Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you the case was made for me by an Amish craftsman. He uses no power tools. The big 8 bore is a Enos James of Birmingham gun . At 13.5 lbs its a monster. I am not sure why it's got 2 barrels you can't see for a follow up shot from the smoke of a black powder charge. Enos James exported a lot of big bore guns to the US for Waterfowlers in the mid to late 1800s. The next 3  are 3 different Ithaca 10 bores. The first is a massive 3 1/2  magnum 10. The first gun to be chamberd for that magnum round. Next is the Ithaca super 10 2 7/8 chamber. Next my grandfathers Ithaca Flues 10 ga. Last is a Spanish 10 magnum gun I did not care for and I no longer have it. I replaced it with a 1901 Winchester lever action 10 bore.

Edited by simcgunner

3 hours ago, simcgunner said:

Thank you the case was made for me by an Amish craftsman. He uses no power tools. The big 8 bore is a Enos James of Birmingham gun . At 13.5 lbs its a monster. I am not sure why it's got 2 barrels you can't see for a follow up shot from the smoke of a black powder charge. Enos James exported a lot of big bore guns to the US for Waterfowlers in the mid to late 1800s. The next 3  are 3 different Ithaca 10 bores. The first is a massive 3 1/2  magnum 10. The first gun to be chamberd for that magnum round. Next is the Ithaca super 10 2 7/8 chamber. Next my grandfathers Ithaca Flues 10 ga. Last is a Spanish 10 magnum gun I did not care for and I no longer have it. I replaced it with a 1901 Winchester lever action 10 bore.

Excellent. Welcome to the Side x Side Club. Looking at that impressive collection I can see you dont subscribe to the modern trend for small bores !

Edited.  As having re-looked at your photograph I can see a cabinet in the background with at least another 10 - 11 guns visible. Do you live in Rock Island Arsenal by any chance ?

Edited by JJsDad
Additional info

Anyone in here know much about Fausti shotguns ? I have a 28g sxs single trigger ejector with 2/34'' chambers. It has FAUSTI STEFANO S.R.L stamped on the barrels. In the 4 years I have owned it, I`ve only shot less than 150 carts through it so I`m looking to sell that and my other AYA sxs. I`ve searched google a bit and looked at reviews etc but have`nt seen one the same yet & although their both great handling shotguns they are hardly getting used and I could do with thinning out my collection. I will try to upload pictures shortly.

Daniel.

JJ's Dad I kind of went overboard in the SXS collecting. At first it was quantity over quality. At one time I owned 50, at my age I have been getting rid of them. I have given many to young people in the family and several to some sporting organizations that I like. Ducks Unlimited and the Ruffed Grouse society. For fund raisers and charity. I am winnowing down the heard so to speak.

Edited by simcgunner
Spell check bit.

I can see why from the pictures of them lol. The shotgun is a joy to use but I have a enough already & it`s too nice of a gun not to be used, rather than stuffed in the the back of the cabinet. I`ve only taken it out for a sporting round of clays and a couple of times on a walk round a rough shoot. I should have pictures up shortly.

Dan.

Sportsman Gun Centre were selling Faustis like this a few years ago. They were about £1,000 if I recall correctly and there were cheaper OU guns available. I think they were testing the water with their budget ranges.

I held one in the Newport store and it was too short in the stock for me but appeared to be well made. 

The latest Fausti guns coming into the UK with a new importer appear to be higher grade more expensive guns.

2 hours ago, mark evans said:

What side by side to get with a budget of up to £500. 

2nd hand rather than new recommendations ??

Go for an English none ejector, you just cant give them away and great guns. My son has just bought a lovey Watson for £400

and from a dealer too. Just got to look around.

There actually are suitable guns for sale on this forum. For instance a lovely best Belgian Dumoulin ejector. I can vouch for it cos it's mine.

Edited by DUNKS
addition.

There's a Denton & Kendell boxlock up for sale near me for a couple of hundred. Read a bit that they can have badly made actions, but seems to apply mainly to their budget sidelocks. 

On the plus side it's got a nice bit of timber and it's not going to be my main gun. 

Worth a punt at that price? 

Here's a picture of an unusual shotgun it's a 20 bore with fully rifled barrels. The rifling is twisted in opposite direction as in a double rifle. It will keyhole slugs at 150 yards. There are many shotgun only areas for whitetail deer hunting here 

rbl pro.jpg

20rblpro.jpg

Edited by simcgunner
Add photo

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:37, simcgunner said:

Here's a picture of an unusual shotgun it's a 20 bore with fully rifled barrels. The rifling is twisted in opposite direction as in a double rifle. It will keyhole slugs at 150 yards. There are many shotgun only areas for whitetail deer hunting here 

rbl pro.jpg

20rblpro.jpg

I would really like one of those in 12 gauge.