Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about... shooting them as is until in 5 years where they are worthless anyway, THEN trying to reproof them for steel? Many would pass and get a second life, and the one that don't well, they were doorstops anyway at that point?

Perhaps that 5 years gap will find a cart shot/wad combo that is more suitable to what we have right now...

On 20/02/2020 at 14:05, kevin55 said:

I must put up photos of my newly acquired Greener

30" damascus barrels, A&D, non ejector, 2 1/2. It won't compete with the stunning Dixon above though I can also miss stylishly

It came with a nice leg of mutton case, lining gone but soft leather not brittle, and a letter back from Greener in 1951 to the then officer owner saying they couldn't find the orginal records

Stop dithering and post pics instead Kevin, otherwise, it didn't happen :-) :-)

On 06/03/2020 at 22:04, buze said:

Stop dithering and post pics instead Kevin, otherwise, it didn't happen 🙂 🙂

Hopefully here are a few of the Greener

PHOTO-2020-02-17-15-00-51.jpg

PHOTO-2020-02-17-15-02-22.jpg

PHOTO-2020-02-17-15-06-19.jpg

PHOTO-2020-02-17-15-06-36.jpg

PHOTO-2020-02-17-15-07-17.jpg

PHOTO-2020-02-17-15-07-35.jpg

Chris 'Old Boggy' on here gave me a date of 1878

This is an early Anson and Deeley gun that I suggest was made under Licence from Westley Richards . Be interesting to take the cover plate off and see if there is any detail as to who made it as I suspect it was not made in Greeners factory . I have seen similar marked by Brazier .

The side safe ,horn points and boarderless checkering are typical Greener , so it might have been a barreled action bought in and finished by them . 

Hi Kevin55

Mine looks very similar, but made in 1936, Greener still in business and they supplied a letter with all the details when made and cost etc. Mine was sent to an agent in Tokyo and has an inscription in Japanise on the rib after the normal Greener address. This is a 16 bore with 30" barrels

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

Hi Kevin55

Mine looks very similar, but made in 1936, Greener still in business and they supplied a letter with all the details when made and cost etc. Mine was sent to an agent in Tokyo and has an inscription in Japanise on the rib after the normal Greener address. This is a 16 bore with 30" barrels

image.jpeg

Very nice and with interesting provenance

Two totally different guns  . One built on Anson and Deeley's patent which became the standard model for practically all future boxlocks . The other Greeners Facile Principe which Greener continued to make even though it was outdated by 1900 certainly by 1920 . Greener did in their twilight years  introduce the Empire models, but too late and somewhat programmatic  and a version based on the A & D patent  but only made in small numbers 

The only similarity is the cross bolt , side safe and checkering  and horn points which were Greener house style .

43 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Two totally different guns  . One built on Anson and Deeley's patent which became the standard model for practically all future boxlocks . The other Greeners Facile Principe which Greener continued to make even though it was outdated by 1900 certainly by 1920 . Greener did in their twilight years  introduce the Empire models, but too late and somewhat programmatic  and a version based on the A & D patent  but only made in small numbers 

The only similarity is the cross bolt , side safe and checkering  and horn points which were Greener house style .

it's always interesting to hear your comments on English Guns, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I did not see a provision for a front bead on the first gun. I supposed that the gun could have been ordered that way or most guns I have encountered this way have had their barrels cut off because of some damage. I would be interested in the original length of the barrels.