Side by Side Club

AYA117

32 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

I shoot only fibre in my 410 and give it a good half hour soak in "ed's red" Seems to do the trick.

I should make up some 'Eds Red'.  I always assumed it would have a short shelf life (due to the acetone evaporating).  Like you - I use fibre, and believe the acetone may be mainly to remove plastic fouling?  Not 100% sure.  Acetone was always difficult to get locally, but suspect it is much easier in these days of widespread mail order.  I should make the effort and try really.

The 'old' Young's 303 was better, but suddenly became unobtainable and was replaced by some much less good 'equivalent' that was not as good.  I understand the old version had phenol which is now considered hazardous.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct. The Acetone is only to dissolve plastic and you can leave it out. I do like the Lanolin though although it is expensive it's an excellent rust proofer.

A side advantage if ever needed, ed's red is just about the best  penetrating oil I know! 

If any of you do need Acetone it is easily available online.

Edited by DUNKS

On 22/09/2018 at 10:35, Scully said:

That's a puppy?! Must admit I like the idea of a sxs .410, and that looks very nice. I enjoy using my AYA Yeoman now and then, when I can remember to thumb off the safety ( not always uppermost in my thoughts after closing the gun when something clatters out of a hedge on our rough shoot ) and that it has two triggers.  

Yup , he's still very much a puppy. He was 7 months old last week. Took him out with a .410 as it was his first experience with bangs and I don't like subjecting them to the noise of a 12 or 16 bore at that age. I think he's going to be a big boy when he's filled out a bit...

This Thomas Clough of Kings Lynn 16 bore came up at a local auction recently. I was born in Kings Lynn so thought i'd try a bid or two and ended up with this little beauty.

The gun is a fair bit older than me though made in 1914. T.Clough used to be on the high street in Kings Lynn until they were bought out by Gallyons in the 1940's.  

A lovely bit of local history.  

Weighs just 5lb 12oz and handle like a peach. What a gem, pleased as punch I am.

clough1.jpg

clough2.jpg

clough3.jpg

clough4.jpg

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Thanks for the link John. The author still lives in Norfolk I believe.

Gents . I dont want to seem pedantic but as this  The Side by Side forum , I feel I should point out a common mistake in terminology .

A gun can be "sleeved"  , which is the accepted term for a gun that has had new barrel tubes fitted into the original "back end " .

It can not be "re-sleeved " unless it has been previously "sleeved" and for some reason needs to have the replacement tubes replaced .

18 hours ago, Gunman said:

Gents . I dont want to seem pedantic but as this  The Side by Side forum , I feel I should point out a common mistake in terminology .

A gun can be "sleeved"  , which is the accepted term for a gun that has had new barrel tubes fitted into the original "back end " .

It can not be "re-sleeved " unless it has been previously "sleeved" and for some reason needs to have the replacement tubes replaced .

Thank you duly chastised

Fitting a new set of barrels. I decided to fit another set of barrels to my favorite 12 bore. The original 30 inch bbls are choked for sporting clays and I wanted a set of 32inch bbls choked full and full choke for trap shooting. It was a long search to find a set that I could use. After re striking and fitting and installing ejectors in the " new set " I sent them to an engraver. I will use them as is before having them rust blued.

project 32.jpg

5 minutes ago, simcgunner said:

Fitting a new set of barrels. I decided to fit another set of barrels to my favorite 12 bore. The original 30 inch bbls are choked for sporting clays and I wanted a set of 32inch bbls choked full and full choke for trap shooting. It was a long search to find a set that I could use. After re striking and fitting and installing ejectors in the " new set " I sent them to an engraver. I will use them as is before having them rust blued.

project 32.jpg

What gun is it?

13 hours ago, simcgunner said:

project 32.jpg

Did you do the work yourself?