Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I has a coached round with a squad of ladies at AGL on Saturday. At the end the instructor got everyone shooting the driven with my SXS. Apart from one lady who unfortunately really didn't fit the gun they all dusted all the clays.  Especially when I tell them the price of the gun. More converts to the cause!

On 09/12/2019 at 08:13, GBS said:

It is a 1920 JD&son round action. The engraving is surprisingly crisp considering it is 99 years old.

GBS 

Just had one of these beautiful guns in my hands .Turn of the century and in almost unshot condition. Came out of a guys collection. So slender in the wrist and the finest Damascus I have ever seen. Problem is I don't have £11,000.

6 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Just had one of these beautiful guns in my hands .Turn of the century and in almost unshot condition. Came out of a guys collection. So slender in the wrist and the finest Damascus I have ever seen. Problem is I don't have £11,000.

Stop dribbling Dunks, Matron will play hell!

1 minute ago, Blackpowder said:

Records are scarce but the principle engravers of the John Dickson  rose and scroll pattern were the Summers family of London.

Blackpowder

Thanks!Knew they did Dickson work but that guns engraving seems very much of a style ! (in a good way!).

2 hours ago, matone said:

Thanks!Knew they did Dickson work but that guns engraving seems very much of a style ! (in a good way!).

I think by 1920 Sumner was employed full time by Boss. I suspect this is Harry Kell (or his team at least).

GBS

3 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Congratulations on owning the best gun in the world.  Mine's remains crisp in its 121 st year.

Blackpowder

Thank you. I am now itching to get out and shoot it. This one is a mere youngster in comparison with yours.

Best, GBS

6781 2.jpg

38 minutes ago, Scrumbag said:

Hi folks,

Is anyone making a twin trigger, multichoke, steel shot proofed side by these days? (Maybe that costs less than a Beretta?0

Scrummy

Not less than a Beretta but Purdey hve these

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/purdey-james/side-by-side/12-gauge/171107125326010

16 hours ago, London Best said:

Just teasing him Penelope, he’s a mate of mine.

It was your description of a nettle basher that made me chortle.

Serious question. What would you expect to pay for a decent Dickson trigger plate round action?

I may have a reasonable inheritance coming in the foreseeable and have always had a fancy for a Dickson.

First problem, find one for sale. The enormity of that task reflects in the price, obviously. Like Dunks said, he has just handled one for sale at £11,000. I have no idea if that is a typical price but I do know where that one is and can say, fairly confidently, that it will be negotiable. PM if you would like to know .