Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Chas Maleham springs to mind.  I have a sleeved Maleham ......... but made (I'm told) by W & C Scott.

Pic in ths

thread

I know a little about Arthur Turners guns, his shop has only recently closed down. His son runs our local Sunday shoot and rifle range. Many years ago Arthur Turners refurbished and rebuilt a Henry Martini for me, sadly it wasn't owned by me and the family sold it without me having a say when grandad passed.

12 hours ago, Scully said:

If you scroll down a bit there are three free to a good home.  

I saw them yesterday and had they been closer to Sheffield would have replied. 

They sound a bargain waiting to be collected.

Once I've sold my current one, SBS, non hammer, single trigger, non ejector in sales at moment I'll be looking in ernest for one.   

Edited by Centrepin

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What difference do the different kind of stocks make to a SxS? 

Straight hand? 

Prince of Wales? 
Woodward Grip? 

Semi pistol / rounded? 
Full pistol Grip? 

I find the straight hand much the easiest to use with double triggers, as the hand really needs to slide back slightly for the second trigger. I am never aware of doing this until I shoot a double trigger gun with a semi or full pistol grip, and then I notice. Both my .410’s have semi pistol grips. Both the Woodward and Prince of Wales grips have a less steep curve to the grip and supposedly help. Whilst I have handled guns with both these types of grip I have never used one in the field. Both are more elegant than semi or full pistol to my eyes. Just my take on it.

33 minutes ago, London Best said:

I find the straight hand much the easiest to use with double triggers, as the hand really needs to slide back slightly for the second trigger. I am never aware of doing this until I shoot a double trigger gun with a semi or full pistol grip, and then I notice.

I don't really notice moving the hand (or not) - to the extent that I'm  not really sure that I do move it!  I much prefer straight hand - though Prince of Wales/semi pistol are OK.  I have small hands and a full pistol can be difficult to use, especially with a palm swell.  A friend has a Perazzi with a large palm swell pistol grip and it is not at all comfortable for me.  Years ago I had a Beretta pistol grip 'slimmed' as it was just too large for my hand.

What often isn't mentioned is that straight hand grips vary a lot in both circumference and cross section.  I believe Holland and Holland tend to have a diamond(ish) shaped cross section (hope I have got that right!).  I have a Powell which is very slim 'in the hand' and even I find that a little too slim.

Edited by JohnfromUK

20 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I don't really notice moving the hand (or not) - to the extent that I'm  not really sure that I do move it!  I much prefer straight hand - though Prince of Wales/semi pistol are OK.  I have small hands and a full pistol can be difficult to use, especially with a palm swell.  A friend has a Perazzi with a large palm swell pistol grip and it is not at all comfortable for me.  Years ago I had a Beretta pistol grip 'slimmed' as it was just too large for my hand.

What often isn't mentioned is that straight hand grips vary a lot in both circumference and cross section.  I believe Holland and Holland tend to have a diamond(ish) shaped cross section (hope I have got that right!).  I have a Powell which is very slim 'in the hand' and even I find that a little too slim.

Right enough!

I had a 687EELL for which I think they used the shaft of Thor's hammer as a pattern. A Churchill XXV Utility and a Regal were ridiculously small. A Chapuis was good except I had to reach for the front trigger a little. Finally got it spot on with a W&S 702 version of the XXV.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely this is the one to go for...........................................

47 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Tis without a doubt a thing of beauty but in my case it fails in two categories. Not English and no hammers.

Surprised it's still for sale though.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

My hands are medium/large but I prefer a slim grip. You are correct that H&H generally use a diamond section. I had both my previous regular game guns altered to this shape before I bought my H&H, as it was my preferred shape. Too slim for some. As a friend put it, “like a virgin’s waist.”

NICE !!   

I think I agree that a straight hand stock lends itself to double triggers but there again shoot enough variations and over enough time and everything just seems to click anyway.    Having almost 70yrs of shooting shotguns of all shapes and sizes I honestly never have to stop and think about triggers. NOW I may have to stop and think shooting my new little 410 hammer as I have not shot a hammer gun for over 60 years. We will see if the old brain clicks in or not.

8 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

That sir is gorgeous looking, is it free to a good and caring home by any chance?

Not quite I fear. My son bought it for me at Christmas 1835ish English percussion  muzzle loader. Sherwood of Portsmouth. lots of smoke.

On 28/03/2021 at 00:03, Lloyd90 said:

What difference do the different kind of stocks make to a SxS? 

Straight hand? 

Prince of Wales? 
Woodward Grip? 

Semi pistol / rounded? 
Full pistol Grip? 

Supposedly the straight grip makes it easier to shift from front trigger to rear trigger on a double trigger gun. So why then are most hammer guns with double triggers equipped with a traditional "half pistol hand"? Supposedly (that word again) it gives a better retention of the gun when heavy loads are being used.

The PoW or Woodward is I think mostly fashion. I actually don't like how they look at all. On a single trigger gun as there is no need to shift from front to rear trigger they maybe have a benefit of better retention of the gun? Yet if so you'll still rarely see them on the "house standard" single trigger Boss side-by-side. 

23 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

So why then are most hammer guns with double triggers equipped with a traditional "half pistol hand"?

In my limited experience (the 3 hammer guns I have owned) all are straight hand.  I had never thought of half (or full) pistol grip as being any more common on hammer guns, but I have never really counted.  I will have to look more closely when I see them advertised!

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

In my limited experience (the 3 hammer guns I have owned) all are straight hand.  I had never thought of half (or full) pistol grip as being any more common on hammer guns, but I have never really counted.  I will have to look more closely when I see them advertised!

I have 3 hammer guns at present. The two 12’s, a Ward and a Dickson, are both straight hand but the  W. Richards .410 is half pistol. 
I notice that many Midland Gun Co. hammer guns are half pistol.

2 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

With the exception of a ten bore all my side by sides are straighthand stocks. Not sure it’s a matter of gun retention for heavy loads either. Many 8 bores, including mine have straight hand stocks.

Apart from my two fourtens, which are novelties really, all my six other SxS’s are straight hand.   
For regular use I would not buy a SxS unless it had a straight hand stock. JMO.

Well chaps 

awesome day today had the privilege to shoot with a bit of history 😊

not sure if any of you take the double gun journal but those who are familiar with it would possibly read the article on the first paradox rifle made by Holland and Holland 

Absolutely fantastic old hammer gun and a privilege to be allowed to have a few shots with it 😊

still smiling not often you get to shoot a museum piece 

5EE1E242-2C3E-4A7E-8A60-95D2A163C8DF.png

F2FB543E-8D7A-4325-BCDF-48419148E4E4.png

Edited by Old farrier