Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

Just been looking at your pics on page 5 (again)

Sadly that is the way it is.  I subsequently 'came across' a straight hand double trigger one in Yorkshire - which a friend in the USA eventually bought.  My gun is interesting in that it is the only one ever made with a single trigger, and I think the only one with a pistol grip (just my luck!).  Only about 40 Seniors have ever been made (and that includes some pairs, at least one set of 3 - and even one set of 6).  All except one (a 16 bore) were 12 bores.  I think all had 28" barrels - though mine has a second set (made later by AyA) of 30" 'pigeon rib' barrels in addition to it's original 28" ones.  I prefer my No 1 to shoot (lighter and faster handling), though I do like the self opening action.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I have handled quite a few No. 1’s (as a loader) and most were fitted with Holland type self openers, but I think this is optional. My regular driven game gun is a Holland Royal Brevis self opener and I, too, love the self opening action. What a revelation to use on a busy partridge drive.

Just now, London Best said:

I have handled quite a few No. 1’s (as a loader) and most were fitted with Holland type self openers, but I think this is optional. My regular driven game gun is a Holland Royal Brevis self opener and I, too, love the self opening action. What a revelation to use on a busy partridge drive.

Apart from the Senior, all AyA self openers (as far as I know) are on the Holland and Holland system. It was always an extra cost option on the lesser guns and I'm not sure if it is standard on the Imperial (the present 'top' model).  It is also available on the Best Quality Boxlock.  I have an Atkin 'spring opener' on the Beesley system.

Many makers have sold one or two Beesley actioned guns, but only Purdey have made any quantity, (about 15,000+ I believe) and Atkins (I believe under 500).  Many others (Dickson, Grant, Churchill, Peter Nelson, Watson Brothers, Peter Chapman, Hartman & Weiss, Hellis, Symes & Wright, Boswell, Brazier, Wm Evans, Rosson) have either made or retailed at least one Beesley actioned model.  This list is almost certainly not be exhaustive and has been based on various sources, so may not even be correct, but the principle that many have 'tried' is my point.  It is reputed to be very difficult to get 'just right'.  Gough Thomas regarded the Atkin version highly as it has a slightly easier action, possibly due to slightly different ejectors to Purdey.

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yes, I remember G.T. Being very fond of his Atkin. I think he had it made in 1948? I have used them occasionally, lovely guns.

This was the GT gun http://www.carlrussellandco.com/gough-thomas-shotgun/

There is more on the Beesley system here https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/purdey-atkin-sidelocks

I have a building fascination with side by sides. I was taught with one out in Zimbabwe, chasing Guinea fowl and francolin. Having bought a sixteen gauge William Ford and I am now Tempted to add a 12 to the collection. Why do i have an odd obsession that it must be English? 

I can't figure out why??

Edited by Zimtrout
Spelling

1 minute ago, Zimtrout said:

I have a building fascination with side by sides. I was taught with one out in Zimbabwe, chasing Guinea fowl and francolin. Having bought a sixteen gauge William Ford and I am now Tempted to add a 12 to the collection. Why do i have an odd obsession that it must be English? 

I can't figure out why??

It’s not odd!.....and William Ford made some very nice guns,

• 2 weeks later...