Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that don't know the sunburst is how Purdey traditionally file finish the rear face of their barrels. Rather than the usual diagonal (or vertical) parallel lines used by other makers.

But as for a baseball cap with Purdey on it there's only one other practice that is exceeds such in vulgarity. Which is having the said same name inlaid in gold on the lockplates or rib of gun itself.

purdey-feature.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

Thinking of selling that AYA 117 that I recently bought ... it’s far too nice for the shooting I do! 

The other day I used my Spanish Master SxS to bash a path through a bramble patch ... then one of the lads fell over trying to cross a stream, so I just threw the gun across the other side and then jumped across, picked it up and reloaded and off we went. 

I obviously unloaded the gun first on both of these occasions :) 

12 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thinking of selling that AYA 117 that I recently bought ... it’s far too nice for the shooting I do! 

The other day I used my Spanish Master SxS to bash a path through a bramble patch ... then one of the lads fell over trying to cross a stream, so I just threw the gun across the other side and then jumped across, picked it up and reloaded and off we went. 

I obviously unloaded the gun first on both of these occasions  

You really do need to learn that there is a difference between rough shooting and rough treatment.
What you are describing there is bordering on abuse of your equipment. No wonder so many of the secondhand guns for sale are absolute nails!

A rough shoot is one which does not have a full time gamekeeper, not one where you knock guns about.

13 minutes ago, London Best said:

You really do need to learn that there is a difference between rough shooting and rough treatment.
What you are describing there is bordering on abuse of your equipment. No wonder so many of the secondhand guns for sale are absolute nails!

A rough shoot is one which does not have a full time gamekeeper, not one where you knock guns about.

All of my guns apart from this one are in mint condition, cleaned after every use and I would never dream of treating them like this.

This gun is different, it is rough and ready, it’s not worth £50 and it was already in a rough and ready condition when I get it, I specifically got it as a handy gun to use dog training, as I don’t mind having to drop it down at short notice, and am not worried about it getting any scratches etc. 

The gun is absolutely solid, and has no ill effects from the treatment.

We can’t all sit in our Range Rovers and have beaters come and cut a nice path for us to walk through. 

I bought a cheap Spanish L.I.G. box lock (far less quality than your Master!) in 1974 to preserve a nice Rosson from the foreshore. That gun has done virtually all my wildfowling and rough shooting since then. For ten years I was in a forestry shoot where you carried a machete in your non gun hand. It needed re blueing twice between 1974 and 1990 when I stopped coastal shooting. It has been used in Africa and for all hide use in U.K. The checkering is worn off completely in one place from use. I would not dream of throwing it about or knocking bushes down with it. 

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I bought a cheap Spanish L.I.G. box lock (far less quality than your Master!) in 1974 to preserve a nice Rosson from the foreshore. That gun has done virtually all my wildfowling and rough shooting since then. For ten years I was in a forestry shoot where you carried a machete in your non gun hand. It needed re blueing twice between 1974 and 1990 when I stopped coastal shooting. It has been used in Africa and for all hide use in U.K. The checkering is worn off completely in one place from use. I would not dream of throwing it about or knocking bushes down with it. 

Each to their own ... there's a reason people used to talk about knocking fence posts in with their trusty old Baikal :lol: 

Thanks for the last few pages guys, hadn't followed for a few days but it was a nice funny exchange, very un-pigeonwatchy! :-) You guys are getting soft, you're supposed to snipe at each others, with one liners with bad grammar :-)

Still no news for my poor blown up AYA, however, I have a few lines in the water for nice SxS. Given I have a "large" amount of money that I've already spent once already, I'm quite keen to get a chance to spend it a second time on something :-)

21 minutes ago, buze said:

Thanks for the last few pages guys, hadn't followed for a few days but it was a nice funny exchange, very un-pigeonwatchy! 🙂 You guys are getting soft, you're supposed to snipe at each others, with one liners with bad grammar 🙂

Still no news for my poor blown up AYA, however, I have a few lines in the water for nice SxS. Given I have a "large" amount of money that I've already spent once already, I'm quite keen to get a chance to spend it a second time on something 🙂

Enough for this one ☝️ 

877898D6-A372-437D-A46C-BBEEBFA5DFDB.jpeg

73B645C8-B8FB-4D91-A3A4-499DB762826E.jpeg

44A09899-8AB3-4DC9-A9B5-CD9C0DFBF29B.jpeg

9 hours ago, Rossliner said:

If anyone can shed any light on the miroku don't know much about it

IMG_20201014_233349.jpg

In all my time in the tradeI have only seen 3 of these . 1 was back in the late seventies sold by Parker Hale that had been sent into the Birmingham trade to have the stock altered , for the customer . [Like to see that happen these days ]. The general opinion of those that saw it was that it was a well made gun that with very few slight alterations could have been English made and if you could get some barreled actions you could finish and sell them as English .I dont know how long they were in production and I recall they were pricy compared to Spanish and Italian guns .

Thanks gunman,the little info I can get is they were in production for short time 1978-1982 they made the browning BSS sidelock which was expensive this is that gun with miroku own name. They were hand made and engraved back then miroku put all there emphasis on the metal work hense the 'toilet'seat wood which is a pity. The barrell are well struck up and chromed it's lovely handling and fabulous trigger pulls. I'll redo the wood and checkering might bring out the grain and change the badly fitted but pad

12 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

I was lucky enough to buy one of the AYA no2's advertised on here a few weeks ago, it's beautiful, going to use it saturday on pheasants. See how i go. Never used one for 10 years.

How good was the condition then?

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

In all my time in the tradeI have only seen 3 of these . 1 was back in the late seventies sold by Parker Hale that had been sent into the Birmingham trade to have the stock altered , for the customer . [Like to see that happen these days ]. The general opinion of those that saw it was that it was a well made gun that with very few slight alterations could have been English made and if you could get some barreled actions you could finish and sell them as English .I dont know how long they were in production and I recall they were pricy compared to Spanish and Italian guns .

And like buses look what went on GT yesterday

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/miroku/side-by-side/12-gauge/530-sidelock-200309142041827

&

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/miroku/side-by-side/12-gauge/sl-120-sidelock-200309141803517

28 minutes ago, button said:

And like buses look what went on GT yesterday

Interesting that the seller says (both listings above) that the guns are modelled on "the infamous Purdey design".

To me that suggests the Beesley/Purdey lock with its integral self opening system ......... however the arrangement of the pins on the lockplate suggests that it isn't the Beesley/Purdey lock design - and I can't see the cams on the action flats that do the cocking and self opening either.

Anyone any idea what he means by "the infamous Purdey design" if it isn't the self opening action?  .... or have I misread photos and they both are Beesley/Purdey type of lock/action?  He doesn't mention self opening (which the Beesley/Purdey is).

They have the Purdey twin underbolts type locking, but so do the vast majority of s/s guns.

6 hours ago, button said:

The condition is immaculate, little wear to bluing at barrel ends, that's it, colour hardening, perfect, wood one tiny dimple , about this size    *     that's it, good as the day it was made, and so so tight. Lovely

1 minute ago, ninjaferret said:

The condition is immaculate, little wear to bluing at barrel ends, that's it, colour hardening, perfect, wood one tiny dimple , about this size    *     that's it, good as the day it was made, and so so tight. Lovely

Sounds great, what a buy

Enjoy

I've just gone back to using my Spanish Master for hide and rough shooting instead of my semi. I forgot just how nice it is to shoot with an old SBS and wonder why i spent a fortune (compared with the SBS) on a semi.

On a different tack, just been talking to my RFD. He's now bundling for auction up to 10 SBSs at a time to get rid of them as they are non sellers and in his opinion worthless. I have been in his shop when folk have come in selling and he refuses saying there's more money in 2nd hand gun cabinets than SBSs.

8 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I've just gone back to using my Spanish Master for hide and rough shooting instead of my semi. I forgot just how nice it is to shoot with an old SBS and wonder why i spent a fortune (compared with the SBS) on a semi.

On a different tack, just been talking to my RFD. He's now bundling for auction up to 10 SBSs at a time to get rid of them as they are non sellers and in his opinion worthless. I have been in his shop when folk have come in selling and he refuses saying there's more money in 2nd hand gun cabinets than SBSs.

My RFD is the same, doesn't even bother advertising them. Seems a shame really but it means there are plenty of bargains out there too.

14 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Seems a shame

Indeed it does, but the thing is guns generally last so well compared to so many other things we have, so there are lots of cast offs out there is very good condition.

If you think of the things around the house, typical service lives before they are worn out, obsolete, beyond repair, overtaken by technological changes, out of fashion are all quite low compared to guns.  A few guessed examples below;

• Cars - say 10 years
  • White goods (washing machines, dishwashers, fridges etc - 10 - 20 years
  • Kitchen/dining stuff (pans, cutlery, plates etc.) - 10 - 30 years
  • TV, video etc - 5 - 10 years
  • Computer stuff - 2 - 8 years
  • Household furniture - 10 - 15 years
  • Carpets, curtains - 10-30 years
  • Clothing - 3 - 10 years
  • Guns - up to 150 years plus, but subject to fashion
  • Antiques and collectables - unlimited, but subject to fashion