Side by Side Club

AYA117

1 hour ago, Hicky said:

Probably, being young and sponge like I hope he makes the transition, a different sight plane and double triggers will be a learning curve.🤓

If the kid shoots better with o/u starting off then let it be keeps the kid interested down the line then let him switch to S/S 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

If the kid shoots better with o/u starting off then let it be keeps the kid interested down the line then let him switch to S/S 

Most definitely 

kids are curious creatures and they tend to want to try all sorts inevitability shooting far better with a gun they like that takes expensive cartridges that you can’t afford to buy for them 😊

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

I'm in agreement, he's happy as is but showing an interest. Imo as long as he's keen to tieup his laces in the cold and come out then that is the result I'm after.

Pretty well everyone has to try the 'fashions'. 

When I started shooting nearly 50 years ago, I started on a s/s - as did many then.  It was given to me by my godfather who was a keen and very good shot - and it did fit me ...... once I had grown a bit (still does fit me). I didn't shoot well at all (I'm at least slightly better now!) and was persuaded that my 'problem' was that I needed an O/U.  One was in due course bought - and I did just as badly with that!

Over the years - I have learned to shoot both (I still have both those guns).

On 27/10/2021 at 18:58, JohnfromUK said:

All AyAs are generally very reliable. 

Can I suggest that a light cartridge such as 21g (I use Hull CompX 21g) go very well in a s/s for clays - and won't break either the bank or the shoulder!

Having failed to get to the gunshop in time yesterday, I've put a box of Caledonian club 28's through it today. (Just what I had to hand.)

First impressions? It's bloody loud, and will give you a proper old kick if you're not holding it absolutely right. 

But it works, it's easy to swing about, and it broke the clays more or less as well as my O/U with similarly snug chokes. 

I'm very happy with it, but yeah. Lighter loads are going to be the way forwards with this one.

7 minutes ago, Nickliv said:

will give you a proper old kick if you're not holding it absolutely right.

With a s/s, you probably have a weight of about 6 3/4 pounds.  O/U - maybe 8 pounds, maybe a bit more. 

That's why the recoil is more, but gun fit does play a part as well.  If it is a bit short ...... it may seem to recoil more.

My lightest (s/s) 12 is near enough dead on 6 pounds and my heaviest (o/u) a whisker under 8 pounds - all 'game' type guns rather than 'trap, sporting etc' which tend to be a bit heavier.  Needless to say, the 6 pounder is a lively recoil even with light cartridges and the o/u is very gentle in comparison!  My preferred weight for a s/s is 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 pounds on 28" barrels and a probably average or slightly under average length at 14 1/2".  Then the diet is 21g on clays, 28g on game.  There is a bit of variation between cartridge brands and I favour Hull as I have found them both smooth and effective.  I try and avoid anything claiming 'super high velocity' or similar!

On 28/10/2021 at 15:08, Hicky said:

Put to good use last Saturday with 30g 6's(its all I had in) two for two.....sadly it went downhill from there.

I should get some lighter carts as the 12 y/o is eyeing it up.

Had a mixture of odd shells out with me last week most of which were 28g but I came across a couple of Hull driven Grouse 30g 6s. The sxs handled them well and they weren't too punchy in the lighter gun. 

• 1 month later...

I swapped my DT10 last week for an AYA 1 as I wanted something more robust (my perception) than my English Guns, also with 2 3/4 chambers and more open chokes (steel is coming)

I was pleasantly surprised to find 65mm steel cartridges - Hull 24/4-  that did very well in it compared to my usual 28/6 for game and 21/7.5 for clays

So (and I'm sure i've missed a lot of posts on this) there's little issue with 65mm availabilty, it's just tight chokes that are problematic

Otherwise we're good?

51 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Is this a 20 bore cartridge?  https://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/game/cartridges/steel-game-20

Hull only seem to do a 70mm 32g in 12 bore.

No 12 bore bought from WLSS, with a red case, quite expensive at over £13 for 25 with a 'bio' wad, actually "hydro" wad

i've got the box and can take a photo

IMG_2100.jpg

Edited by kevin55

Just now, kevin55 said:

No 12 bore bought from WLSS, with a red case, quite expensive at over £13 for 25 with a 'bio' wad

i've got the box and can take a photo

Thats OK, not on Hull's website yet it seems.  Last time I asked locally - neither supplier I used had any stock of 2 1/2" steel.  I will keep my eyes open for these as I currently use Hull Imperial Game.

1 hour ago, kevin55 said:

I swapped my DT10 last week for an AYA 1 as I wanted something more robust (my perception) than my English Guns, also with 2 3/4 chambers and more open chokes (steel is coming)

I was pleasantly surprised to find 65mm steel cartridges - Hull 24/4-  that did very well in it compared to my usual 28/6 for game and 21/7.5 for clays

So (and I'm sure i've missed a lot of posts on this) there's little issue with 65mm availabilty, it's just tight chokes that are problematic

Otherwise we're good?

You can't come on here tell us you have a number 1 and not post a picture! That's just not cricket!

17 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Thats OK, not on Hull's website yet it seems.  Last time I asked locally - neither supplier I used had any stock of 2 1/2" steel.  I will keep my eyes open for these as I currently use Hull Imperial Game.

https://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/game/cartridges/imperial-traditional-steel

Bit more down this page

https://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/manufacturing/hydrowad-non-toxic-game-range

4 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Thank you - it is difficult to find through their website.  I shall explore getting some in due course.  Neither of my two local suppliers had any (make of) steel in 2 1/2" earlier this year (September?)

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Thank you - it is difficult to find through their website. 

I couldn't find them by searching on their site either but could via google.

I assume they're a new offering and their site will be updated at some point.

Interesting to hear how people get on with them.

Just now, Windswept said:

I assume they're a new offering and their site will be updated at some point.

I expect so.  Thank you for posting anyway.  I shall get some to try when I can get a small quantity locally to try.  I have no wish to buy 1000 quite expensive cartridges only to find I don't like them!

1 hour ago, kevin55 said:

AYA 1 as I wanted something more robust (my perception) than my English Guns

Interestingly, my No 1 is at the gunsmiths for repair at present and I'm using one of my old English guns!  Not heavy duty though, I've shot 3 days and have 2 more to come, all small (approx 50 bird) days.

Thanks for the picture of the box.

4 hours ago, kevin55 said:

No, and already back for repairs as the top spring went and there's an intermittent misfire on the left barrel

I picked it up on Wednesday

I feel your pain 

should have been checked out serviced properly before they let it out of the shop 

these things really take the shine off a purchase 

hopefully it’ll be fixed and returned promptly 

all the best 

Of

Hi @kevin55  😉 did you buy it from... Kevin at WLSS?

If so you are in good hands really, I bought my own #1 from him and he went out of his way, despite the situation we had (I was the one with the blown barrels on my #1)

What model did you get? Age etc -- and steel/hp proofed?

My own gun will get back for service next month, it "settled" nicely and now has a tiny bind when opening. I'm sure it's just the action settling in with the new barrels. It's been shooting very well otherwise, very happy. Needs some tweaks to the stock as well, something that was planned originally but I decided to take the gun and shoot it, then return it later. I'm glad I did.

Hope to see you at Andy's in the new year!

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, 400yrds said:

My new love a 471 multichoke Beretta sbs

IMG-20220111-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20220111-WA0009.jpg

This gun fits me like a proverbial glove and resulted in some of the highest curling pheasants I'd ever shot using 32gm No.5's and zero recoil felt all day. Only got my hands on this gun the evening before the shoot but my confidence grew with each drive. I've never shot that great with any O/U on the pheasants and I've had a right few over the years. The tight chokes will be exchanged for more open choices and No.5's for 8's or 9's for tomorrow's walked up snipe/woodcock. 

Just now, 400yrds said:

This gun fits me like a proverbial glove and resulted in some of the highest curling pheasants I'd ever shot using 32gm No.5's and zero recoil felt all day. Only got my hands on this gun the evening before the shoot but my confidence grew with each drive. I've never shot that great with any O/U on the pheasants and I've had a right few over the years. The tight chokes will be exchanged for more open choices and No.5's for 8's or 9's for tomorrow's walked up snipe/woodcock. 

IMG-20220111-WA0006.jpg

8 hours ago, 400yrds said:

IMG-20220111-WA0006.jpg

Very nice👍