Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/08/2018 at 09:10, JohnfromUK said:

I suspect (from your other comments) that you perhaps meant to say one cannot but be impressed).  I find the engineering and clever design impressive ....... in that it is light, strong, reliable and seems not to suffer much from wear (which is largely self adjusting).

Most I have seen are short as well.  16's are widely popular on the continent.  Mine has never had swivels, but I have seen them on several Darnes I have seen pictured.

They are not quick to reload, but not too bad, probably no slower than non ejector.

The only two major problems seem to be;

• Trigger pulls can be 'draggy' - my left barrel is
  • No one in the UK wants to work on them (William Powell did some stock work (lengthening, which they beautifully matched in) for me in the days when it was run by David and Peter Powell, but didn't want to touch the trigger)

I owned and used a Darne for a full season some 8 or so years ago. Cows bums and Banjo's spring to mind  !  The triggers were totally rubbish and WHEN I eventually found someone even prepared to look at it, I was met with a bill of some £300. Strangely enough,  I went back to using my Westley Richards and no longer have the Darne  !  

Edited by Westley

16 minutes ago, Hector Vector said:

No, it's a non-ejector. It's been restocked at some point but still retains a good percentage of it's original case hardening colours. Barrels were reblacked by Phil turner of Bozzard and Co. All all a very nice little piece. Good .410 SxS at sensible money are not easy to find. This one took me years...

Yes, lovely gun you have there. I’d be interested to know what cartridges you used?

I was fortunate to be gifted a Modern Arms Ltd .410 SxS a couple of years ago. Don’t take it out as often as I should but great fun when I do. Been using Gamebore 11g 7’s in mine.

14 hours ago, Lord v said:

Fair play to original RFD - already been back in touch. 

Has checked records and it is in proof, is sorting the paperwork and is reimbursing me for the cartridges I purchased at the receiving RFD. 

Now thats customer service. 👍

No it's not! The man is a tit. Any information should be taken from the gun itself Proves he cant read. Same goes for the receiving RFD.

2 minutes ago, Lord v said:

Well I'm happy. 

Yep and I think I would be. Seems you now have a very nice gun. But we trust RFDs to be just a tad more keen. I used to but am a bit more wary now. Enjoy it. I was talking to a shooter a while ago who thought it was the perfect gauge.

Aye, people who have shot 16's have raved about them. 

Will have to see what all the fuss is about now! 

We do trust RFD's but no one is immune to mistakes. They were super apologetic and have done what they could to put it right. From where I'm standing now I can't ask for more. 

(Looking at prices, in a 16 it's worth considerably more than I paid for it. Also goes some way to salving any wounds...)

15 hours ago, Hector Vector said:

Lyalvale Express Supreme Game.  2 1/2" case, fibre wad (don't use plastics in anything these days),14g No. 6 shot. Seem to work for everything I'm likely to shoot with a .410. Tonight's birds were all shot at around 25 yards. Keep the range sensible and they kill well.

Thanks, I'll look out for those as I would rather shoot fibre too. Last time I looked the only fibre .410 shells available in my neck of the woods were Eley Fourlong.

18 hours ago, Lord v said:

Aye, people who have shot 16's have raved about them. 

Will have to see what all the fuss is about now! 

We do trust RFD's but no one is immune to mistakes. They were super apologetic and have done what they could to put it right. From where I'm standing now I can't ask for more. 

(Looking at prices, in a 16 it's worth considerably more than I paid for it. Also goes some way to salving any wounds...)

Well said. No doubt the receiving RFD will either also refund you for the 20 bore cartridges or replace them with what you now need. In the event that you should ever need one, you'll probably find that your sensible and considerate customer attitude, but obviously one who won't be ridden roughshod over, will generate a good working relationship with a particular local 'smith whose attitude towards their customers' satisfaction is also exceptionally praiseworthy, not to mention their work being beyond reproach.

Edited by wymberley

17 hours ago, wymberley said:

Well said. No doubt the receiving RFD will either also refund you for the 20 bore cartridges or replace them with what you now need. In the event that you should ever need one, you'll probably find that your sensible and considerate customer attitude, but obviously one who won't be ridden roughshod over, will generate a good working relationship with a particular local 'smith whose attitude towards their customers' satisfaction is also exceptionally praiseworthy, not to mention their work being beyond reproach.

f we are talking about the same situation I fear my loyalty to any professional is earned by getting it right first time by paying attention in a professional manner. Not by making careless mistakes then apologising. I hear fat too much "we will learn by our mistakes these days". learn ,whatever trade,  first and get it right. I did not know that the RFD was also a gunsmith, all the more reason to not make mistakes.

Just my opinion you have yours I have mine. 

Down at the gunsmith today I mentioned I was on the lookout for a sxs 12G with open chokes for clays, requirements: lots of cast, and he just happened to have a nice Webley & Scott he had been meaning to do up and move along. Nicer than I intended, but at least it will fit properly. Going to have a good look when I go back for O/U collection. Only thing is, I might have to move some guns along to make room. 

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:13, ehb102 said:

Down at the gunsmith today I mentioned I was on the lookout for a sxs 12G with open chokes for clays, requirements: lots of cast, and he just happened to have a nice Webley & Scott he had been meaning to do up and move along. Nicer than I intended, but at least it will fit properly. Going to have a good look when I go back for O/U collection. Only thing is, I might have to move some guns along to make room. 

Buy another cabinet!:whistling:

On 12/09/2018 at 17:16, Lord v said:

Actually, looking at the marks - although it was sold as a 20g, I think it's actually a 16? 

If so I have a couple of boxes of carts to sell.... 😂 (28g, 5's)

What kind of idiot sells a 16 bore as 20 bore ?

This was an RFD?

Any one who can not tell the difference should have his licenced revoked asap as he is not a fit person to hold one .

What other cockups has he made that will cause buyers problems in years to come ?

3 minutes ago, Gunman said:

What kind of idiot sells a 16 bore as 20 bore ?

This was an RFD?

Any one who can not tell the difference should have his licenced revoked asap as he is not a fit person to hold one .

What other cockups has he made that will cause buyers problems in years to come ?

But he did apologise after!😏

On 14/09/2018 at 21:18, Hector Vector said:

Took the .410 out again this afternoon. Also took the puppy out for his first shoot. He did really well, very steady little man, so pleased with him.

250967013_AandN2.jpg.94b1b6f05e382fbe2ad2646948fd96ce.jpg

That's a puppy?! Must admit I like the idea of a sxs .410, and that looks very nice. I enjoy using my AYA Yeoman now and then, when I can remember to thumb off the safety ( not always uppermost in my thoughts after closing the gun when something clatters out of a hedge on our rough shoot ) and that it has two triggers. 

59 minutes ago, Scully said:

Must admit I like the idea of a sxs .410, and that looks very nice. I enjoy using my AYA Yeoman now and then, when I can remember to thumb off the safety ( not always uppermost in my thoughts after closing the gun when something clatters out of a hedge on our rough shoot ) and that it has two triggers. 

I have a s/s 0.410, AyA boxlock non ejector.  Nice little gun having both auto safe and double triggers, but with two other big 'downsides'; 

• Firstly the ammunition is very expensive (about £30 more per 1000 compared to a 12 - and for 1/3 the load!)
  • Secondly, mine anyway is a pig to clean.  The barrels pick up lead fouling dreadfully (possibly due to the high pressures used in 0.410?) and it is hard to shift even using a solvent type cleaner (Youngs 303) and a tightly fitting phosphor bronze brush.  Typically takes me several goes with time for the solvent to 'do its thing' in between.

The safety and double triggers are just as any other s/s ...... i.e. come naturally if you started on a s/s as I did.  Not the easiest gun to shoot (in my opinion) as it is so light as to lack the 'steadiness' of the  (light) 12's I'm more used to wielding.