Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

new to me wildfowling gun. lust arrived today one of only about 50 made AHFox Wild fowl gun. this is a heavy near 10lb 3inch chamber duck gun was  designed to shoot 3 in heavy duck loads to long range. made around 1945. this is the type of gun famous outdoor writer Nash Buckingham shot. His famous gun nicknamed Bo Whop. sold for more than 250,000 dollars and then was donated to the Ducks unlimited museum .  It comes out for a hunt at the famous beaver dam lake on occasions. the old duck-hunting club made famous in so many of Buckinghams books.

wf0.jpeg

20210126_140220.jpg

10 hours ago, simcgunner said:

new to me wildfowling gun. lust arrived today one of only about 50 made AHFox Wild fowl gun. this is a heavy near 10lb 3inch chamber duck gun was  designed to shoot 3 in heavy duck loads to long range. made around 1945. this is the type of gun famous outdoor writer Nash Buckingham shot. His famous gun nicknamed Bo Whop. sold for more than 250,000 dollars and then was donated to the Ducks unlimited museum .  It comes out for a hunt at the famous beaver dam lake on occasions. the old duck-hunting club made famous in so many of Buckinghams books.

wf0.jpeg

20210126_140220.jpg

Very nice, is that original condition or restored?

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Very nice gun you have there do you know what choke it’s got? 

extra full and extra full. I just received a letter from the Fox Historian There were only 35 of these guns made and were bored to shoot 1 7/8 oz heavy shot loads. a good load for a ten bore in a heavy 12 bore. I Will try it out the weekend with some 1.25 oz 3 in bismuth loads1139460115_makeshiftblindupslew.jpg.63ae560f670d2df6c9d2681f20399054.jpg

8 hours ago, simcgunner said:

extra full and extra full. I just received a letter from the Fox Historian There were only 35 of these guns made and were bored to shoot 1 7/8 oz heavy shot loads. a good load for a ten bore in a heavy 12 bore. I Will try it out the weekend with some 1.25 oz 3 in bismuth loads1139460115_makeshiftblindupslew.jpg.63ae560f670d2df6c9d2681f20399054.jpg

Very good and original look forward to seeing how you get on with it and would be interested in hearing how the pattern compares with a lead load( at paper) 

21 hours ago, kevin55 said:

An interesting read, thank you. 

One thing that struck me yesterday whilst looking at the clay and game site, was the recommendation that when loading tungsten super shot you should always use the fullest length case applicable to the chamber of the gun, or risk damaging the barrel. So if you have a gun proofed for 3" and 2 3/4" you should always use a 3" case. I had not considered that. Probably not a problem for most side by sides.  

2 hours ago, theshootist said:

An interesting read, thank you. 

One thing that struck me yesterday whilst looking at the clay and game site, was the recommendation that when loading tungsten super shot you should always use the fullest length case applicable to the chamber of the gun, or risk damaging the barrel. So if you have a gun proofed for 3" and 2 3/4" you should always use a 3" case. I had not considered that. Probably not a problem for most side by sides.  

As a Philistine with Neanderthal tendencies I will not use steel shot. I appreciate that the quoted sentence is correct IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING and understand what is being said. However, I can't help but think that the original technical author left a lot to be desired. Surely, as it goes without saying that a 3" proofed chamber will also be acceptable to an equally rated 2&3/4" cartridge - just not the other way around -  all this fad of dual ratings does nothing but confuse the issue. One could quite easily see a novice shooter due to his misunderstanding following the instructions incorrectly. One or the other has served our needs without the possibility of confusion for a good few generations of shooters. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you're using TSS, select a cartridge which equates to the gun's maximum chamber size; simple.

On 17/01/2021 at 20:05, MrPhantom said:

This is an enjoyable watch, particularly if you appreciate fine English (or Scottish!) guns. Would love to shoot a Dickson RA one day...

Thanks for that. I've never been a fan of these round action guns either the Scottish trigger plate system or the less superior rounded edge sidelocks produced by some in London and, later, AYA. The rounded sidelock as I don't like the shape and the Scottish trigger plate as I suppose it is the silly prejudice that it does look like a boxlock. But I very much enjoyed the video. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Very nice.

I really need an English hammer gun,  preferably made in Sheffield but I'm open to offers. 

The only trouble is my need doesn't match my bank balance.

Chas Maleham springs to mind.  I have a sleeved Maleham ......... but made (I'm told) by W & C Scott.

Pic in ths

thread

Edited by JohnfromUK