Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a lovely gun Stimo22 and in my favourite gauge, you lucky chap. I`ve always wanted a 16g Greener. I bet that handles and shoots like a dream.

As you know, the FH50 sold for £50 then, so the equivalent in today`s money of over £3500. A top quality gun.

OB

On 23/02/2020 at 17:29, Old Boggy said:

That is a lovely gun Stimo22 and in my favourite gauge, you lucky chap. I`ve always wanted a 16g Greener. I bet that handles and shoots like a dream.

As you know, the FH50 sold for £50 then, so the equivalent in today`s money of over £3500. A top quality gun.

OB

And will be about thru'pence ha'penny in 5 years time.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

This steel nonsense has caused me to drop the idea of a traditional SxS... might get w newer Beretta with multi-choke and steel proof. 

It's making me think it's even more of a buyers market. Pay £2000 for a gun thats £400 per year for 5 years and hope some decent cartridges come along?

Just now, Centrepin said:

Or just buy a gun and enjoy it for what it is, for as long as you can.

If it's worth 2000 now, it's not future value I'd be looking at, but how much enjoyment I could get for 2000.

I would get far more enjoyment if I bought a gun for £2,000, used it and enjoyed it, and was still able to use it and enjoy it beyond 5 years time, with it still retaining the majority of its value. 

10 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I would get far more enjoyment if I bought a gun for £2,000, used it and enjoyed it, and was still able to use it and enjoy it beyond 5 years time, with it still retaining the majority of its value. 

There ain't many guns will retain the majority of their value

5 minutes ago, button said:

There ain't many guns will retain the majority of their value

I bought a nice second hand silver pigeon must be almost 3 years ago, bet I could sell it for pretty much what I paid for it. Same as my second hand Wingmaster or 11-87. 

Ain't many NEW guns that will do that, I agree. 

16 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I bought a nice second hand silver pigeon must be almost 3 years ago, bet I could sell it for pretty much what I paid for it. Same as my second hand Wingmaster or 11-87. 

Ain't many NEW guns that will do that, I agree. 

not that relevant but...I had a quick browse for an ATA for my son recently and they seem to retain value, maybe because they don't have far to fall, maybe you get offered such a rubbish trade in you think "I may as well keep it" .

57 minutes ago, Dibble said:

not that relevant but...I had a quick browse for an ATA for my son recently and they seem to retain value, maybe because they don't have far to fall, maybe you get offered such a rubbish trade in you think "I may as well keep it" .

My RFD has stopped buying in SxS and has an excess of them he can't move. I was looking t'other day at a Sheffield made hammer gun in fair condition for a non barter price of £135.

41 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

My RFD has stopped buying in SxS and has an excess of them he can't move. I was looking t'other day at a Sheffield made hammer gun in fair condition for a non barter price of £135.

Funny you say that I was told one of my local RFDs apparently can hardly give away SxS's at the minute. But seeing as they are a clay ground they probably deal more with clay shooters who shoot game with an over under. The other local RFD I sometimes deal with would likely sell more as he's more a traditional country sports shop. I firmly believe everyone should have at least one SxS in their cabinet. Does that sound odd coming from a man just coming 35yrs old considering lots of shooters see them as old fashioned nowadays compared to the over under sporter?

I think I'm switching fire from aspiring to an English SLE to an Spanish gun. Having recently been reading "Spanish Best" I started looking for a pedro arrizabalaga. There was a 26" chuchill ribbed self opener that failed to sell in December at Holts that was subsequently picked up for £700 (£910 with fees and VAT). It's now on sale at am RFD for over £2k! If I can find a deal like that again then I'll jump on it and not worry too much about a lead ban!

7 minutes ago, theshootist said:

I think I'm switching fire from aspiring to an English SLE to an Spanish gun. Having recently been reading "Spanish Best" I started looking for a pedro arrizabalaga. There was a 26" chuchill ribbed self opener that failed to sell in December at Holts that was subsequently picked up for £700 (£910 with fees and VAT). It's now on sale at am RFD for over £2k! If I can find a deal like that again then I'll jump on it and not worry too much about a lead ban!

I saw that too, I think it will stay for a while at that price 

Hope you enjoyed the book, I think it's a cracking read

10 hours ago, theshootist said:

This is why Holts are restricting access to information on past sales, Diggory Hadoke was complaining on VGJ about people looking up old prices then feeling a dealers markup was excessive.

16 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

This steel nonsense has caused me to drop the idea of a traditional SxS... might get w newer Beretta with multi-choke and steel proof. 

I had a similar idea, was going to treat myself to the best W&S 700 boxlock I could afford for my 30th birthday, probably going to spend that and a bit on a 3" O/U instead now and try and get hold of a cheap yeoman or something else Spanish to enjoy for the next few years.

11 hours ago, theshootist said:

My Armas Garbi is up for sale on this forum an almost unused gun made in 1977 Holland Royal copy. You could get it for £1000. Read about Garbi in your book and buy it!