Side by Side Club

AYA117

23 hours ago, JDog said:

m3vert

That is a very fine gun. I hope you enjoy it.

I note that your first kill was an Impala.

Thanks JDog that’s much appreciated 🙂 It’s a Springbok though 😉

23 hours ago, wymberley said:

Leather or possibly brass but might be a bit big for the latter. As it is of a size, guessing now, but rank and name? You might well be able to trace another case to see what/how Dicksons would have done it. I'd let the gun do the talking and keep the case understated. Just a thought and if it didn't suit (the workmanship will NOT be at fault, my idea may well be) the cost will not be excessive. Measure up the detent and add a tad on both dimensions - just in case it's not perfectly square - and have a word with Mel B 3 and see if Lin can work her magic with appropriately sized letters on a suitable piece of leather. It's called something - I know not what - but the letters are burned on/in. Lin has done this for several slips for me but I don't know how big a font she can use.

Good shout I will have a think about that as Mels good lady does a fine job, although I’m not sure how I would adhere it to the case without damaging it if I needed to remove it in the future?

22 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Pyrograving I believe.

👍

22 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

You never justify it to your wife. I have convinced mine that they are just brown and black bits of wood and metal and she has just given up hope.

🤣 How very true 

21 hours ago, GBS said:

This is the case for my 1920 gun. A slightly different case (no brass corners) and it still has its outer canvas cover hence the condition of the leather. The colour and style of the trade label suggests it is original to the gun. GBS 

Case.jpg

That is a lovely case!

19 hours ago, Penelope said:

Grants, surely?

Simply beautiful M3vert!

Thanks very much Penelope 🙂 as above though it’s a Springbok 😉 

11 hours ago, shootthepigeon said:

Ive been up to the shop in Dunkeld today, and handled a few beautiful examples, as soon as i can get my head around parting with money/ or i find something that i can't resist (whichever folds soonest) I will have to have one the balance and elegance is something else, hope you enjoy.

The shop in Dunkeld has some very nice guns indeed! There was a stunning Boss in when I was last up 🙂 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/02/2020 at 10:18, m3vert said:

Thanks JDog that’s much appreciated 🙂 It’s a Springbok though 😉

Good shout I will have a think about that as Mels good lady does a fine job, although I’m not sure how I would adhere it to the case without damaging it if I needed to remove it in the future?

👍

🤣 How very true 

That is a lovely case!

Thanks very much Penelope 🙂 as above though it’s a Springbok 😉 

The shop in Dunkeld has some very nice guns indeed! There was a stunning Boss in when I was last up 🙂 

Haven't a clue here. It's pretty obvious from the patina of the surrounding leather that something was there - and for quite a while -  but when removed it left no witness marks. Someone will know. I got lucky, Father had a plate with his initials which I removed (the plate), cleand up the back and replaced it with mine on.

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Don’t upset him 🙄

its a round action 😊

not a boxlock 🤐

Heheh no I really think its a stonker, regardless of the action really.

Only problem with that gun if it was mine is that I would permanently feel underdressed carrying it around :-) :-) :-) I'd probably have to lose weight and have plastic surgery or something  :-) :-)

Oh, and one extra problem would be all the eyes of everyone darting into my back to watch how I would miss the next bird :-) :-) Imagine it, everyone admired your gun and fondled it on the gun bus, you're on your peg and, a single, high, beautiful, curly pheasant cock arrive over your peg and.....

*shivers* :-)

30 minutes ago, buze said:

Blimey what a pretty gun, it's probably the loveliest "boxlock" style I've ever seen, well done! What an entry to "the club" 🙂

For us nosey people, care to tell us how much it cost? 🙂 🙂

Thanks appreciate the comments, well except boxlock 😂 😂 I would rather not say re cost 😉

16 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Don’t upset him 🙄

its a round action 😊

not a boxlock 🤐

🤣 Thanks OF 

7 minutes ago, buze said:

Only problem with that gun if it was mine is that I would permanently feel underdressed carrying it around 🙂 🙂 🙂 I'd probably have to lose weight and have plastic surgery or something  🙂 🙂

Oh, and one extra problem would be all the eyes of everyone darting into my back to watch how I would miss the next bird 🙂 🙂 Imagine it, everyone admired your gun and fondled it on the gun bus, you're on your peg and, a single, high, beautiful, curly pheasant cock arrive over your peg and.....

*shivers* 🙂

Hopefully people will be too busy looking at the gun to spot my many misses 🤣 

8 hours ago, buze said:

Only problem with that gun if it was mine is that I would permanently feel underdressed carrying it around 🙂 🙂 🙂 I'd probably have to lose weight and have plastic surgery or something  🙂 🙂

Oh, and one extra problem would be all the eyes of everyone darting into my back to watch how I would miss the next bird 🙂 🙂 Imagine it, everyone admired your gun and fondled it on the gun bus, you're on your peg and, a single, high, beautiful, curly pheasant cock arrive over your peg and.....

*shivers* 🙂

Or If you’re looking at the other side maybe M3Vert ☹️

was overdressed and shooting a bakil last season 🙄

so now he blends in 😂 

although he will want another for rainy days 🤭

9 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Don’t upset him 🙄

its a round action 😊

not a boxlock 🤐

For fear of being a complete pedant (I've been called a lot worse I can assure you) generally referred to as a 'round action' but technically a trigger plate action.

OB

I must put up photos of my newly acquired Greener

30" damascus barrels, A&D, non ejector, 2 1/2. It won't compete with the stunning Dixon above though I can also miss stylishly

It came with a nice leg of mutton case, lining gone but soft leather not brittle, and a letter back from Greener in 1951 to the then officer owner saying they couldn't find the orginal records

On 08/02/2020 at 21:16, buze said:

Well I wanted 1/2 chokes anyway, which requires reproofing, so why not?

No, no, no! Alteration of chokes does not require re-proofing. If a so called gunsmith is telling you that it's BS! Yes if you want the thing "Teagued" to accept screw in chokes it'll need a re-proof. But not is you are merely having the chokes honed out from even as much as full down to improved cylinder.

On 08/02/2020 at 10:24, JohnfromUK said:

That may be 'did' and I wholly agree.  Much of the William Powell (s/s) range in recent times was made by Arietta (and I have no doubt many other 'English' names who are less open than Powells about origins), however I believe that are no longer actively in business.

Arrieta branded Arrieta guns(and other Spanish made) are just "nice" as are the ones done on behalf of some other past "English" makers. The very pleasant Gunmark Viscount for example. William Powell branded Arrieta guns aren't nice. Compare a Powell Marquis to a Gunmark Viscount and the Marquis is just horrid, horrid, horrid and many times the price!

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Arrieta branded Arrieta guns(and other Spanish made) are just "nice" as are the ones done on behalf of some other past "English" makers. The very pleasant Gunmark Viscount for example. William Powell branded Arrieta guns aren't nice. Compare a Powell Marquis to a Gunmark Viscount and the Marquis is just horrid, horrid, horrid and many times the price!

Why are they horrid?

The engraving is poorly executed in typical Spanish practice on an already hard action with a hammer and graver. Here's a close up of a Gunmark Viscount and after a Powell Marquis with that cut engraving. Different strokes for different folks but I know which I prefer. On the Powell the area around the crosspin looks bloomin' awful. And the scrolling banner isn't proportionate to the enclosed name "William Powell".

The Viscount image is topmost then the Powell below it. Here's a link to Powell's own video that you get a close up of their Marquis's action.

https://youtu.be/ul8C6v8gRMw?t=28

170312104330004-1.jpg

marquis-description.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

The engraving is poorly executed in typical Spanish practice on an already hard action with a hammer and graver. Here's a close up of a Gunmark Viscount and after a Powell Marquis with that cut engraving. Different strokes for different folks but I know which I prefer. On the Powell the area around the crosspin looks bloomin' awful. And the scrolling banner isn't proportionate to the enclosed name "William Powell".

The Viscount image is topmost then the Powell below it. Here's a link to Powell's own video that you get a close up of their Marquis's action.

170312104330004-1.jpg

marquis-description.jpg

I see, Would agree the engraving looks half finished

5 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

William Powell branded Arrieta guns aren't nice.

Interesting.  I have not seen or handled the current "Powell" guns other than very cursorily at the game fair, when I didn't look closely.

Many years ago when Powells were still at Carrs Lane in Birmingham (and sometime before they moved, probably mid 1980s) and run by David and Peter Powell, they introduced a "Heritage" series.  From memory there were about 3 models of s/s, and they were built in Italy.  I cannot now remember who by, though I think I did once know.  They seemed very well done, but it is possible they were engraved and finished in Birmingham.  They were offered as an alternative to a 'pure' Powell all made in Birmingham and my recollection is that there were both boxlocks and sidelocks including 'round action' finished versions (not a triggerplate action).  There was even a model with hand detachable boxlocks on the Westley Richards 'droplock' principle.  Again, memory is dim, but I think the engraving included the word "Heritage" after the William Powell name.  Pricing was not exactly cheap, being only circa 20% less that a Birmingham made Powell, but they were much more available withoput the long waiting time for a Birmingham built gun.

Edit:  The Heritage series seems to have had an "H" prefix to the serial number and the 'droplock' models seem to have been made by Abbiatico & Salvineli.  The text in italics below is lifted from Powell's history on their own web site;

In 1984 Powell began selling its “Heritage” line, high-quality guns made in Italy by Abbiatico & Salvineli. With prices starting at £7,200, they cost about 20 percent less than a comparable gun made by Powell in Birmingham, and the time to fulfill an order was cut about in half.

Edited by JohnfromUK

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

170312104330004-1.jpg

marquis-description.jpg

The Powell looks like it was built down to a price! You`d have to be mad to pay the asking price in todays market...

16 minutes ago, matone said:

The Powell looks like it was built down to a price! You`d have to be mad to pay the asking price in todays market...

The current AyA list prices are no longer the bargains they once were - A standard No 2 is over £8,500 list price (inc VAT) and a No 1 £10K more than that.  I think the Spanish gun trade doesn't have the same ability to produce at the competitive prices they once did, because I think the trade struggles to prosper even at these prices.  I won't speculate on why, other than to say that production volumes must be a fraction of what they were 20 or 30 years ago, but whether that is cause of effect (or more likely both), I can't say.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

The current AyA list prices are no longer the bargains they once were - A standard No 2 is over £8,500 list price (inc VAT) and a No 1 £10K more than that.  I think the Spanish gun trade doesn't have the same ability to produce at the competitive prices they once did, because I think the trade struggles to prosper even at these prices.  I won't speculate on why, other than to say that production volumes must be a fraction of what they were 20 or 30 years ago, but whether that is cause of effect (or more likely both), I can't say.

But then again, Boss, H&H and Purdey seems to be making money selling guns at 10+ times than than AYA #1 price! There seems to be a huge gap between the (roughtly) ~10k gun and... the ~100k gun. 

Or perhaps the super-rich just impulse buy at any price, and the cheaper or "just barely rich" are a bit more "into" their guns and will pick a nice fit, finish,very high quality etc knowing they don't /need/ to spend 100k?

Ultimately I'm not complaining, seems Purdey and the like are training, and hiring, and paying gunsmith to continue the tradition; which is great. I can't afford them, but I love the idea that the tradition is "safe" for the time being.

10 minutes ago, buze said:

Ultimately I'm not complaining, seems Purdey and the like are training, and hiring, and paying gunsmith to continue the tradition; which is great. I can't afford them, but I love the idea that the tradition is "safe" for the time being.

I entirely agree.  I have never understood why anyone orders a new Purdey/Boss/H & H/Piotti etc. when you can get a great older one (they are after all built to last) and have it fitted.

Same applies to an AyA.  I shoot an old (42 years young) No 1, cost me about £3500 about 7 or 8 years ago including fitting to me.  New they are £18,500 plus any fitting needed.

Edited by JohnfromUK

28 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Trigger plate action.

Please see my next post 😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I entirely agree.  I have never understood why anyone orders a new Purdey/Boss/H & H/Piotti etc. when you can get a great older one (they are after all built to last) and have it fitted.

Same applies to an AyA.  I shoot an old (42 years young) No 1, cost me about £3500 about 7 or 8 years ago including fitting to me.  New they are £18,500 plus any fitting needed.

There’s some massive saving to be made on a secondhand best gun although you have to do a lot of research before you buy 20%vat to start with that’s £20000 on a new purdey