Side by Side Club

AYA117

Also, the smooth flat plate in the centre of the action is the spring that operates against the underlever, at the front of the action you can see two stress fractures where the force of the spring acts against the action. I dont know if these areas could be repaired by a skilled metal worker using the likes of laser welding, mini TIG or even brazing. Sadly all skills (and tools!) I would love to possess but don't. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Huntly said:

Thank you, I will get in touch and ask him. Its a pity I live so far away or I would have taken it in for him to look at in person. I am going to need to get the gun checked over as I don't have the tools to measure the barrel dimensions or the knowledge to appraise a piece of damage to the underside of the action, where a small piece of metal appears to have broken away.

I am not a gunmaker, but you certainly need to get that looked at (as you obviously intend to).  I cannot see the gun being 'provable' in that state because that damage will weaken the action - and I have no idea if a repair would be technically possible - let alone economically viable (which I doubt).  Mark is very knowledgeable and fully 'hands on'.  He normally responds promptly to emails.

• 3 weeks later...

A little update about the George Gibbs, Mark did indeed respond to my query promptly and has told me that I have a 1st pattern Gibbs & Pitt, the 154th made after the patent being granted in 1873. He believes that this gun dates from 1876-1877 and also pointed out that this gun has had its safety converted from the first type, mounted on the stock, to the 2nd type mounted on the action. He also thinks the damage to the action could be repaired, by someone with the correct skills, and submitted for reproof. I hope to pass his way sometime so that I can take the gun to him in person, and if the cost isn't prohibitive I will try to have it repaired and use it again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well! What a day!

Woke about 4 am in considerable pain - arthritis again - tried to hang in there but couldn't so up before the alarm. Breakfast for me and the dog, tea in bed for 'er indoors and then walk the dog. All clear so set off to have a look at a gun. For the reason given elsewhere and the pain I really had to struggle to make that decision. Then just west of Dorchester I lost 3&1/2 (sometimes I could get 5th)gears out of the 7 and it's a long way to Salisbury. Damn it, keep going and think. Finally found that if I couldn't slip the clutch in 3rd because the hill was too steep, I could turn off the engine,engage 1st with the peddle down and start the engine and we were away. When I finally got back home, the pain was a damned sight worse than at 4 am having had to keep forcing the lever home.

Was it worth it?

Well, you decide 1962 Webley and Scott 12 Bore 702 25" Barrels with Churchill Rib Bores both .728 and right carries 17 points and the left 35  all in a Brady canvas case. At this point I could do with Gunman. The case makerslabel (not the Brady one) was Jeffery of Guildford whose details were also engraved on the gun floor plate. Did these two firms have a bit of a rapport?

Anyone for pigeon?

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Well! What a day!

Woke about 4 am in considerable pain - arthritis again - tried to hang in there but couldn't so up before the alarm. Breakfast for me and the dog, tea in bed for 'er indoors and then walk the dog. All clear so set off to have a look at a gun. For the reason given elsewhere and the pain I really had to struggle to make that decision. Then just west of Dorchester I lost 3&1/2 (sometimes I could get 5th)gears out of the 7 and it's a long way to Salisbury. Damn it, keep going and think. Finally found that if I couldn't slip the clutch in 3rd because the hill was too steep, I could turn off the engine,engage 1st with the peddle down and start the engine and we were away. When I finally got back home, the pain was a damned sight worse than at 4 am having had to keep forcing the lever home.

Was it worth it?

Well, you decide 1962 Webley and Scott 12 Bore 702 25" Barrels with Churchill Rib Bores both .728 and right carries 17 points and the left 35  all in a Brady canvas case. At this point I could do with Gunman. The case makerslabel (not the Brady one) was Jeffery of Guildford whose details were also engraved on the gun floor plate. Did these two firms have a bit of a rapport?

Anyone for pigeon?

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Very nice, my local rfd had a 700 in a few years that I pined over but it was far to short and just a little bit more than id like to have spent.

Colour hardening looks good and a  nice little oval for you to have your initials on there too 👍

Hope it brings you plenty of joy.

13 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Very nice, my local rfd had a 700 in a few years that I pined over but it was far to short and just a little bit more than id like to have spent.

Colour hardening looks good and a  nice little oval for you to have your initials on there too 👍

Hope it brings you plenty of joy.

Thank you very much indeed.

38 minutes ago, London Best said:

That looks very crisp and little used. Nice find.

Yep, as far as I could see, very little use and in truly superb condition with not a mark on it to speak of and it definitely hasn't been tarted up. At 15.5" the LoP is a tad long so it's off to UKGR and we'll see what they have to say about it. Price wise, it reflects the advantage of buying/preferring what not many want.

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Yep, as far as I could see, very little use and in truly superb condition with not a mark on it to speak of and it definitely hasn't been tarted up. At 15.5" the LoP is a tad long so it's off to UKGR and we'll see what they have to say about it. Price wise, it reflects the advantage of buying/preferring what not many want.

It is very much my kind of gun, but for me it carries too much choke, so personally I would be removing most of that. You, of course, may think differently.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

It is very much my kind of gun, but for me it carries too much choke, so personally I would be removing most of that. You, of course, may think differently.

Yep, I now only shoot pigeon so I need some. Thought I'd get the stock done and then have a look at what it throws with the many cartridges that i already have.

20 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

I think the grain in that stock is stunningly attractive. The way in runs through that hand and sweeps up like a wave is just what I like. Beautiful, congratulations. 

Thank you. The sales blurb included a photo supposedly of the sale gun which is what caught my eye initially. No recoil pad, but they kept on saying that a Kickeez pad was fitted. I'm now confused but went up for a shufti anyway. It turned out that just at the moment they're having to use generic photos and it would have helped had they said so. However, I can only imagine that the two stocks came from the same piece of timber as what I got and what you see is virtually identical to the generic photo - I tried to show you but the advert has already been pulled.

Webley made a lot of guns for Jeffries .To memory they also had the Jeffery No on the guard .

The gun shown is not a 700 but a 702 as it has shoulders on the action and panels and points on the stock as well as better figured wood .But dont tell them as they may want more money !

Several provicial gunshops/makers did order specifics such as 700 with702 wood r, ounded actions or diferences in engraving .Lagely what ever the customer wanted .

23 hours ago, Gunman said:

Webley made a lot of guns for Jeffries .To memory they also had the Jeffery No on the guard .

The gun shown is not a 700 but a 702 as it has shoulders on the action and panels and points on the stock as well as better figured wood .But dont tell them as they may want more money !

Several provicial gunshops/makers did order specifics such as 700 with702 wood r, ounded actions or diferences in engraving .Lagely what ever the customer wanted .

Many thanks. Yep, it was bought and sold as a 702.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18 August 2020 at 21:15, Skip66 said:

Found this little beauty for fifty pounds.JWilkes non ejector no 9032.No idea how old it is,but its been sleeved has 26 inch barrels.Think ill take it to wisemans to check it over before i give her a go.

IMG_20200805_224937_473.jpg

What a lovely gun.

Nigel Brown's book dates your gun between 1922 & 23, so coming up for 100 years old. You now need an old guncase and Wilkes trade label to house it.

OB