Side by Side Club

AYA117

There is a William Powell patent that has strikers like that and when the striker is pushed back (by the primer in the cartridge when there is a cartridge in the chamber, they show the word “LOADED” engraved and gold filled around the large cylinder shape at the hammer/striker interface.  I can post a photo (my Powell hammer gun has this patent), and I think there is a picture earlier in this thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There is a William Powell patent that has strikers like that and when the striker is pushed back (by the primer in the cartridge when there is a cartridge in the chamber, they show the word “LOADED” engraved and gold filled around the large cylinder shape at the hammer/striker interface.  I can post a photo (my Powell hammer gun has this patent), and I think there is a picture earlier in this thread.

The Powell is in the 18th post on page 5 (posted 19th April) of this thread and the "LOADED" on the firing pins can just be seen, and on page 6 at post 19 on that page (posted 20th April) is another gun with large diameter (in this case domed) firing pins on a Charles Maleham (made by W & C Scott).

These type of strikers / firing pins were not uncommon. The are frequently seen on cheaper guns but not uncommon on better quality guns as well as on guns where the nipples have been lost , as "budget repair" .

There is nothing wrong with them at all and are in fact more difficult to replace , if done correctly ,  as they need a narrow slot cut in them for the retaining pin ..

Advantages are that without the nipple you can get a lower hammer profile , so  when cocked the hammer spurs are less visible to the eye .

Birmingham  pre 1904 , black powder .Almost certainly 2&1/2" and will probably have a short cone "roll over "chambers so be careful with you case lengths if using crimped cases as it could cause extraction problems , the chambers may also be a bit  "tight" by modern standards .

Diver One's list is Belgium .

20 hours ago, MacSxS said:

Quick question, would nitromors damage the blueing on my AYA Yeoman,

If I was to try and strip the varnish without stripping the gun down completely? 

Any advise helpful 

Most AyA varnish is surface only so does not take a lot of removing, it is stained so the the wood will look white when stripped . In the past I have always preferred to scrape and sand these rather than use chemical means .The advantages of this method is that you do not have to spend so much time grain filling afterwards .

It is always best and often easiest to work on the stock head with it off the action  . Saves having to be so careful about getting finish on the action and a lot easier to rub down round the metal work .

46 minutes ago, MacSxS said:

Is there anyone close to me (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire) willing to strip it down for me and then put it back together after I have sorted the wood out.

I am willing to pay 🙂 

Don't let just anyone try! If they haven't got the right turnscrews, it all too easy to chew up the screwhead slots! Which ruins the appearance of the gun!

14 hours ago, Drayman1965 said:

Great guns the,#4 , also got a #2 👍

Thanks, 

All its done since Ive actually had a chance to use it is rain. Hoping it clears up a bit this afternoon so I can go for a wander. 

Only paid £100 for it and would like to learn so shoot properly with it so I can splash out on the webley and scott I've got my eye on. 

5 hours ago, dazza71 said:

Some great looking Guns on this forum I do love a side by side

👍

3 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thanks, 

All its done since Ive actually had a chance to use it is rain. Hoping it clears up a bit this afternoon so I can go for a wander. 

Only paid £100 for it and would like to learn so shoot properly with it so I can splash out on the webley and scott I've got my eye on. 

£100 is a great price hope it stops raining so you can get out there with it, mind you it's not made of sugar lol🤣