Side by Side Club

AYA117

Not an O/U , no multi chokes ,adjustable comb, and those barrels are definitely not 34 "" .How can any one ever expect to hit any thing I ask myself ?????

Answer. He knew how to shoot .

One thing no one ever talks about these days is shooting ability . Not being funny here folks but lets face it some of us , myself included ,will never be good shots no matter what we have or do .

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Not an O/U , no multi chokes ,adjustable comb, and those barrels are definitely not 34 "" .How can any one ever expect to hit any thing I ask myself ?????

Answer. He knew how to shoot .

One thing no one ever talks about these days is shooting ability . Not being funny here folks but lets face it some of us , myself included ,will never be good shots no matter what we have or do .

And he probably killed more game in a season than most of us will kill in a lifetime 😊

even with those socks on 😂

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I am on record as saying I will never buy an O/U. I just don’t like them. I’m with Mr. Churchill all the way. Short(ish) barrels, minimal choke, light loads, small shot.

I am with you on (shortish) barrels, open(ish) chokes, light loads and small(ish) shot.  28 barrels are my preference, less than 1/2 choke would be my choice, and I use 21g on clays and 26 or 28g on game.  Very adequate for what I do and I'm sure outperforms me.

I do own some o/u, mainly soidelock models.  Not all o/us are big heavy recoil absorbing lumps, some can handle very tidily and have fast handling that belies their looks.  A good example is the best grade sidelock Merkel (model 303E) - which looks heavy, some may say very heavy and Germanic, but they have handling that is dynamic, fast and agile - I think because they aren't actually all that heavy, and what weight there is is very centrally concentrated.  By contrast the similar higher grade Berettas (like SOs) and Brownings feel much slower.  I have not handled an English o/u in anger, but I gather they can also be very 'dynamic'.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Don’t know about old Merkel’s handling but god they’re fugly. I was once told, “a shotgun should look like a snake.”  I agree with that.

My preferred barrel length is 27in, but I have only ever owned one gun that length, most have been 26in.. My very old hammer black powder 12 bores are 30in.

i have to say the only O/Us I have ever handled which felt like a shotgun to me were Mackay Brown and Boss. Obviously, I was the loader not the shooter! A friend has a Macnab Highlander in 28 bore which handles well, but it only weighs 3oz less than my H&H Royal Brevis which weighs 6lb 2oz with 26 1/2 in barrels.

When all is said and done it’s all down to personal preference.

17 hours ago, Old farrier said:

To be fair mate I’ll wager he was pointing out the error of some wiper snappers ways 

Whome was probably surveying the heath for a dashed xxxx course 😊

note to self 

get new shooting socks 

any chance of a colure picture 😂 

I have the book, all the photos are black and white. IIRC, he is demonstrating the the correct way (his) to be 'at the ready' but I'll confirm later once I have reviewed the photo caption.

Looks like LB has confirmed my suspicion.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I am on record as saying I will never buy an O/U. I just don’t like them. I’m with Mr. Churchill all the way. Short(ish) barrels, minimal choke, light loads, small shot.

Draw the line at those socks though!

Likewise, although I did buy one for my wife along with a pogo stick. The guns have now gone. 30" barrels for me, but I'm with you on everything else.

Edited by Penelope

Actually, I find that once a gun is at my shoulder I can’t tell what length barrels it has, and I don’t really care!

But, when I shoot a shotgun, I don’t want it to feel like a target rifle. That is how most O/Us feel to me.

I would actually buy a pogo stick before I considered an O/U. (I take it you mean a semi auto). 

12 minutes ago, London Best said:

Actually, I find that once a gun is at my shoulder I can’t tell what length barrels it has, and I don’t really care!

But, when I shoot a shotgun, I don’t want it to feel like a target rifle. That is how most O/Us feel to me.

I would actually buy a pogo stick before I considered an O/U. (I take it you mean a semi auto). 

I do indeed. I'm 6ft and short barreled guns feel tiny. My dad shoots a 26" barrelled Hellis boxlock with a full cross over stock.

Edited by Penelope

35 minutes ago, London Best said:

Don’t know about old Merkel’s handling but god they’re fugly. I was once told, “a shotgun should look like a snake.”  I agree with that.

My preferred barrel length is 27in, but I have only ever owned one gun that length, most have been 26in.. My very old hammer black powder 12 bores are 30in.

i have to say the only O/Us I have ever handled which felt like a shotgun to me were Mackay Brown and Boss. Obviously, I was the loader not the shooter! A friend has a Macnab Highlander in 28 bore which handles well, but it only weighs 3oz less than my H&H Royal Brevis which weighs 6lb 2oz with 26 1/2 in barrels.

When all is said and done it’s all down to personal preference.

Quite like the Merkels, but my SHS, double trigger 26" OU Chapuis is positively ophiomorphic. :good:

I used to have a tiny black Cocker bitch called Hellis! All my team of gundogs were namer after gunmakers. Sad or what? 

I used to be close to 6ft but now can only make 5ft 10in. but always liked stubby barrels.

Must admit I had to google ophiomorphic!

Agree, the Chapuis are nice, a friend has one, shs and 2 triggers. Proper.

Edited by London Best

41 minutes ago, London Best said:

I used to have a tiny black Cocker bitch called Hellis! All my team of gundogs were namer after gunmakers. Sad or what? 

I used to be close to 6ft but now can only make 5ft 10in. but always liked stubby barrels.

Must admit I had to google ophiomorphic!

Agree, the Chapuis are nice, a friend has one, shs and 2 triggers. Proper.

ESS - Tikka

Measured in hospital last week, now 5ft 9&1/2ins

Thesaurus

:whistling:

I have had several sxs over the years but none for a while .i think i became interested in this Skb 200E when someone on this forum mentioned how well made they were. Jap built fixed choke 1/4 and 1/2 with 2 3/4 inch chambers .It has chrome lined tubes and a single trigger a 28 inch barrell with selector button in front of the trigger . I did fire it once last season killing a Canada goose with my only shot using a clever mirage steel shell.I found it in the last but one Holts sealed bid auction i think i paid £130 For it and a Lincoln o/u which i quickly gave away .The condition appeared very lightly used but sadly the outside of the tubes were badly pitted  i reckoned they would tidy up ok so sent them off for reblacking and was very surprised when they came back as being the first set of barrels in 40 years that would just not change colour.So i decided to give them a coat of Duracoat as a cheap option not ideal i know but i have been meaning to try the stuff for a while .i will post a picture when they are done.

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

SKB use a steel alloy that had either a high chrome or nickel content , cant remember which , that were difficult to black .BSA used a similar steel back in the day and were "blacked with a type of lacquer . 

The gun in question is a modified design based on the Webley 700 . It is also my understanding that the Galazan RBL is yet another version of this .

Coping is said to be the best form of flattery and like so many makers base their guns on previously tried and tested designs .

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

SKB use a steel alloy that had either a high chrome or nickel content , cant remember which , that were difficult to black .BSA used a similar steel back in the day and were "blacked with a type of lacquer . 

The gun in question is a modified design based on the Webley 700 . It is also my understanding that the Galazan RBL is yet another version of this .

Coping is said to be the best form of flattery and like so many makers base their guns on previously tried and tested designs .

Thanks for the info on chrome content i sent it off to Dan Bromley  and they had a couple of attempts but in the end sent them back.They had however removed the pitting back to clean steel so thats a job i dont have to do.l was. Very imressed with Dans service and he  wouldn't take any money not even for the postage .

I picked up my purchase from Holts

IMG-0781.jpg

It has churchill on the barrels

IMG-0782.jpg

However

IMG-0786.jpg

Whilst the fences look very Churchill I can't find another with a 3rd bite? or those bits of the stock that mimic sideplates. the forend is a lot darker than the stock.

IMG-0787.jpg.

The rest of it is a mixed bag.

proof marks are 1929-1954? 2 1/2 chambers, marked 1/8 choke but a choke gauge estimates 1/4 and 1/2. Top lever spring is weak. Barrels measure at 29 thou.

It literally has no serial number, not even a hint and the action doesn't have Churchill engraved on it.

Anyone got a better idea how old?

Why a 3rd bite with 2 1/2" chambers?

Is it a Bitsa that an outworker put together?

Edited by Dibble

Most likely a "cheap " trade gun retailed by Churchill , not made but them . 

Its not good enough for some one to try and pass it of as a genuine Churchill ie fake the name .The quality of the barrel engraving is to good and I have seem some good , bad and quite honestly ridiculous attempts at making one gun into another .

A picture of the proof marks will help to give an approximate age .

If you want a number simply stamp any 4 or 5 digit number on the barrel action and forend . I have done this on many guns just taking the date or time to give them .

The Guy from Holts looked at the proof marks and said between 1929 and 1954 which seems like a wide spread but it's only 25 years. I suppose a lot happened in those 25 years. does the chamber length or forend give a clue.

Looking at EJ Churchills history they didn't actually make much themselves anyway (they still don't).

By the way whats that type of forend called and why has everyone moved to the button in the end type?