Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if people want to waste their money then good for them. They'd be better off IMHO buying a secondhand Gunmark Viscount, or AyA No2, having the chokes opened, and using (when the day comes) standard steel cartridges. The Gunmark Viscount IMHO being to the eye more pleasing than the AyA. 

Edited by enfieldspares

11 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Well if people want to waste their money then good for them. They'd be better off IMHO buying a secondhand Gunmark Viscount, or AyA No2, having the chokes opened, and using (when the day comes) standard steel cartridges. The Gunmark Viscount IMHO being to the eye more pleasing than the AyA. 

I agree the Viscount looks good but personally I think the AyA is a better built gun 

As to steel shot there are lots of good Spanish guns on the market for little money if you take the time and shop around .  Buy one have the chokes bored if needed and shoot standard steel loads , if the barrels get damaged as a result , its a throw away job , but as you have spent little money you can afford another for less than forking out for a expensive " branded gun" for which you are paying for the name .

Food for thought .

48 minutes ago, Gunman said:

I agree the Viscount looks good but personally I think the AyA is a better built gun 

As to steel shot there are lots of good Spanish guns on the market for little money if you take the time and shop around .  Buy one have the chokes bored if needed and shoot standard steel loads , if the barrels get damaged as a result , its a throw away job , but as you have spent little money you can afford another for less than forking out for a expensive " branded gun" for which you are paying for the name .

Food for thought .

Myself and a friend in the trade had the same conversation a while ago and came to that conclusion.Why people are so hung up on value when talking about guns is puzzling really ,when most other things we purchase lose value instantly...think about how much is paid for TV`s,furniture etc which are relatively worthless once you buy them!  And as for how much money people happily pour into cars etc....well...

Game shooters are mostly paying a sum per day that will buy a useful s/s gun nowadays ! Food for thought indeed.

Edited by matone

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Lovely looking gun 👍

stunning wood and tbh cheap for what it is 

only negative for me is the short chambers 

With a gun of that age I suppose 2 1/2 inch is going to be standard.  And it's probably the kind of gun you're not going to be using every day....keep if for walked up up partridge... :) 

Anyway, for what it's worth, the couple of Beesleys I've handled were very nice guns indeed. Lovely balance....

If you buy it - let me know!

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

A short chambered, boxlock, non-ejector for £2850? 🤔 hmmmmmm!

If it were a 12 or even a 20. But English 28s are pretty uncommon so I think it probably has rarity value.

No. You don't want it. For three good reasons. The fences aren't properly (to my mind) finished. There is just a big "flat" for want of a better word across the top of the breech. Instead of the fences being properly finished by being cut so as to each for a "ball".

Guns like that look horrible and in practical terms don't actually perform well for helping the shooter's eye work. It has been done like that to lessen the cost of the work. Which then prompts the question where other work has been not done to lessen the cost? The description sounds as if it doesn't have an Anson rod on the fore-end but some sort of catch?

Last it has a top extension. Some like them, some love them. I detest them. And on a 28 Bore what exactly is the point of it? A gun should be properly bolted by its lumps and its lumps alone except in the case of guns firing "magnum" cartridges. Both these reasons are IMHO why there's no picture looking at the gun from above as it were.

It is all "showy stock" and that's it. I'd sooner have a gun made to a quality - ejectors, properly finished full "ball" shape fences, an Anson rod on the fore-end but with plain wood rather than this thing. Whoever spent money on the timber has wasted it. Lipstick on a pig they say. Lipstick on a pig.

Edited by enfieldspares

5 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

No. You don't want it. For two good reasons. The fences aren't properly (to my mind) finished. There is just a big "flat" for want of a better word across the top of the breech. Instead of the fences being properly finished by being cut so as to each for a "ball". It has been done like that to lessen the cost of the work. Which then prompts the question where other work has been not done to lessen the cost? Guns like that look horrible and in practical terms don't actually perform well for helping the shooter's eye work. Second it has a top extension. Some like them, some love them. I detest them. A gun should be properly bolted by its lumps and its lumps alone except in the case of guns firing "magnum" cartridges. Both these reasons are IMHO why there's no picture looking at the gun from above as it were.

Agreed 100%. I had noticed the fences and extension. I do not care for that ‘design’ either. I have a 20 bore sidelock with the same shaped fences but it is heavily engraved /chased and is gorgeous. But, would be better with ‘proper’ fences.

9 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

No. You don't want it. For three good reasons. The fences aren't properly (to my mind) finished. There is just a big "flat" for want of a better word across the top of the breech. Instead of the fences being properly finished by being cut so as to each for a "ball".

Guns like that look horrible and in practical terms don't actually perform well for helping the shooter's eye work. It has been done like that to lessen the cost of the work. Which then prompts the question where other work has been not done to lessen the cost? The description sounds as if it doesn't have an Anson rod on the fore-end but some sort of catch?

Last it has a top extension. Some like them, some love them. I detest them. And on a 28 Bore what exactly is the point of it? A gun should be properly bolted by its lumps and its lumps alone except in the case of guns firing "magnum" cartridges. Both these reasons are IMHO why there's no picture looking at the gun from above as it were.

It is all "showy stock" and that's it. I'd sooner have a gun made to a quality - ejectors, properly finished full "ball" shape fences, an Anson rod on the fore-end but with plain wood rather than this thing. Whoever spent money on the timber has wasted it. Lipstick on a pig they say. Lipstick on a pig.

I can not agree with all of your comments , the gun is typical of its age and type .  It dose not have any pretension of being a quality gun and was made to a price .The name has no real meaning in this instance and would have been just as god or bad if had been marked as Midland or any other Birmingham maker .

Biggest problem I have is the price for a non ejector no matter who's name it bears 

11 hours ago, London Best said:

Agreed, I think it’s £1500-£2000 overpriced in today’s market.

I agree

My very nice BLNE damascus Greener on this thread was, at  a £1000, a bit over-priced from a private seller who knew I liked it a lot and had let me use it on a game day

Also the stock is short, at 6' I'd want at least an inch on it

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Roberts when he owned the Rigby name had some made up. But like everything Spanish there ones that are pleasing to the eye and ones that are less pleasing to the eye. The internet is your friend so do a search and see what prices these guns make at auction and also on Gun Watch and other gun sales sites.

10 hours ago, button said:

Looking at a Arrizabalaga sidelock soon, any body got one/had one, would be interested in thoughts and opinions in respect of quality

TIA

Nice looking well finished but had a reputation for thin barrel walls . 

I have sleeved some practical new ones that barrel walls of .015"  , so take care and have the barrels thoroughly checked .

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Nice looking well finished but had a reputation for thin barrel walls . 

I have sleeved some practical new ones that barrel walls of .015"  , so take care and have the barrels thoroughly checked .

Thanks, out of interest where would you view they sit compared to AYA and Arrieta?

In my opinion the Arrieta is the most elegant of the three and the least elegant the AyA. That's simply because I find that the cyanide colour hardening of the AyA too harsh as is its hammer and graver cut engraving. the Arrieta "cheats" as it were by having it would appear its engraving rolled on? But looks better for it as well as looking better for the actions being mostly presented "white" (that is without the colour of the cyanide hardening present). The Arrizabalaga guns that I have actually handled when well done are very nice. Those that I've handled when not done well I haven't liked. So I'd rank them above the AyA for looks and depending on the actual gun above or below the Arrita. But as an "all around" for looks with price the Arrieta is my first pick.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=A0915+++1332+&refno=+++92515&saletype=

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullcatalogue.asp?salelot=A0916+++1301+&refno=103019&image=0