Side by Side Club

AYA117

6 hours ago, simcgunner said:

I did not see a provision for a front bead on the first gun. I supposed that the gun could have been ordered that way or most guns I have encountered this way have had their barrels cut off because of some damage. I would be interested in the original length of the barrels. 

Think you`re looking at the bottom rib in that pic............

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

They are different locks surely. One has W.W.Greener on the gun, the dismantled lock has Atkin.

Or was that your diliberate mistake to see if we were paying attention :whistling:

OB

No mistake he’s refurbishing 2 guns they were put up for comparison 

well spotted you win a goldfish 😂

the aitkin  is from about 1868

Edited by Old farrier

18 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

No mistake he’s refurbishing 2 guns they were put up for comparison 

well spotted you win a goldfish 😂

the aitkin  is from about 1868

Many thanks for the goldfish. I'll pick it up when next on the I.O.W :yahoo:

The Atkin locks would look really good in a framed and glazed case.

Many thanks for sharing.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

3 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Many thanks for the goldfish. I'll pick it up when next on the I.O.W :yahoo:

The Atkin locks would look really good in a framed and glazed case.

Many thanks for sharing.

OB

I think they look better on the gun it’s in good condition and quite rare being nickel plated 

i shall keep your goldfish safe fed and watered and maybe try and arrange for you to see the gun in the flesh next time you’re down 

5 minutes ago, button said:

Is the AYA back yet OF?

The one James  has isn’t a aya 😂 it’s a nice English live pigeon gun 
the aya is safely locked up 😊

it’s not really a essential journey to get the gun and to send it to a rfd and collect would be silly really so I’ll be patient and wait I’m sure James is giving it a daily bit of tlc and he’s happy to store it until it’s practical to collect 

This Henry Clarke 12 bore boxlock ejector was bought for my father on his twelfth birthday in 1919. It is his initials on the leather motor case. Between then and now it has been sleeved and over time the fore-end had split near the back of the fore-end iron as many guns of that age eventually do. During his lifetime it had been extended by my father as he got older with a unsightly one inch piece of ebonite. So I had the thing re-stocked with matching fore-end from the same blank. So in one sense it's like "Trigger's broom"! 

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

7 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

This Henry Clarke 12 bore boxlock ejector was bought for my father on his twelfth birthday in 1919. It is his initials on the leather motor case. Between then and now it has been sleeved and over time the fore-end had split near the back of the fore-end iron as many guns of that age eventually do. During his lifetime it had been extended by my father as he got older with a unsightly one inch piece of ebonite. So I had the thing re-stocked with matching fore-end from the same blank. So in one sense it's like "Trigger's broom"! 

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

hello, thats a treasure:good:is that a hand guard bottom left, ??

8 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

Very nice looking gun and a nice bit of family history 😊👍

8 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

What a great piece of family history. It deserves to be described as the Ship of Theseus not Trigger’s Broom though! 

Dont want to be pedantic but that is not a "motor case " .Motor cases had rounded corners with leather corner pieces , not brass   . Sounds like the gun has been well used and cherished with the amount of work its had done .

I have done similar work to many old guns that far out stripped there financial value for sentimental reasons and it was always a pleasure know that it was being done for love .