Side by Side Club

AYA117

12 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

A little report of my shooting over the weekend if I may indulge..

I had been growing a bit despondent about shooting my 1974 Gunmark Merlin (Vincenzo Bernardelli) recently. I'd not been having all that much success with it compared to my Browning 525,  although the stock length is the same.  On Saturday though, it was pressed into service as my son was also invited to shoot with me, and he used the Browning.

On the first drive I dropped a very nice clean hen bird with the gun. On the second drive I missed two close birds (and was duly ribbed at the coffee break). But on the third drive I dropped a great fast partridge crossing behind me. My son also shot his first partridge at a good height crossing from right to left over his head, and was beaming for the rest of the day.

Come the final drive of the day I was stationed in a hot-spot - and lo & behold I started to connect with the birds really well. I was killing them a good way out front.

So on Sunday I took the old girl clay shooting, and did the usual 50 bird sporting. We don't keep scores as such but I was happy & confident with how I shot with the gun at last.

I don't know what changed, I was using the same shells as before - just something seemed to really click this weekend. I guess I have got used to the different sight picture of the gun compared with the Browning, although I have always shot SBS and OU.  Thoughts of selling the gun for a different model are shelved.

Happy days !

IMG_20170107_102904409.jpg.dc4f482fd31afc7cc7c137a85ede6157.jpgIMG_20150110_124147401_HDR.jpg.cd59ba48bc5d5b2ed8f648081508710f.jpg

Lovely guns Merlins ,very fast handling ! Great for proper partridges & grouse !!!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got myself yet another side by side. "must stop"

Brought into the gunshop as an unnamed Spanish gun. No name anywhere on it! Was priced up as such. "Fortunately for me"!

Now know that it's an Armas Garby made in 1976. Looks as if it's been a cabinet queen.271/2 inch barrels, choked half and full with 70mm chambers.

Weighs in at 61/2 pounds. Garby only make bespoke guns so gun was obviously ordered to be without a name but Garby have confirmed that it's one of theirs.

Shot a few clays with it and it handles beautifully.

GARBI 010.JPG

GARBI 022.JPG

GARBI 023.JPG

5 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Just got myself yet another side by side. "must stop"

Brought into the gunshop as an unnamed Spanish gun. No name anywhere on it! Was priced up as such. "Fortunately for me"!

Now know that it's an Armas Garby made in 1976. Looks as if it's been a cabinet queen.271/2 inch barrels, choked half and full with 70mm chambers.

Weighs in at 61/2 pounds. Garby only make bespoke guns so gun was obviously ordered to be without a name but Garby have confirmed that it's one of theirs.

Shot a few clays with it and it handles beautifully.

GARBI 010.JPG

GARBI 022.JPG

GARBI 023.JPG

Is that the one that Hadfield had ? Beautiful gun!

21 hours ago, theshootist said:

That's a very nice find - I presume the quality is similar to an AYA number 1? Or is it even better? 

Quality is I am sure just about the same. Specs of course are different.

Garbi only produce around 60 guns a year with a workforce of seven. My gun is similar spec to the current  model which costs £22,000

As all the guns are bespoke it's difficult to price up.

Edited by DUNKS

I think I qualify now, just been up to Wabbitbosher's to buy a sbs. and I came away with 2!!! I'm sure he has the eyes of Kaa ( snake in jungle book) 

but what a top bloke, anyway they are not expensive guns, but I would like to find a little about them if anybody can help. it would be great if anyone could tell me the year of manufacture or point me in the direction where I can find out for myself. they are :-

AYA Yeoman serial number 577167 ( in very good condition apart from the wood, looks like it has spent more time hammering fence post than firing cartridges)

AYA Viscount   De Luxe serial number 578224 ejector ( also in good condition ) 

there is only 1000ish between the 2 so guessing they was made roughly the same time 

like I said not the most expensive or interesting, but these are my first sbs's, 

looking forward to trying them out on the pigeons in the coming weeks.

30 minutes ago, marcus almond said:

I think I qualify now, just been up to Wabbitbosher's to buy a sbs. and I came away with 2!!! I'm sure he has the eyes of Kaa ( snake in jungle book) 

but what a top bloke, anyway they are not expensive guns, but I would like to find a little about them if anybody can help. it would be great if anyone could tell me the year of manufacture or point me in the direction where I can find out for myself. they are :-

AYA Yeoman serial number 577167 ( in very good condition apart from the wood, looks like it has spent more time hammering fence post than firing cartridges)

AYA Viscount   De Luxe serial number 578224 ejector ( also in good condition ) 

there is only 1000ish between the 2 so guessing they was made roughly the same time 

like I said not the most expensive or interesting, but these are my first sbs's, 

looking forward to trying them out on the pigeons in the coming weeks.

Mid ‘80’s according to this link http://www.shotguns.se/html/aya_serial_numbers.html

Never heard of a Viscount by AYA - put some piccies up!