Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bough some of "Slipery ***** finishing oil" from a guy who advertises on facebook, tried in on a couple of scrap bits and was well pleased, so I topped up the finish on my Maleham and I have to say I am very, very impressed. I ended up with a very nice finish in a couple of applications. It's basically oil with a good mix of solvant, dries very quickly and leave a lovely finish, you can build up the finish very easily as well, in a matter of hours -- not weeks!

5y9xuHB.jpg

9 hours ago, buze said:

I recently bough some of "Slipery ***** finishing oil" from a guy who advertises on facebook, tried in on a couple of scrap bits and was well pleased, so I topped up the finish on my Maleham and I have to say I am very, very impressed. I ended up with a very nice finish in a couple of applications. It's basically oil with a good mix of solvant, dries very quickly and leave a lovely finish, you can build up the finish very easily as well, in a matter of hours -- not weeks!

5y9xuHB.jpg

Very nice Buze. A good job done and well worth it when the stock has such beautiful figuring as that.

OB

1 hour ago, Dibble said:

I must speak up in defence of Baikals! They are brilliant pieces of design.

Thanks to Wabbitbosher my son now has an "Assembled Pair" of model 27 O/U that we are going to attempt to double gun on some clays on Sunday.

You obviously have no appreciation of quality and craftsmanship!

However, you are not alone, many people love their Baikals. And I do realise that not everyone wants or can afford anything different..

I have shot regularly for the last 35 years with a local farmer who uses nothing else. His gun lives on his tractor, is never cleaned even if wet through and when knackered he simply buys another one. 

My son is 15yrs old 6'1" and proportioned like an Orangutan, he is also a lefty so it's Baikals for now.

I want to send him off into the world "Able to Ride a Horse, Shoot a Gun and preach a Sermon with any man in England " equipped with a nice SxS and a good Fountain Pen, but until he stops growing it's guns I don't mind screwing extra thick butt pads to.

The  "Able to Ride a Horse, Shoot a Gun and preach a Sermon with any man in England " quote was said by Lord Byron of a friend of his, a Vicar in a Village I grew up in, we don't ride or preach but I'd like my children to be All Rounders.

I dont like gun snobs . I dont like car snobs or holiday snobs  ,wine snobs etc etc . Each to their own . 

If you own and shoot a Baikal and shoot well then fine . If you an afford it and buy a Purdey thats fine as well . 

As far as I am concerned it is a personal pleasure to own nice things ,what ever they are . I have nice things that give me satisfaction in owning them .

I also have tools that do the job for what I want them to do , these may not be up to the standard of others or  for prolonged use . My car does what I want of it , its not the best , its not the most luxurious but it suits me .Same with a gun if its what you are happy to use and if you can use it well so much the better .

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

You mean something like Salome if you had a daughter?

I have a Daughter, having seen her whack tent pegs in on Scout Camp she could be Yael, if we are looking for a biblical link.

She is actually a pretty good with an Air rifle, not too keen on trying a Shotgun yet, but I have a plan.

Edited by Dibble

Horses for courses..... there's now wrong with Russian Baikals, as a working tool!..........Ask any combat soldier his preference and the Russian AK 47 would come out top!

The Tula looks a class above Baikal for quality engineering.........only time will tell about quality of materials?

It's definitely a step up, or more accurately, nothing to do with Baikals made at the rival Izhevsk Mechanical Plant. The Tula plant was established around 1712 and eventually made mosin-nagant rifles and eventually AK-47s. They weren't really a shotgun company. 

This model is an 'exhibition' module used as showroom pieces, so good engraving and finishing worthy of a more expensive gun. 

There are a couple of hints to more agricultural models in the range such as the heavy springs and swivels. 

Was able to take it out for a quick blast today, very smooth shooting and the coin finish is very eye catching and it got a few admiring comments.