wrong and had to correct any faults that occurred in the build process , which sometimes included fitting new inside work , springs or pins/screws . We also had frequently to sort out any problems on any returned guns [fortunately very few ] 

During my 9 years at W&S I did pretty much all the action work at one time or another from jointing ,lever work . inside work , ejectors  ,freeing and fitting for 3 years as well as final assembly and finishing .So if a gun was made between 1969 and 1977 there is a 80% chance I did some work on it .

Edited by Gunman

34 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Definitely one of mine .Free'ers were the only people who put a ID stamp on the gun that was visible . "Freeing was the job of putting the gun together after the action had been hardened  seeing that it was tight ,on face ,that the action was timed to cock correctly ,the ejector work timed and pulls set . The barrels were then blacked and the metal parts blacked before final assembly . Basically to make sure it worked. 

We got the blame if any thing went wrong and had to correct any faults that occurred in the build process , which sometimes included fitting new inside work , springs or pins/screws . We also had frequently to sort out any problems on any returned guns [fortunately very few ] 

During my 9 years at W&S I did pretty much all the action work at one time or another from jointing ,lever work . inside work , ejectors  ,freeing and fitting for 3 years as well as final assembly and finishing .So if a gun was made between 1969 and 1977 there is a 80% chance I did some work on it .

Thanks for your very interesting information on your job description while working for W&S.

I recently purchased the Webley locally to where I live, and it had been a real sleeper which still retains its full colour hardening etc. As it was left hand cast when purchased - I had it cast to right hand by Greenwood Gunsmiths.

A lovely gun which I look forward to using this coming game season.

17 hours ago, Gunman said:

sound's like you probably had a part in my '74 700 then 

29 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

I think all the cold blue solutions are not too permanent. The stuff I am using is for slow rust blue. The most durable black there is.

I have a spare AYA No.2 that is in need of the barrels doing and once Autumn comes I will have time in the evenings, so will give it a go, thank you for the info.

7 hours ago, AYA117 said:

Does it give a lasting finish or does it wear off like I have heard that Birchwood Casey does ?

Have some barrels that I did several decades ago and it is still good  not a glossy black but a black with a mat finish  known has Birmingham Black

Feltwad

Hi. Quick look for you of my latest find.

T DAINTITH of Warrington. Little known gunmaker of fine guns. This one around 1890 we think. I am reliably told it's a pigeon gun with it's wide flat rib.

Just had it rejointed. Seems to be in reasonable nick for such an old gun. Bores to be honest could be a tad better. It's proofed black powder only but that's what I want it for. I

have cleaned up the outside of the barrels and intend to brown them.

1084183680_DAINTITH005.JPG.63a8e7294413a7d521319f5bde4de893.JPG

Hi. Quick look for you of my latest find.

T DAINTITH of Warrington. Little known gunmaker of fine guns. This one around 1890 we think. I am reliably told it's a pigeon gun with it's wide flat rib.

Just had it rejointed. Seems to be in reasonable nick for such an old gun. Bores to be honest could be a tad better. It's proofed black powder only but that's what I want it for. I

have cleaned up the outside of the barrels and intend to brown them.

1084183680_DAINTITH005.JPG.63a8e7294413a7d521319f5bde4de893.JPG

Few more.

DAINTITH 007.JPG

DAINTITH 010.JPG

DAINTITH 011.JPG

DAINTITH 013.JPG

DAINTITH 014.JPG

8 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

Churchills of Dereham have a pair of Cogswell & Harrison assisted opening sidelock ejectors, in fitted case for under £2k!  on Guntrader , look like they need a bit of work but look a steal.Too far away for me.

They are sideplate boxlocks and need tic hence the price. Cogswells have never been that popular in my experience I saw some of the avant tout models with fractured actions on proof. I am sure they will have their devotees but I am not one of them I am afraid.

2 hours ago, guzzicat said:

Churchills of Dereham have a pair of Cogswell & Harrison assisted opening sidelock ejectors, in fitted case for under £2k!  on Guntrader , look like they need a bit of work but look a steal.Too far away for me.

C+H are j generally junk. Ask any gun dealer and he won’t want go near one

• 2 weeks later...

I’m back in the club :) 

picked up a Master side by side 12 Bore today that belonged to a good friend of mine before he died a few weeks back ? 

its only a cheapish gun but I wanted a cheap side by side that was nice and light for training my new spaniel :) so will be ideal and a good keep sake to remember my mate!