Side by Side Club

AYA117

You can buy some very thin, very cheap leather gloves on eBay. I've shortened the thumb and first 2 fingers on my right glove. 

There is a notable difference in barrel heating in hot weather , maybe that's why you dont notice as much on partridge?

I've found as well on DTL keeping the gun open till the last minute helps cooling.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/06/2019 at 14:43, Dibble said:

EJC.jpg

Bought a project, wasn't even drunk.

Anybody know if there are any problems getting a gun sold as nvsn, which I'm guessing means no visible serial number, on your certificate?

Or what that missing pin in the action does.

Or if it's actually difficult to resolder a rib, the American man on Youtube makes it look easy and he can't even pronounce soLder

Or why a bit of that dolls head bit seems to be missing.

Is that a dent just ahead of the (2 1/2") chambers.

One from Holts auction?I love them,am awaiting the arrival of no3, a Charles Boswell, No 1 was A Cogswell & Harrison 20 Bore boxlock, missing it.sforend, resurected with the help of The Bosher of Wabbits. Enjoy.

Edited by guzzicat

As for serial numbers I have had a couple of little Belgian hammer guns with NVSN. Just described as Belgian .410 NVSN or makers name.

As for re "soddering" a top rib I know nothing except what I read, and that it is a highly skilled job and not for the faint hearted.

Yes it's from Holts, their buy it now prices are a bit too tempting, I bid on some other guns in the sealed bid auction but they went for 20% more than I would go. I asked if they had bore measurements and one was at 21 the other had a dent so I held back a bit.

I have a V50 II Guzzicat.

29 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Yes it's from Holts, their buy it now prices are a bit too tempting, I bid on some other guns in the sealed bid auction but they went for 20% more than I would go. I asked if they had bore measurements and one was at 21 the other had a dent so I held back a bit.

I have a V50 II Guzzicat.

Still bargains on sealed bid auctions, but as you say, need caution! One of my best bikes was a T3 California Loved it, got it cheap with a howling diff, two new bearings & assembled by feel & it ran sweet as a nut  total cost under£20.

Dibble a golf glove for the left hand is something easy to find and works well. I am right handed and wear one on the left when shooting. Gardening centers or mechanics gloves also work.  do Cricket batters wear light gloves?

Edited by simcgunner

2 hours ago, simcgunner said:

Dibble a golf glove for the left hand is something easy to find and works well. I am right handed and wear one on the left when shooting. Gardening centers or mechanics gloves also work.  do Cricket batters wear light gloves?

Wash your mouth out with soap 🤭

how dare you use the four letter word 😢

i can only assume that the mods haven’t seen your post 

a good leather shooting gloves is all that’s needed to compliment a gentleman’s side by side 

1 hour ago, simcgunner said:

I have been properly scolded and humbly accept correction. I hope to remain A member of this forum

12 Special 22323-4_1.jpg

Very nice 😊

althogh as penance you should get out and buy another one 😉😊 

Just love the deep engraving 

Edited by Old farrier

This gun was made in 1917 as one of a group sent to the pan American exhibition. There is a company in Connecticut that owns the Fox name and hand makes them to order. the guns are very nice and built as before except more modern materials. As bespoke guns they have a long waiting period and have healthy prices.

Ainsley Fox was a character. a professional shooter Who had great success at the live bird ring as well at the traps. He wanted to make a gun that professional shooters as well as the common man could use. He used a simple but extremely reliable box lock action. all Fox guns are the same internally from the lowest plain farmers gun the the Presentation models such as the one Theodore Roosevelt took on Safari to Africa. and the single barrel trap gun is slightly different. Fox was a better designer and shooter than a businessman He lost the company and it changed hands and stayed in operation until the 1960s. Grades were from the plain but serviceable Sterlingworth and graded guns A through F offering finer woods, engraving and features like the single trigger(very reliable).  They made a wildfowl gun that has a weight of 10 pounds and come with 3 inch chambers. a massive 12 bore for long range shooting. But a small bore Fox is as light and nimble in the hand and a joy to shoot. you could order your Fox to shoot a particular load. and they would take the time to custom tune the gun and stamp the barrels guaranteed.  ( Lets say 85 percent 6 inch high 1 1/8 oz #6 at 40 yds Some barrels are marked NOT Guaranteed not because they are unsafe just not bored specially.

Edited by simcgunner

To find an original high grade Fox can be an expensive proposition. I prefer to take a low grade gun and tart it up some. I file up and polish the action. than send to an engraver friend who can do a pretty good imitation fox style. stock it with a nice piece of walnut. and have a good looking gun to shoot with here is a little 20 gage I did a couple of years ago. I have never met a relative of AH Fox but have met with the great grandson of DM lefever another character, gunmaker of that era. . He made good sidelocks with an interesting barrel mounting arrangement. that was said to be self adjusting.. 

20 bore.jpg

20 engrave.jpg

1 hour ago, buze said:

For forend hand gloves, I can recommend Golf gloves, they come in very thin leather with very good grip. I bought mine from Decathlon for about £10...

Must we remind you of Club rule 104.The use of the word "Golf" is forbidden on club premises unless followed by "GTI" 

Mind you I did find this rather worrying Photograph

0131RobertChurchill.jpg

Robert Churchill

17 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Must we remind you of Club rule 104.The use of the word "Golf" is forbidden on club premises unless followed by "GTI" 

0131RobertChurchill.jpg

Robert Churchill

Worrying?

Pure class

17 minutes ago, Dibble said:

0131RobertChurchill.jpg

Robert Churchill

To be fair mate I’ll wager he was pointing out the error of some wiper snappers ways 

Whome was probably surveying the heath for a dashed xxxx course 😊

note to self 

get new shooting socks 

any chance of a colure picture 😂 

Wrong, he was demonstrating the position he recommended as the “ready” position as driven game approached. (This May have been in the days when beaters were considered ‘consumables”!

Have you not read Mr. Churcihill’s book, “Game Shooting” It was almost required reading when I were a lad.

25 minutes ago, London Best said:

Wrong, he was demonstrating the position he recommended as the “ready” position as driven game approached. (This May have been in the days when beaters were considered ‘consumables”!

Have you not read Mr. Churcihill’s book, “Game Shooting” It was almost required reading when I were a lad.

I’ve a copy in the gun room 😊

and well familiar with the stance although my stature is better suited for the stanburey stance 😉

I’ve not read a copy since about 1962/3, but I must say it helped me a lot back then. I THINK I still mostly shoot his style, but am sure I switch to Stanbury for some shots. Dunno really. Churchill method is certainly devastating for fast, close range birds such as are mostly found on an average day’s game shooting in this country. I think it falls down a little (for me) on higher, longer shots.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:31, Old farrier said:

Wash your mouth out with soap 🤭

how dare you use the four letter word 😢

i can only assume that the mods haven’t seen your post 

a good leather shooting gloves is all that’s needed to compliment a gentleman’s side by side 

I rather like a nice leather flying glove on the left hand!