Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were about a few years ago, the stackable hex shot Idea was novel....but it didn’t catch on.......I recall they were quite expensive?

3 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I can't see anything loose to be honest 🤔🤔

Screenshot_20200101-112848.jpg

Screenshot_20200101-112853.jpg

Screenshot_20200101-112858.jpg

I think lancer 425’s explanation is probably right?

Edited by panoma1

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

They were about a few years ago, the stackable hex shot Idea was novel....but it didn’t catch on.......I recall they were quite expensive?

I was given them and found them in the back of my cartridge cabinet so thought I would give them a go but the geese didn't want to show.

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

" I think lancer 425’s explanation is probably right? "

Highly probable but as can be seen the pin in question has lready been 'tweaked' and as the head is readily accessible it wouldn't take but a minute to check.

I concur Wymberley! My input was more a comment of the build quality of the guns, than on your suggestion! 👍

If there is anyone on here that has a W.J.Jeffery & Co. gun and would be interested in a copy of one of their old catalogues entitled `Season 1904-05`, if they care to send me a PM with their name and address, I will get it in the post in the next couple of days. I would point out that it is a copy of a facsimile copy from Cornell Publications. There are about 90 odd pages but copied onto one side of the page only and bound using one of those black plastic jobbies. It covers all their items from shotguns, pistols, rifles, ammunition etc. etc. so is quite interesting.

OB

Jeffery_catalogue_001.jpg

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

If there is anyone on here that has a W.J.Jeffery & Co. gun and would be interested in a copy of one of their old catalogues entitled `Season 1904-05`, if they care to send me a PM with their name and address, I will get it in the post in the next couple of days. I would point out that it is a copy of a facsimile copy from Cornell Publications. There are about 90 odd pages but copied onto one side of the page only and bound using one of those black plastic jobbies. It covers all their items from shotguns, pistols, rifles, ammunition etc. etc. so is quite interesting.

OB

Jeffery_catalogue_001.jpg

Great offer

I can do the same for J Graham of Inverness 

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Definitely just a fad 

every thing about us is side by side 😉

arms legs eyes ears 😊

there just a fad and the people who buy them are falling for a cheap marketing strategy 🤭

You’re quite right OF. If God wished us to use O/Us he’d have made us with one eye above the other !

Isiaih, would have been OK though and Cyclops would have used a single or semi-auto.

OB

brilliant thread this!

I am currently in the market for a John Dickson round action. I have looked at a few and have one in my sights. I am wondering if there are any Dickson experts on here? Hopefully I can add a photo in a few weeks time if everything pans out as I hope it will :-)

3 hours ago, m3vert said:

brilliant thread this!

I am currently in the market for a John Dickson round action. I have looked at a few and have one in my sights. I am wondering if there are any Dickson experts on here? Hopefully I can add a photo in a few weeks time if everything pans out as I hope it will :-)

Not an expert but I can confirm that for balance and handling the R/A is superb.  Local gunshop Castle Gunmakers  have 3 on their racks

Blackpowder

5 hours ago, m3vert said:

brilliant thread this!

I am currently in the market for a John Dickson round action. I have looked at a few and have one in my sights. I am wondering if there are any Dickson experts on here? Hopefully I can add a photo in a few weeks time if everything pans out as I hope it will 🙂

There is a beaut at Hadfield guns. Looks to have had very little use . Best tightest Damascus I have ever seen.

On 11/01/2020 at 12:58, Old farrier said:

Definitely just a fad 

every thing about us is side by side 😉

arms legs eyes ears 😊

there just a fad and the people who buy them are falling for a cheap marketing strategy 🤭

Could be that Churchill could never make an O/U worth a light ,or even one that worked .

2 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Not an expert but I can confirm that for balance and handling the R/A is superb.  Local gunshop Castle Gunmakers  have 3 on their racks

Blackpowder

By no means an expert either but be aware that many started life with quite thin barrels and they will not have got any thicker. Also, I was advised by a well regarded stocker that altering cast can be quite difficult due to the amount of metal the trigger plate locks are mounted on. GBS

Edited by GBS
Spelling

6 hours ago, m3vert said:

brilliant thread this!

I am currently in the market for a John Dickson round action. I have looked at a few and have one in my sights. I am wondering if there are any Dickson experts on here? Hopefully I can add a photo in a few weeks time if everything pans out as I hope it will 🙂

Not an " expert" but have some knowledge  .Tread very carefully . There some very good examples but there are a lot of "done up" worn out old ones as well . Thing to remember is that the Dickson is a vastly different gun to most others so any future repair will be a matter of hand made parts and some one who has had some experience with them . These can few and far between. 

As well as all the normal things , proof , bore size , wall thickness overall condition , amount of original finish etc . check screw heads for signs that the gun has been taken apart  many times , the stock is sound and tight on the action , That it is well on the face and that the lever locks down well as rejoints on them is not as straight forward as other guns . That the ejectors work well with cases not snap caps .

51 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Could be that Churchill could never make an O/U worth a light ,or even one that worked .

It's funny that with the raised rib on the XXV he wanted a sight picture like an O/U but didn't like O/Us.

Have Churchill ever actually "made" much, mine and the others I've looked at have Birmingham proof marks and the new ones are Spanish.