Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is probably a bit of a daft question but does anyone know if the AYA Yeoman from around the 1960s was originally made with flat top checkering? I'm going to tart mine up a bit...oil the stock and maybe polish up the action a bit(the colours are all gone now) but just for chasing out the checkering lines I don't know whether I should try and get them pointed up again or leave the diamonds flat.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

I wouldn't over egg it. If you can clean them up and they provide grip, call it quits. There's nothing worse looking no matter it's value than a 'done up' gun.

This, wot ‘E said.

And do not ‘polish up’ the action. At the most give it a light brushing.

Cheers guys. It's not really a question of value or trying to polish a t*rd...I just like playing and tinkering, it's a gun that fits me well and I enjoy shooting but it is just looking tired so I want to freshen it up. As regards the action it's lost all of its colour hardening....or the previous owner/shop i bought it from has polished it away because I thought the gun always had a silver action until I seen pictures of them online.

20190315_180344.jpg

Edited by Rob85
Adding a pic

Here's what happens when someone polishes the action on a shotgun. Completely ruined in some eyes.

I love it.

T WILD built early this century. Lovely tight black powder gun. Been after one for ages to do a bit of black powder shooting..

Has obviously had a few re furbs but still shooting and over 100 years old.

WILD SHOTGUN 002.JPG

WILD SHOTGUN 001.JPG

As much as it may be worthless to some people I think that is one beautiful gun!  I suppose beauty really is in the eye of the beholder and we all get attatched to our guns because they are OUR guns. I can totally get behind leaving a gun alone if its definitely an investment with history, money only comes I to it if you want to sell it for cash. I doubt I could give my yeoman away!

On 18/01/2020 at 09:08, London Best said:

If the man is only shooting clays there are bargains galore at present in old English box lock non ejectors.

I can’t understand why clay guns invariably have totally unnecessary ejectors.

If they didn't have ejectors, could do the catch and push of the ejected carts into the bin.

Other use is people getting to close behind, you can fire the ejected cases at them over your shoulder.

I prefer a gun with ejectors than lifters.

14 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Absolute unadulterated filth! I would kick the missus out of bed for something that pretty...shame it's a 20 bore. Prefer a 12 myself

These were made for the USA .The 720 range in 20 and the 728 in 28. Can't remember how many were made but it was around 250/300 in total many were sent out  in a canvas and leather case .There were some later ones sold off in the white when future orders did not continue , but as this is an early number I suspect it has found its way home .

They were all very well finished guns and above the standard of the guns being sold in the UK at the time .

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

These were made for the USA .The 720 range in 20 and the 728 in 28. Can't remember how many were made but it was around 250/300 in total many were sent out  in a canvas and leather case .There were some later ones sold off in the white when future orders did not continue , but as this is an early number I suspect it has found its way home .

They were all very well finished guns and above the standard of the guns being sold in the UK at the time .

Weren’t they available in the UK as the W&S 702’s gunman? A better finished version of the W&S 700 model.......

20 hours ago, London Best said:

.... Seems daft to me to put ejectors on the guns designed primarily/solely for clays. Surely easier/cheaper to use a non ejector. Pick ‘em out and drop ‘em in the bin?

Cheaper? - yes.   Easier? - perhaps not much difference in warm weather, or for hardy folk who shoot with bare hands all year round, but I find that "Pick ‘em out" while wearing gloves can involve a bit of fumbling.  

or buy a good old Baikal and be able to turn your ejectors on and off?

I'm probably going to buy an ejector next, both of my guns are non-ejector and it is a pain on Sim Game flushes. The Churchills Greener Xbolt gets in the way as well.

For normal clays in a SxS I don't want ejectors but I find getting to the bottom barrel on an O/U fiddly.

If you want spectacular ejectors a friends Benelli 828  throws them at least 12 feet with both cases landing perfectly together

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Weren’t they available in the UK as the W&S 702’s gunman? A better finished version of the W&S 700 model.......

Appologies if I am wrong here . From memory all  the 720/728 range were made originaly for the US , they were baisicaly 702's but designated 720 for the US importer all in 26" with engine turned ribs  .All guns made for the UK market at the time  would have had the 6 figure number  for example 144678 . As this gun has number 720004 , I assume  would have been one of the guns shipped to the US .

That said Webly did change the numbers around 1979/80 after I had left in 1977 ,proir to it the company being split and the double gun section  reverting to  W & C Scott  . 

Without a proof date I can only say to the best of  my knowledge  it was one of the earlier guns . There were some unfinished barreled actions that could have been completed later and bore the numbers of the later series  .  Some of these  were sold off to Frank Malin /Chales Boswell in Canada finished and sold as such   and few on the home market.  

There had been delay in manufacture and dispatch as the  US importer wanted them all in one batch to launch a sales campaign , There had also been  a problem with the packing and shipping so on arrival the stocks had packing paper stuck to them . They were all  rejected a with a raft of complaints , some justified some not . As a result the whole batch was returned to Webley for  re finishing  prior to re exporting .Hence the comments as to the superior finish . It would have been the early to mid 70;s during the time I worked for W& S and had the job of refinishing them so I do remember the numbers .

Edited by Gunman

• 2 weeks later...

Information on the AYA below please if anyone can help. I was given it last night. As dirty as a dirty thing in a dirty woman's grip and surface rust inside the barrels. I stripped and cleaned it today, removed the rust and it appears to work fine. I'm taking it out to shoot tomorrow with a few others to test fire. It's not on my ticket as yet.

All I know is its AYA, non ejector and now appears in good condition. The stamped barrels are not over clear but one states 17.4 choke the other 17.9. Is that 1/2 & full? A finger test compared with others suggests absolutely nothing. Wood is in good condition, no cracks or marks. Looks like it could be a nice little keeper for me.

20200130_123257.jpg

20200130_123206.jpg

20200130_121045.jpg

20200130_120956.jpg

20200130_120855.jpg

Spanish choke do not have specific sizes as we normally think . They are between sizes so a choke can have several thou variation .They are stamped by the proof house at time of proof as is the weight . I do have a list somewhere and will re-post them if I can lay hands on it .

8 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Information on the AYA below please if anyone can help. I was given it last night. As dirty as a dirty thing in a dirty woman's grip and surface rust inside the barrels. I stripped and cleaned it today, removed the rust and it appears to work fine. I'm taking it out to shoot tomorrow with a few others to test fire. It's not on my ticket as yet.

All I know is its AYA, non ejector and now appears in good condition. The stamped barrels are not over clear but one states 17.4 choke the other 17.9. Is that 1/2 & full? A finger test compared with others suggests absolutely nothing. Wood is in good condition, no cracks or marks. Looks like it could be a nice little keeper for me.

20200130_123257.jpg

20200130_123206.jpg

20200130_121045.jpg

20200130_120956.jpg

20200130_120855.jpg

Its a Yeoman from 1966.

2 minutes ago, matone said:

Its a Yeoman from 1966.

Thank you that's great news.

4 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Spanish choke do not have specific sizes as we normally think . They are between sizes so a choke can have several thou variation .They are stamped by the proof house at time of proof as is the weight . I do have a list somewhere and will re-post them if I can lay hands on it .

Thank you, I just like to know.