Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks,

was hoping you may be able to help on 2 questions..

Firstly, I have been able to get my hands on a J Sanderson .410 hammer gun and I am aware J Anderson & sons used to have a store in Malton, but who would have made these guns originally. I suspect that they bought in and branded them to their stores in the old days?

Secondly the fore end has some slight damage on the wood where the catch "clips on" as in picture - what would be the best way to repair?  -fires perfectly and tight on the face so doesn't seem to affect the gun as no movement etc, but obviously a hole shouldn't be there.- what would you learned guys suggest?

many thank for your help

Sipw1.jpg.c43d9bc3d35f5bbf0bf404cf2bba6a29.jpgpw2.jpg.34760d4a5b5fab531459da4ecdaee360.jpg

Almost certainly Birmingham made but I doubt that you will ever find out who .

As to the forend , problem with small bore s is that they have so little wood left when is cut out for the snap work that break throughs are a common fault . All you can really do is try to cut the hole clean and glue a plug in place . Whether you can take some metal of the snap and use a piece a fine glass matting or strong clothe such as bias binding to reinforce underneath is questionable .

What ever you do is likely to be noticeable and unfortunately likely to fail at some future date as  past experience has shown me on more than one occasion .

Even more chuffed now. It was the gun's weight that caught my eye for good reason and then I spotted the 25" and Churchill rib which settled it. Not being a popular choice, I got it for far less - and for a '62 year it's arguably in better condition although it must be said that both are truly superb -  than my '74 700 which is now being sold on my behalf at a far higher price so with a bit of luck I'll break even. But it's the weight really which with a slice off the back end to meet my fit it's now dropped to 6lb 2&1/2oz. The 700 was getting close to the 7lbs and because of the arthritis I was having trouble swinging it. With the little 20 bore OU at 5lb 8&1/2oz when I'm having a bad day, I think I've cracked it.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, grahamch said:

That's a bonny gun - what make is it?

Thank you. Webley and Scott 12 bore 702 from 1962 with 25" barrels and a "Churchill" rib

18 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

whoever did the fitting is an artist! 

You know who, just down the road from you near Taunton. I just spent a little more time with the vaseline and Renaissance and the pad is now as smooth as a baby weasel.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Thank you. Webley and Scott 12 bore 702 from 1962 with 25" barrels and a "Churchill" rib

You know who, just down the road from you near Taunton. I just spent a little more time with the vaseline and Renaissance and the pad is now as smooth as a baby weasel.

Please excuse my ignorance, what does the vaseline do??? do you rub it in?

1 hour ago, Zimtrout said:

Please excuse my ignorance, what does the vaseline do??? do you rub it in?

It always amazes me how come/why someone actually tried this sort of thing in the first place. Metal will do what I want it to; if I pick up a saw and look at a piece of wood it immediately turns to dust and for anything involving brushing, spraying or rubbing, there's a disaster in the offing. To do the job, there was a choice of a 50:50 mix of boiled linseed oil and shellac or vaseline and polish. For me that meant no contest as a first option.

I don't know whether or not you rub the vaseline 'in' or 'on' - ie whether or not it penetrates the rubber surface -  I just rubbed some on with a soft cloth making sure the pad was properly covered - having first masked it off - and left it to 'soak' for a couple of hours before giving it a good buff and then left it again - overnight was convenient. Although still not smooth it wasn't until this point that it stopped being sticky-ish and had gone hard. Repeat all. At this point I'd cracked it but could well understand if a third coat would be advantageous. The wax polish is there to protect the vaseline, but obviously adds to the proceedings. Two coats of the Renaissance and the pad is as slick as you'd like. Remove masking and give one final coat to the whole area.

• 2 weeks later...