Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Shot the side by side championship at AGL with my Wabbitbosher sourced George Bate SXS. Did rather well I thought. Lovely course as always. Helice with a SXS great fun. Excellent black powder guns too. Balloon shooting is definitely my idea of fun! 

IMG_20190904_152039_143.jpg

Well done for attending 

i do wish they would advertise these competitions more in advance I’m sure they would have a better attendance and audience 

would be great to hear the format of the day 😊

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

I do think you should dress for the occasion .These are game guns so appropriate clothing should be worn .

That's a little pretentious isn't it? Shooting clays with a Wabbitbosher special shouldn't require you to wear muddy green or a £500 coat.

22 hours ago, Old farrier said:

would be great to hear the format of the day 😊

Every year since 2013 the Atkin Grant & Lang shooting ground at Markyate, St Albans has held the British Side By Side championship during the last weekend of August. In the 2018 event I was severely hampered by a sequence that required gun down shooting as my Baikal had no cast on it and I need to rifle it up to get it to shoot straight. Wabbitbosher had kindly provided an English side by side (George Bate) that I had fitted to me and I was feeling much better prepared. I went with a squad of ladies and my father came on his mobility scooter to carry the bags.

The weather was kind, patches of cloud drifting across a bright sun (that cost me two birds!) and the rain held off all day. The wind was occasional and got gustier throughout the afternoon.

The sporting course was 100 birds over 12 stands. Stands were the classic set ups of four pairs, either on report or simultaneous, and this was interspersed by three sequences to change things up. The side by side course is always designed to be friendly to .410s so there was nothing too far out. This year the sequences were posted in the stand so you could see what birds were coming next (hurrah!). Looking at my score card the battue followed by the chandelle with the sun on it (very little visibility) was the only stand that gave me real problems. I was not tuned into competition enough to have come back to that stand when the sun had moved around, but I will next time. The grouse butt sequence was a simple fast low driven and two left going crossers, and that kicked a lot of butt! The other sequences I found easier. They were are lot less difficult that last year, or maybe I've got better. 

At the top of the ground the Hurlingham Club provided entertainment in the form of helice for side by sides. This is meant to simulate pigeon shooting, with little winged clays out of which you shoot the centre. The traps open and a bird flies out of one. This was great fun, shot Italian style but with 3 points for a first barrel and 1 for a second ( I think,). The Hurlingham Cup was won on fifteen points. I would have loved another go but the queue was enormous. 

Whilst waiting for our turns at the helice we had fun with black powder guns. A flintlock didn't want to fire so  I didn't hit the helium balloon that was released from the basket, but I took out the flung water balloon with a marvellous six bore. You have to love a gun that goes WHOOMPF!

Lunch was an adequate hog roast. Not a patch on last year to be honest. We all went and bought cake from the in-house cafe afterwards, and that was excellent.

The festival of gunmaking had some amazing guns to admire. My favourite was the work in progress Damascus barrel. 

High gun was 93. My companion won the ladies clay shooting, I beat her on the water balloons and the helice, so I'm calling that 2-1 to me. 

Atkin Grant and Lang do excellent competitions. When my only grumble is about the lunch and everything else, birds, refs, equipment, facilities, sequences, is perfect, you have to admit they are very good at what they do. We've been going every year since 2014 and it really is a great day out. 

46 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Every year since 2013 the Atkin Grant & Lang shooting ground at Markyate, St Albans has held the British Side By Side championship during the last weekend of August. In the 2018 event I was severely hampered by a sequence that required gun down shooting as my Baikal had no cast on it and I need to rifle it up to get it to shoot straight. Wabbitbosher had kindly provided an English side by side (George Bate) that I had fitted to me and I was feeling much better prepared. I went with a squad of ladies and my father came on his mobility scooter to carry the bags.

The weather was kind, patches of cloud drifting across a bright sun (that cost me two birds!) and the rain held off all day. The wind was occasional and got gustier throughout the afternoon.

The sporting course was 100 birds over 12 stands. Stands were the classic set ups of four pairs, either on report or simultaneous, and this was interspersed by three sequences to change things up. The side by side course is always designed to be friendly to .410s so there was nothing too far out. This year the sequences were posted in the stand so you could see what birds were coming next (hurrah!). Looking at my score card the battue followed by the chandelle with the sun on it (very little visibility) was the only stand that gave me real problems. I was not tuned into competition enough to have come back to that stand when the sun had moved around, but I will next time. The grouse butt sequence was a simple fast low driven and two left going crossers, and that kicked a lot of butt! The other sequences I found easier. They were are lot less difficult that last year, or maybe I've got better. 

At the top of the ground the Hurlingham Club provided entertainment in the form of helice for side by sides. This is meant to simulate pigeon shooting, with little winged clays out of which you shoot the centre. The traps open and a bird flies out of one. This was great fun, shot Italian style but with 3 points for a first barrel and 1 for a second ( I think,). The Hurlingham Cup was won on fifteen points. I would have loved another go but the queue was enormous. 

Whilst waiting for our turns at the helice we had fun with black powder guns. A flintlock didn't want to fire so  I didn't hit the helium balloon that was released from the basket, but I took out the flung water balloon with a marvellous six bore. You have to love a gun that goes WHOOMPF!

Lunch was an adequate hog roast. Not a patch on last year to be honest. We all went and bought cake from the in-house cafe afterwards, and that was excellent.

The festival of gunmaking had some amazing guns to admire. My favourite was the work in progress Damascus barrel. 

High gun was 93. My companion won the ladies clay shooting, I beat her on the water balloons and the helice, so I'm calling that 2-1 to me. 

Atkin Grant and Lang do excellent competitions. When my only grumble is about the lunch and everything else, birds, refs, equipment, facilities, sequences, is perfect, you have to admit they are very good at what they do. We've been going every year since 2014 and it really is a great day out. 

From that write-up it sounds a cracking event to an extent that it could well be enhanced by Gunman's suggestion but if it's just another run of the mill clay pigeon shooting competition, then perhaps not.

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

From that write-up it sounds a cracking event to an extent that it could well be enhanced by Gunman's suggestion but if it's just another run of the mill clay pigeon shooting competition, then perhaps not.

Lots of people wore tweed. You can see that in the AGL publicity. The Hurlingham Club were fully rigged out in period wear. 

If anyone would like to make a direct criticism and say that *I* should have worn tweed, I will point out to you that I am a woman with  stage 3 lipoedema, and the fact that I am out and shooting at all is testament to the effort I have put in to regaining and maintaining my health and mobility. It is nearly impossible for me to find shooting clothes to wear at all, and it is impossible to find tweed short of fully custom made.  I would love to have been able to turn up pretending to be an Edwardian in the grouse butt - that's why I got my first side by side after all - but that is not an option open to me.

I am not going to allow the opinions of strangers on the Internet stop me participating in the events I enjoy with the guns I love. 

1 hour ago, ehb102 said:

Lots of people wore tweed. You can see that in the AGL publicity. The Hurlingham Club were fully rigged out in period wear. 

If anyone would like to make a direct criticism and say that *I* should have worn tweed, I will point out to you that I am a woman with  stage 3 lipoedema, and the fact that I am out and shooting at all is testament to the effort I have put in to regaining and maintaining my health and mobility. It is nearly impossible for me to find shooting clothes to wear at all, and it is impossible to find tweed short of fully custom made.  I would love to have been able to turn up pretending to be an Edwardian in the grouse butt - that's why I got my first side by side after all - but that is not an option open to me.

I am not going to allow the opinions of strangers on the Internet stop me participating in the events I enjoy with the guns I love. 

Well said, good for you. :good:

However, I can not and will not speak for anyone else, but I very much doubt that preventing you from shooting would never have crossed the mind of anyone on PW whether or not they are aware of your medical condition and I include myself in that. I agree with Dipper.

19 hours ago, ehb102 said:

https://www.facebook.com/events/2360413004196801/?ti=as

Side by side event in Yorkshire at Gameslack next weekend. Some spaces left. 

Screenshot_20190906-220729.png

Thanks for the info although to late as I’m shooting partridge next weekend 

i must be boaring as I have to plan most things six months in advance 

Thanks for doing the write up most enjoyable 

may try to get there next year 👍😊

On 07/09/2019 at 10:39, ehb102 said:

The Hurlingham Cup used to be shot at the West Kent Shooting School in Paddock Wood in the early 90's. Shot once and did very well. Yes, GM, I did dress for the occasion.