Side by Side Club

AYA117

Cameras are another. Lots of film and professional digital around at give away prices. I have old film cameras. State of the art not so many years a go. Made with love and care. Now useless junk, not used except for a few die hards sticking to the old ways. No need to know anything about photography these days just point and click with a phone "For goodness sake"

Must be a small fortune lost on collections of SXS shotguns today. I know several very disgruntled folk. Guns are still as beautiful as ever but the value has gone!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Indeed it does, but the thing is guns generally last so well compared to so many other things we have, so there are lots of cast offs out there is very good condition.

If you think of the things around the house, typical service lives before they are worn out, obsolete, beyond repair, overtaken by technological changes, out of fashion are all quite low compared to guns.  A few guessed examples below;

• Cars - say 10 years
  • White goods (washing machines, dishwashers, fridges etc - 10 - 20 years
  • Kitchen/dining stuff (pans, cutlery, plates etc.) - 10 - 30 years
  • TV, video etc - 5 - 10 years
  • Computer stuff - 2 - 8 years
  • Household furniture - 10 - 15 years
  • Carpets, curtains - 10-30 years
  • Clothing - 3 - 10 years
  • Guns - up to 150 years plus, but subject to fashion
  • Antiques and collectables - unlimited, but subject to fashion

I think with the steel shot issue SxS might never come back into fashion as such. 

I hope they don't come back into fashion anyway, got my eye on a nice little 20 bore when I have some spare pennies.

11 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

O/U really only came in years bk from the states with the explosion of clay shooting here in the UK I prefer S/S to be honest Steel shot not really a problem with opened up chokes 

No, but on a sub £100 I don't see many spending out on having chokes opened up though.

28 minutes ago, London Best said:

Some of us don’t DO fashion.

I know I certainly don't. 

My RFD is charging £30 - £35 per barrel to bore them out.

So £25 for a decent SBS,  £60 - £70 for chokes opened, what's not to like?

Personally I'm happy with half and full on my Spanish Master, same on the AYA Yeoman. 

I'm seriously thinking of buying a couple more to store just for the sake of it. I was offered a fair non ejector AYA last week for just ten pounds, £10........it's unbelievable,  if I'd had my licence in my pocket it would be in my safe now.

So much fun and enjoyment to be had from a SBS, .........anyone want to trade a nice hammer gun for a hardly used semi with a box full of chokes🤣

Do they not ask questions as to why you would want say 3 or 4 12bores on your licence regardless of SxS or O/U? I would love to slot another SxS  on my licence(NI firearms licence) hammer gun probably but having to provide a reason different to the other 3 I already have seems silly.

Just now, Rob85 said:

Do they not ask questions as to why you would want say 3 or 4 12bores on your licence

About 30 years ago I had a discussion with my then FEO about this - and the jist of it was that I could have (shotgun wise) whatever my cabinet was suitable to hold within the overall security risk (i.e. more guns = more attractive target for criminals).  The clarification that I received more recently from a later FEO was again that the cabinet was suitable and because I live in a low risk area and the rest of the house security is quite good (alarm etc.) that still applied. 

They have never questioned why I need any individual shotgun (which is not like a rifle where you may need to show 'need' by calibre).  They have also accepted that what I have are of 'collecting' interest, which sort of justifies having more than one 'similar'.

Two areas on which I was questioned were key security (to make sure my keys weren't left about) and being certain they were actually put in the cabinet, not left outside ready for next time I wanted to use one.  In fact I am well behaved on both counts.  These questions may relate to my own circumstances where living alone, there is no one to shout at me if I leave things lying about!

22 minutes ago, Scully said:

Even when I had handguns and ‘good reason’ was a pre-requisite, ‘sporting purposes’ was always that reason. 
S2 shotguns don’t require ‘good reason’ to acquire. 

Without derailing the thread too far into licensing stuff i think this must be a northern ireland thing, any firearms I wish to get I have to have an individual reason, so my over/under is for vermin control and general rough shooting, then when I got my SxS I had to say  i wanted it for formal driven style shooting, then when i was given my father in laws gun i was questioned as to why i needed another 12bore.... I had to put on the application that it was for short range shooting as it had more open chokes than the others, I know that's a wee fib and the guy that rang me from the licensing department knows it's a fib but for the system he said it has to be that way.

I wonder is it something to do with EVERYTHING being on  a firearms licence here and we don't have a shotgun cert.

18 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Without derailing the thread too far into licensing stuff i think this must be a northern ireland thing, any firearms I wish to get I have to have an individual reason, so my over/under is for vermin control and general rough shooting, then when I got my SxS I had to say  i wanted it for formal driven style shooting, then when i was given my father in laws gun i was questioned as to why i needed another 12bore.... I had to put on the application that it was for short range shooting as it had more open chokes than the others, I know that's a wee fib and the guy that rang me from the licensing department knows it's a fib but for the system he said it has to be that way.

I wonder is it something to do with EVERYTHING being on  a firearms licence here and we don't have a shotgun cert.

I would think so, yes. It would be similar here if everything was on S1, and therefore required ‘good reason’. 

7 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

You can be asked to up your security if you have more than, i belive 6 guns. A letter is currently doing the rounds giving advice.

I'm looking for another gun safe before I buy another "matched pair" SBSs. Less than £100 for a matched pair, how can you possibly say no?

You may buy two guns for that price, but they will not be a pair and they certainly will not be matched.

edit to say I have just seen your inverted commas!

Edited by London Best

1 minute ago, London Best said:

You may buy two guns for that price, but they will not be a pair and they certainly will not be matched.

edit to say I have just seen your inverted commas!

No they're certainly not matched and the serial numbers are way apart but they are the same make, same tattyness, er patina, and given some TLC just might be mistaken for a matched pair on a foggy night🤣

12 hours ago, Centrepin said:

You can be asked to up your security if you have more than, i belive 6 guns. A letter is currently doing the rounds giving advice.

I'm looking for another gun safe before I buy another "matched pair" SBSs. Less than £100 for a matched pair, how can you possibly say no?

Yes, eventually I chose to move to a monitored alarm on my cabinet. It was costly but its a very big cabinet. 

The game shooting elite in the late Victorian/Edwardian era reckoned to average about 20,000 cartridges per year.

There was a Boss gun in a testing department somewhere, I can’t remember whether it was at Eley or at a proof house, that had fired over 1 1/4 million rounds with no measurable wear. That was many years ago. I wonder what it has fired now?

Edit. I’m a muppet! Posted on the wrong post, sorry.

Edited by London Best