Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:13, Lloyd90 said:

I’m back in the club :) 

picked up a Master side by side 12 Bore today that belonged to a good friend of mine before he died a few weeks back ? 

its only a cheapish gun but I wanted a cheap side by side that was nice and light for training my new spaniel :) so will be ideal and a good keep sake to remember my mate! 

Good to have you back :good:

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Think it’s about 1920

Hi Old farrier.

I have a book on Webley & Scott written by a chap who was a past Director . If you want to PM me the serial number I may be able to narrow the date down if its of interest.

Cheers

JJsDad

38 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Hi Old farrier.

I have a book on Webley & Scott written by a chap who was a past Director . If you want to PM me the serial number I may be able to narrow the date down if its of interest.

Cheers

JJsDad

Thank you so much you’re a star I’ll get it out again later and send you the number 

always interested in the history of the Guns 

All the best 

of 

Hi Old farrier.

Your serial number dates your gun between 1916 & 1920. Gun number 9200 dates from 1916 and the next number jump was to 9300 in 1920. Bearing in mind this was in the middle of WW1, I would have thought W&S were inundated with orders for war related products and therefore it is likely to be circa 1919 gun, which is much as you expected.

From your photo`s, it would appear to be what was initially known as a `Proprietary` model grade 2. These were later given the number designation of Model 400 and were produced from 1900 through to 1946. The price for this gun in grade 2 in 1914 was £24 !!!!!!

Trust this helps.

JJsDad

On 01/08/2018 at 20:20, JJsDad said:

Hi Old farrier.

Your serial number dates your gun between 1916 & 1920. Gun number 9200 dates from 1916 and the next number jump was to 9300 in 1920. Bearing in mind this was in the middle of WW1, I would have thought W&S were inundated with orders for war related products and therefore it is likely to be circa 1919 gun, which is much as you expected.

From your photo`s, it would appear to be what was initially known as a `Proprietary` model grade 2. These were later given the number designation of Model 400 and were produced from 1900 through to 1946. The price for this gun in grade 2 in 1914 was £24 !!!!!!

Trust this helps.

JJsDad

THANKS JJsDad , for the interesting information , If I could be transported back in time ( with today's assets ) , it would be the only time in my life I could afford a new gun and with what little that was left over I could just about buy a box of 1914 cartridges , I wonder what a box from that era would be worth today , in the box and unopened :thanks: 

On 01/08/2018 at 20:20, JJsDad said:

Hi Old farrier.

Trust this helps.

JJsDad

Thanks for the information to add a little more information on the rib it’s stamped Birmingham and London 

all the best 

of 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

on the rib it’s stamped Birmingham and London

This was quite a common practice used by a number of Birminham makers to attract customers due to the perceived qudos of saying "I have a London made gun".  While some actually had a retail outlet actually in London a number did not. There was, and probably still is to a small degree a snobbishness attached to the gun trade where the London set rather looked down on the Birmingham makers, probably because the skilled London craftsmen earnt better money than their conterparts in the midlands, purely due to the higher cost of living and working in the capital. But wages aside; the best that London makers produced could be matched by firms such as William Powell, Westley Richards and a number of others.

Meant to put this in the side by side section and ended up somewhere else.

The barrels on my Daintith were "painted" with some horrible instant browning solution so I decided to give browning a go. This is my first attempt. Colour seems to alter depending on the light, both photos were taken within minutes of each other. But I am well pleased.

DAINTITH BARRELS 007.JPG

DAINTITH BARRELS 011.JPG

Edited by DUNKS

6 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Meant to put this in the side by side section and ended up somewhere else.

The barrels on my Daintith were "painted" with some horrible instant browning solution so I decided to give browning a go. This is my first attempt. Colour seems to alter depending on the light, both photos were taken within minutes of each other. But I am well pleased.

DAINTITH BARRELS 007.JPG

DAINTITH BARRELS 011.JPG

You should post a photo of that stunning stock in this section, just in case anyone missed it elsewhere. It shows what an absolute beauty the gun is.

OB

9 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Thanks for the compliment but the stock is there on an earlier post. It was taken before I browned the barrels.

Regards.

Sorry about that, but without having to wade through 32 pages of this great thread, please post it again to keep that wonderful stock fresh in our minds.

OB

I do think that's one of the best looking stocks I've seen. Simply stunning.

Do you have a link to, or can you detail the, method used to get that excellent result on your barrels? 

Edited by Mr.C
Stubby digits

Of course.

Quick detail. clean and emery to 320 grit. Clean clean clean. No oil. I rust with Blackleys solution. Wait till fine rusted.4 hrs to overnight. Dip in Ferric chloride 8 to 1 with water for 15 sec then card off with de oiled 0000 wire wool under water. rinse and dry off.

Then do it all over again these barrels were done nine times. They say the more times the browner the finish.

Bear in mind this is my first set. They also say this finish varies with the metals used in the barrels.

I also read there are over 100 ways recorded to do this, so take your pick.

Edited by DUNKS

2 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Thanks for that. Mine, top of page 8, are a bit of a sludgey brown colour and worn where the hand has gripped. 

Tiz a beautiful gun though. Have a go you cant do a lot of harm. Just don't forget to plug the bores.