Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, WelshAndy said:

Wouldn’t have a clue where to take it Dave?

I’m sure that a jeweller would be able to do it quite easily.

I had one do a ‘Safe’ inlay on an old gun of mine. Didn’t cost the earth and made all the difference to the look of it.

On 19/10/2019 at 10:15, DUNKS said:

Lovely guns these Garbi's here's mine. Custom built in 1977 for a now defunct London dealer who specified no makers name to appear on the gun.

GARBI 010.JPG

GARBI 021.JPG

Think that`s my favourite style of engraving on Spaniards,very H&H like. Lovely gun that.

On 05/08/2019 at 15:42, guzzicat said:

This was my last purchase from Holt,s ,a C. Boswell from1896? sold as " The major parts of a Boswell ,some in a bag" now ready for birds, had the lockwork rebuilt locally, barrels re/blued same & did stock myself, it was a bit of a tip but Trade secrets stock kit did the jpb, re/barreled by Gallyons, it came for the price of a decent catapult. Ejector by the way. I meant to put this in IMG_4227.JPG.8e634e35347bad33b13cea963167f114.JPGSBS club, could it be moved ?

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4225.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

lovely wood, well done for rescuing it

I had my first driven day of the season last week. Bag was 132 Redleg partridge.
As a total SxS man myself I was pleased to notice that with ten Guns shooting there were nine side by sides being used.  Out of the nine seven were British made with a couple of Spanish sidelocks. Two were twenty bores, one a sixteen and the rest twelves.

12 hours ago, London Best said:

Cheaper and less complicated to make and adjust than the Purdey/Beesley action

Spanish copies of the Purdey/Beesley are very scarce:  AyA Senior (also known in UK as Premiere) and Ignacio Ugartechea model 1040 (think I've remembered that right) are the only two I can think of.

Ignacio Ugartechea model 1040 was pre WW2, whereas AyA Senior was circa 1979 to about 1987, but only very few made of either.

Edited by JohnfromUK

18 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Spanish copies of the Purdey/Beesley are very scarce:  AyA Senior (also known in UK as Premiere) and Ignacio Ugartea model 1040 (think I've remembered that right) are the only two I can think of.

Cheaper and less complicated to make and adjust than the Purdey/Beesley action was pre WW2, whereas AyA Senior was circa 1979 to about 1987, but only very few made of either.

Victor Sarasqueta built them too.How many I dont know but there were a pair for sale last year in London .

10 minutes ago, matone said:

Victor Sarasqueta built them too.How many I dont know but there were a pair for sale last year in London .

Quite right - I had forgotten that pair!

I have also corrected a cut and paste type error in my post above re dates.

Edited by JohnfromUK

39 minutes ago, button said:

Do you have a link to the pair of VS you refer to?

Thanks

I did once have a bookmark, but think I must have deleted it.  I believe the VS Beesley action was model 211.  These images are a VS.  I will post some of a Ugartechea on a following post.  Thse images are not mine and are from another web source.

The Ugartechea model was definitely model 1040.  Both of these were made in the 1930s, though whether they were made after the war, I don't know.

image.png.a02f6e064190b75e9a19767cfd12259d.png

image.png.1e1f9e91d49baddb1643cae4a60c286d.png

image.png.b8bbc22ff06e1405e80906655ccab65b.png

Ignacio Ugartechea Model 1040

image.png.d09413d28bf27009ce9bcd756db8e409.png

49 minutes ago, button said:

I remember, was it the pigeon guns at London Gun Services c.£7.5k

Yes,that sounds familiar!!!

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

All this is very interesting and I must confess I knew none of it. I have never seen a Spanish Beesley copy but they obviously do exist. I have an Uggie from 1962 but that is definitely a Holland action. The ones in the pics above look really nicely done.

Get hold of a copy of `Spanish Best` if you can,lot`s of info on the gunmakers of Spain there.