Side by Side Club

AYA117

46 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Took the gun out this afternoon, missed one easy pigeon and nothing else came into range sadly... will need to take it to the clay ground to get a proper idea of how it fits me based on how many I hit! 

Try 24gram shells at clays,usually much more pleasant in s/sides !

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

An interesting point, I wonder if we can get hold of it to see if it is the gun or NOT?

I think we should it’s obviously going to need some training and then we could ask ditchman and team tractor to fettle it a bit unless 

no it couldn’t be...........

On 25/05/2020 at 21:26, matone said:

Theyre different to o/u`s, being more instinctive is usually the best way ,concentrate on the bird etc. More satisfying when you get the hang of it!

I just needed the opportunity to get my eye in. The clay ground opened yesterday by appointment only, I couldn't get anyone to go with me (it's open until 9pm tonight) but I went on my own.

They have a delay setting on the control box.

Starting with skeet, I managed 20/25, shooting several crossing birds that I usually miss with my OU, I think the slightly tighter 3/8 helps and might make my OU chokes a bit tighter on the second barrel based off today. This was shooting 28g 9's. 

I then headed down to English sporting, I didn't really count, just shot, reloaded, and then moved onto the next stand after each round. I think I managed about 80% ish (40/50 or so) but might be + or - a couple... I certainly didn't miss very many. This time shooting 28g 7 1/2's. 

Looks like the gun is a shooter. Didn't concentrate on the bead, just focused on the clay/bird and enjoyed the success. They have even changed the traps around so I didn't know where half of them were coming from until they were in the air, made it a bit interesting, especially as they were on a delayed pair, so if I shot the more open choke first and it turned out of went far away I then had to use the tighter choke on the closer one :lol: ... good bit of fun on my own and as there was hardly anyone there I was round both course within an hour and on my way back home :) 

Just cleaned the gun, polished off a large rum and coke, think'll I'll have a glass of port now and go watch telly :) 

My mate has been telling me how to steam out the minimal dinks in the stock, might give it a go, and re-oil a couple of little patches that are looking a little bit worn. The metal work on the action and barrels however isn't showing any marks it looks great. I do think those that there is perhaps a piece missing? that little swiveling piece on one side... it's only on one side... isn't there supposed to be one on each side? :hmm: 

Steaming dinks is best done with a broad (think 1/8") tipped electric soldering iron. Soak a piece of 4x2 or cotton t-shirt in water until it is sopping wet. Place this still wet over the dink and put the tip of the soldering iron onto the spot where the dink is. Keep until the steam stops. 

Leave the swivelling piece alone! There's only the one. If I ruled the World there'd be none! In fact get a gunsmith to make and engrave a normal pin and throw the swivelling piece in the back of your gun cabinet.

It is a unscrewable pin to enable foolish gun owners to remove the locks. Unscrew it angle it slightly use it to push the right had lock off. Thus risking damage to the surrounding woodwork.

Holland's were responsible for that affectation and each to their own but I don't like them. They are there to remove your locks if the gun gets a real soaking to be able to dry and oil the lockwork. My advice is leave the locks where they are. Lastly use vaseline to lubricate the knuckle.

Edited by enfieldspares

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I just needed the opportunity to get my eye in. The clay ground opened yesterday by appointment only, I couldn't get anyone to go with me (it's open until 9pm tonight) but I went on my own.

They have a delay setting on the control box.

Starting with skeet, I managed 20/25, shooting several crossing birds that I usually miss with my OU, I think the slightly tighter 3/8 helps and might make my OU chokes a bit tighter on the second barrel based off today. This was shooting 28g 9's. 

I then headed down to English sporting, I didn't really count, just shot, reloaded, and then moved onto the next stand after each round. I think I managed about 80% ish (40/50 or so) but might be + or - a couple... I certainly didn't miss very many. This time shooting 28g 7 1/2's. 

Looks like the gun is a shooter. Didn't concentrate on the bead, just focused on the clay/bird and enjoyed the success. They have even changed the traps around so I didn't know where half of them were coming from until they were in the air, made it a bit interesting, especially as they were on a delayed pair, so if I shot the more open choke first and it turned out of went far away I then had to use the tighter choke on the closer one  ... good bit of fun on my own and as there was hardly anyone there I was round both course within an hour and on my way back home  

Just cleaned the gun, polished off a large rum and coke, think'll I'll have a glass of port now and go watch telly  

My mate has been telling me how to steam out the minimal dinks in the stock, might give it a go, and re-oil a couple of little patches that are looking a little bit worn. The metal work on the action and barrels however isn't showing any marks it looks great. I do think those that there is perhaps a piece missing? that little swiveling piece on one side... it's only on one side... isn't there supposed to be one on each side?  

All in all,a bit of a result then !!! 

Well done, Lloyd, glad you are settled with it.

Just a couple of points from your post and replies. 
1. What Enfieldspares says! 
2. You mention the bead..... never, that’s never, look at the bead, ever. 
3. Forget about the chokes, they didn’t make any difference. 
4. Forget about the shot size, that didn’t make any difference either.

Enjoy your new gun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Joined the side by side club. I bought this 1867 ish Linington Damascus hammer gun as a project from bosher. Redone the wood and rebrowned the barrels and gave it a good old clean and polish. Took it clay shooting today for the first time. So light and graceful to use. I am a convert. Used some nice light 65mm Hull Comp X 21g 7.5. Amazed at the lack of recoil and how well it shot. 

I hope you all like it. 

IMG_20200621_135751_141.jpg

15 minutes ago, paulinlincs said:

Joined the side by side club. I bought this 1867 ish Linington Damascus hammer gun as a project from bosher. Redone the wood and rebrowned the barrels and gave it a good old clean and polish. Took it clay shooting today for the first time. So light and graceful to use. I am a convert. Used some nice light 65mm Hull Comp X 21g 7.5. Amazed at the lack of recoil and how well it shot. 

I hope you all like it. 

Pleased you got it eventually! Looks like you`ve been busy to get that done  and a good result..

3 hours ago, paulinlincs said:

I hope you all like it. 

Very nice, I use comp x 21gm in my English guns, 28gm for game