Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think that they have made the model 1040 for a long time, possibly not since before the war. The Spanish (and indeed almost all others) have struggled with Beesley’s patent.  The only firms that made them in quantity were James Purdey (over 17,000), Henry Atkin (about 400 I believe), and AyA made about 40 (the Senior).  Lots of other makers have made ‘a very low number’.

The Ugartechea version was well respected but very expensive 

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I don’t think that they have made the model 1040 for a long time, possibly not since before the war. The Spanish (and indeed almost all others) have struggled with Beesley’s patent.  The only firms that made them in quantity were James Purdey (over 17,000), Henry Atkin (about 400 I believe), and AyA made about 40 (the Senior).  Lots of other makers have made ‘a very low number’.

The Ugartechea version was well respected but very expensive 

Had to google it, what a beaut

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1562192963847892.1073741949.281725411894660&type=3

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys and girlies I am now officially part of the sxs club I picked up a w w greener last night and love it I have been informed that it was made in 1895 here are a couple of pictures I took with my phone 

4AB5B3F0-8358-4C42-8D05-63197A3DEF3D.jpeg

Just now, nobbyathome said:

Well guys and girlies I am now officially part of the sxs club I picked up a w w greener last night and love it I have been informed that it was made in 1895 here are a couple of pictures I took with my phone 

4AB5B3F0-8358-4C42-8D05-63197A3DEF3D.jpeg

075BB0DF-5404-4CBA-BB8A-76B13A7B1A82.jpeg

19AB813D-3106-4652-B157-375CC77720F1.jpeg

6DE26E09-B8CC-490C-A20F-CBE0FC5A8909.jpeg

14 hours ago, Gunman said:

What is there to say about an old Greener ? Apart from ask if is original Nitro or has it been reproofed ?

I don’t know on that one as I am new to old guns here is a picture of the underside of the barrels I don’t know what the markings are I think it’s a half and half choke but if any of you can tell me anything please do 

2763BFC8-49CC-46ED-9CDF-14289F15D088.jpeg

4 minutes ago, nobbyathome said:

I don’t know on that one as I am new to old guns here is a picture of the underside of the barrels I don’t know what the markings are I think it’s a half and half choke but if any of you can tell me anything please do

Re-proofed sometime after 1954, I think.   Have a look at this:

http://www.gunproof.com/Proof_Memoranda/RULESOFP.PDF

Barrels in the photo from nobbyathome were once proved as 13-bore, and later as 0.740" diam, so the bores have been enlarged quite a bit (ie:  the wall thickness must have been reduced).    That is not necessarily cause for concern, because they passed proof at 0.740" diam, but it would be wise to have them measured and inspected by a competent gunsmith.

Original proof "13" which equates to .710" , but that does not always mean it was that actual size as they weren't so fussy back then.  Reproofed 1984 [?] at .740" so that means .030" has been bored out of the barrels or .015" per tube wall . 

I dont know whether you did or not , but  any one buying gun of this age and having been reproofed at these sizes  would have been advisable to have the barrels full appraised before purchase .

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Original proof "13" which equates to .710" , but that does not always mean it was that actual size as they weren't so fussy back then.  Reproofed 1984 [?] at .740" so that means .030" has been bored out of the barrels or .015" per tube wall . 

I dont know whether you did or not , but  any one buying gun of this age and having been reproofed at these sizes  would have been advisable to have the barrels full appraised before purchase .

Would love to see a picture of the muzzle end, they must be wafer thin. I wouldn't feel comfortable  shooting anything more than a 21gram or at most a 24gram from them barrels of they have had that much bored out of them.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

Would love to see a picture of the muzzle end, they must be wafer thin. I wouldn't feel comfortable  shooting anything more than a 21gram or at most a 24gram from them barrels of they have had that much bored out of them.

The proof marks tell you it was reproofed after boring out from the original size. Providing it is still substantially in the condition as proved it is as safe as any other gun.

Just had a closer look at the photos and it looks as if there is a gap between the stock head and the action , I can see the gun has been restocked and Greeners are not the easiest guns to do so with little draw or box to pull up on the trigger plate ,which helps hold the stock onto the action , unlike more conventional guns .

I would get it checked if there is any hint of play or movement of the wood .Not difficult to correct if caught early but can be a pain if left .

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

AYA No.2 Guldmann Ambassador.

Just seen an advert on GT for a 16 bore AYA No.2 Guldmann Ambassador. Does anyone know anything about these ? 

OB

Hi Chris

I've found this, Guldmann was a Swedish importer:

In the earlye years after 1950 Julius Guldman in Korsör Denmark founded a agency to import guns from AyA to Sweden and Denmark. Up to the mid 70-ties when the over/under replaced the side-by-side on most of the market AyA was one of the most popular brands in Sweden and Denmark.

The most popular models were Hunters Gun or Shooting Star. These are not the models name that AyA uses, and therefore the need for this page since Guldman imported more or less the complete line of models (with some changes) but sold these under his own model-names.

http://www.shotguns.se/html/nordic_models.html

Kevin

Edited by kevin55
additional information

25 minutes ago, kevin55 said:

Hi Chris

I've found this, Guldmann was a Swedish importer:

In the earlye years after 1950 Julius Guldman in Korsör Denmark founded a agency to import guns from AyA to Sweden and Denmark. Up to the mid 70-ties when the over/under replaced the side-by-side on most of the market AyA was one of the most popular brands in Sweden and Denmark.

The most popular models were Hunters Gun or Shooting Star. These are not the models name that AyA uses, and therefore the need for this page since Guldman imported more or less the complete line of models (with some changes) but sold these under his own model-names.

http://www.shotguns.se/html/nordic_models.html

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Hope that you are well.

Many thanks for that information as I`ve never seen or heard of that connection before.

Kind regards,

Chris

Lockdown over. I called into my gunsmiths today to see if my gun was ready. 

He waved me straight inside knowing I'd be excited to get it.

Savage Arms Corporation. Fox model B. 28" barrels. Single trigger, non ejector. 2 3/4" chambers.

Originally full and half choked but I've just had it bored out to 1/4 1/4. 

Adjustable butt pad, but I may yet replace that. Vented top rib.

No specific age, just pre 1968.

It's going to be my go too gun for hide work, pigeon and corvids.

I can use it with lead or steel.

Being non ejector no more searching for empties.

20201204_125052.jpg

20201204_125103.jpg

20201204_125131.jpg

20201204_125149.jpg

3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Lockdown over. I called into my gunsmiths today to see if my gun was ready. 

He waved me straight inside knowing I'd be excited to get it.

Savage Arms Corporation. Fox model B. 28" barrels. Single trigger, non ejector. 2 3/4" chambers.

Originally full and half choked but I've just had it bored out to 1/4 1/4. 

Adjustable butt pad, but I may yet replace that. Vented top rib.

No specific age, just pre 1968.

It's going to be my go too gun for hide work, pigeon and corvids.

I can use it with lead or steel.

Being non ejector no more searching for empties.

20201204_125052.jpg

20201204_125103.jpg

20201204_125131.jpg

20201204_125149.jpg

Much weight to it? That's one solid looking chunk of a SxS! Looks like it's a comfortable one for going through high volumes of cartridges in the hide

13 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Much weight to it? That's one solid looking chunk of a SxS! Looks like it's a comfortable one for going through high volumes of cartridges in the hide

I've not weighed it, but at a guess it's about the same as my Miroku MK38. Quite heavy but I tend to prefer a heavier gun.

From the moment I hefted it to my shoulder it just felt right and natural and every time I point it, it sort of just feels good. 

It's previous owner wanted shut as he saw no value is SBSs and its not been fired in years. Believe it or not it was going for scrap! Apparently it's the new storage regulations on more than, I think 5 guns.

Currently its internalls are coated in that spray on white grease like they use on car door hinges and it's a little stiff. 

Full cleaning today in prep for a try out on clays in the morning.

WHAT ??? No multichoke ??? No adjustable comb ??? Only 28" barrels that are the wrong way round  ??? Will you be able to actually hit anything with it ??? 

Only joking , I have sold a few 28 & 26 inch guns to folk for use in a hide and all have said what well handling and effective guns they are . Non Ejectors especially good in a hide as with a bit of practice you can shoot as quick and quicker than with a pump or auto .

My only quibble is the single trigger as I am not a fan of these on doubles . But each to their own .

8 minutes ago, Gunman said:

WHAT No multichoke  No adjustable comb  Only 28" barrels that are the wrong way round   Will you be able to actually hit anything with it  

Only joking , I have sold a few 28 & 26 inch guns to folk for use in a hide and all have said what well handling and effective guns they are . Non Ejectors especially good in a hide as with a bit of practice you can shoot as quick and quicker than with a pump or auto .

My only quibble is the single trigger as I am not a fan of these on doubles . But each to their own .

If it had been double trigger it would have been scrapped by now unfortunately. It was saved for me being a heavier gun by my RFD as he knew that's what I was after.  Single or double I don't mind, easy with either.

My request was for a non ejector, SBS, tight action, good condition, plenty of proof left, that could be bored out and slightly heavier than the normal. 

Strangley enough yesterday he showed me one that's got to be scrapped. Beautiful condition, hammer gun, 13 bore on one side, 11? on the other. Out of proof and under the new regs not worth saving!!

I was advised never to buy an English single trigger SBS as they are expensive to repair and too fragile in use.