Side by Side Club

AYA117

First pheasant that I have shot over my young dog, using my Spanish master SxS shotgun, which I had off the family of my mate who sadly passed away. 

Its rough and ready but I’ve pulled off some great shots with it, choked at half and full choke. Hope to use it for many more years to come :) 

2-C77-F8-CA-7-A7-B-47-CA-8-F79-C09-F8827

Edited by Lloyd90

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/01/2019 at 11:17, Lloyd90 said:

First pheasant that I have shot over my young dog, using my Spanish master SxS shotgun, which I had off the family of my mate who sadly passed away. 

Its rough and ready but I’ve pulled off some great shots with it, choked at half and full choke. Hope to use it for many more years to come  

2-C77-F8-CA-7-A7-B-47-CA-8-F79-C09-F8827

congrats on your dogs first.. your SxS looks tidy

3 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

Long overdue joining the club. I do love side by sides.

Aya 25 12g which is the gun I have shot best with and an the little 20g beauty that I got off the bosher. Re-finished the stock myself but really need to get barrels blued. As light as feather. 

B1BD7B15-0310-4D5C-9D68-A9A27A9AF024.jpeg

71DFB451-4902-4D30-931C-EE21D6BE0E3F.jpeg

F38A5998-54F6-438F-AB75-74D1E00060DB.jpeg

DFE5D1E6-E9F7-4A3B-BCDA-3C6159C77E2A.jpeg

2B9EEF04-D297-43CE-BE1A-ABCFD94DA202.jpeg

2B819AB1-A794-473F-949F-D744F5728417.jpeg

D88B41C7-89FF-4E29-AADD-F185D46D0604.jpeg

8BC98FE1-93B0-4EF1-B371-61326DCBBD82.jpeg

That sidelock looks particularly classy ! Both lovely tho`.

49 minutes ago, matone said:

That sidelock looks particularly classy ! Both lovely tho`.

Yes it’s the cheapest gun in the cabinet but my favourite 👍🏻

27 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

^^^

Was thinking the same. Both lovely for the opposite reason. Beautiful embellishment on the boxlock, elegant simplicity on the side lock. 

I do actually prefer plain actions on guns really, especially on sidelocks. The fine engraving around the perimeter of the action sets it off though. I would of liked to of seen it when it was new. 

4 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

Long overdue joining the club. I do love side by sides.

Aya 25 12g which is the gun I have shot best with and an the little 20g beauty that I got off the bosher. Re-finished the stock myself but really need to get barrels blued. As light as feather. 

B1BD7B15-0310-4D5C-9D68-A9A27A9AF024.jpeg

71DFB451-4902-4D30-931C-EE21D6BE0E3F.jpeg

F38A5998-54F6-438F-AB75-74D1E00060DB.jpeg

DFE5D1E6-E9F7-4A3B-BCDA-3C6159C77E2A.jpeg

2B9EEF04-D297-43CE-BE1A-ABCFD94DA202.jpeg

2B819AB1-A794-473F-949F-D744F5728417.jpeg

D88B41C7-89FF-4E29-AADD-F185D46D0604.jpeg

8BC98FE1-93B0-4EF1-B371-61326DCBBD82.jpeg

The AYA 25 is a cracking gun and I sometimes regret selling mine although I didn't always shoot too well with it.

That sidelock, being plain, has to my mind, got understated elegance. The stock looks great. You made a lovely job of that. Also, you're not a million miles away from Dan Bromley (Barrelblacker) who would make a lovely job of those barrels. Go on, treat yourself. :good:

OB

9 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

The AYA 25 is a cracking gun and I sometimes regret selling mine although I didn't always shoot too well with it.

That sidelock, being plain, has to my mind, got understated elegance. The stock looks great. You made a lovely job of that. Also, you're not a million miles away from Dan Bromley (Barrelblacker) who would make a lovely job of those barrels. Go on, treat yourself. :good:

OB

Yes boggy, they are great guns and I had some of my ‘best’ shots with that gun when I owned it first time round. I will re-finish the stock on that also.

Totally agree, it’s a classy little thing. Thanks, it does have lovely wood on it. 

Yes he’s only 35-40ins away and keep meaning to get gem done. I’m considering the option of having them browned? 

Might even get the 25’s barrels done also. 

On 5 January 2019 at 06:51, winnie&bezza said:

Yes boggy, they are great guns and I had some of my ‘best’ shots with that gun when I owned it first time round. I will re-finish the stock on that also.

Totally agree, it’s a classy little thing. Thanks, it does have lovely wood on it. 

Yes he’s only 35-40ins away and keep meaning to get gem done. I’m considering the option of having them browned? 

I realise that it's a typo, but if Dan is only 35-40 (ins) away, then just pop it over the fence, he must be your next door neighbour :yahoo:

Sorry about that, must have too much time on my hands.

Incidentally, the barrels on that AYA25 look pretty good to me.

OB

On 07/01/2019 at 08:23, Old Boggy said:

I realise that it's a typo, but if Dan is only 35-40 (ins) away, then just pop it over the fence, he must be your next door neighbour :yahoo:

Sorry about that, must have too much time on my hands.

Incidentally, the barrels on that AYA25 look pretty good to me.

OB

If only he was boggy! They would of been done ages ago.

To be fair, they aren’t bad at all but once I’ve re-finished the stock and had it re-jointed, I might as well go the whole hog and have a brand new gun 😄

On 5 January 2019 at 06:51, winnie&bezza said:

I'm intrigued that you owned the AYA25 before and now own it again. Maybe I missed a post here, but how did that come about ? Just being nosey. Also, you say it needs rejointing. It must have quite a bit of use, but still looks in excellent condition.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I'm intrigued that you owned the AYA25 before and now own it again. Maybe I missed a post here, but how did that come about ? Just being nosey. Also, you say it needs rejointing. It must have quite a bit of use, but still looks in excellent condition.

OB

I was 20-21 and I was getting into fishing and needed to sell to buy gear. Sold it to someone I know quite cheaply really. He’s know the keeper on a shoot I used to help/beat on. Didn’t do any shooting and when my license came up for renew a little while later, I didn’t bother renewing. Got it back a 4 or 5 years later. 

I went shooting a few times with him and a few others I knew from the shoot and then one of them text me saying so and so is selling it and is giving you first refusal as he knows you shoot well with it and to be honest I did miss the gun.

Well, the lever is quite far to the left but the barrels don’t have any movement though.

On 03/01/2019 at 11:44, islandgun said:

congrats on your dogs first.. your SxS looks tidy

It's covered in dinks and bumps actually even on the metal work lol! 

The wood is very lightly coloured so I am tempted to strip the wood and try to stain it... don't know if I can be bothered though... 

12 minutes ago, Esca said:

Looks loverly Is that the 16?

It certainly is. 

Shoots like a dream. I definitely get why people love the 16g.

Will be sending the barrels off to be reblued in couple of months. Its fine at the moment but you can see it thinning and having it redone will make it look stunning.