Side by Side Club

AYA117

1 minute ago, Westley said:

Around that time they also produced an SL120 which was a genuine sidelock and a top quality gun. I have actually seen and handled, but not shot, a true pair of those.

I have also seen and handled a sidelock.  Very nice gun, and I was very tempted, but the stock would have needed alteration (it had virtually no cast).  Nicely made and handled very nicely.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AyA No.2 update.

Gunsmith has had to machine out the damaged disc and 2 new pins and discs, plus springs are being fitted. I had started work on the stock with alkanet root oil.20220317_114933.jpg.7b7af420d51594ca69b0405def967856.jpg20220304_151004.jpg.fee25171b153bd9a9f0b1a3a1db54109.jpg

Just now, Westley said:

AyA No.2 update.

Gunsmith has had to machine out the damaged disc and 2 new pins and discs, plus springs are being fitted. I had started work on the stock with alkanet root oil.20220317_114933.jpg.7b7af420d51594ca69b0405def967856.jpg20220304_151004.jpg.fee25171b153bd9a9f0b1a3a1db54109.jpg

I have left the final finishing coats of oil until it comes back from Gunsmith, but I am happy with the colour and I have been able to steam out all of the marks including the vice marks. Should be ready to go by next season.

4 minutes ago, Rossliner said:

My miroku is a sidelock marked FE11 on the rib where does this stand with the SL120 model

I think the SL120 has rather more engraving but that is just from comparing photos and may be wrong.  I have also seen photos of a version (model unknown) with hand detachable locks using a hidden Merkel type release.  If you Google - you will see photos.

I have only ever seen a 120, but I can not remember the engraving style, otherwise I would suggest it was identical. I saw and handled the first ever 120 that was in the Country and that was in 1960's at Bamfords of Eccleston. The pair was owned by someone in West Lancs. and they ended up at Malmo Guns a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I believe I am right in suggesting it was proofed in UK  ?

I think it is also a model BL150. Around that time they also produced an SL120 which was a genuine sidelock and a top quality gun. I have actually seen and handled, but not shot, a true pair of those. A shooting pal has had a BL150 boxlock for over 40 years without any problems and apart from usual cleaning and oiling, never been serviced. Enjoy it.

Yes, proofed in Birmingham 1968.

Only used it the once so far, due to illness and weather. Managed 6 shots 3 of which took down pigeon in flight and 2 running squirrels, so its fair to say I'm more than happy with it, even if I fluked every shot.

It's very tight and absolutely solid just the wood that needs tidying.

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Yes, proofed in Birmingham 1968.

Only used it the once so far, due to illness and weather. Managed 6 shots 3 of which took down pigeon in flight and 2 running squirrels, so its fair to say I'm more than happy with it, even if I fluked every shot.

It's very tight and absolutely solid just the wood that needs tidying.

Lovely guns, as you can see by my AyA, renovating the stock is not a difficult task. Time and patience are all that is required.

2 hours ago, Rossliner said:

Thanks John probably different grades used it this season for first time seem to shoot well enough with it

IMG_20220131_124005.jpg

Landrover and a SBS. That's my sort of picture.

If it(they) where mine, it'd be framed on the wall.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

Lovely guns, as you can see by my AyA, renovating the stock is not a difficult task. Time and patience are all that is required.

I have time and patience, unfortunately arthritic hands too. I may decide to do it, or may let my son do it. 

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Landrover and a SBS. That's my sort of picture.

If it(they) where mine, it'd be framed on the wall.

I have time and patience, unfortunately arthritic hands too. I may decide to do it, or may let my son do it. 

Nothing like stock oil to ease those joints. Having recently changed our car  this one has a heated steering wheel, amazing how it helps aching fingers. 

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It looks very nice - traditional 'Silvers' pad, stocked to the fences - gas vented screws (to retain disc set strikers?) - but who made it?

Arrieta, been looking for a while, worth the wait

36 minutes ago, button said:

Arrieta, been looking for a while, worth the wait

Very nice indeed. with regards to the plain action i.e. no engraving, I think less is more. Very classy.

OB

20220304_151102.jpg.efe27f621d6b9746b7ce91519940c8c1.jpgWell, the old AyA No. 2 finally came home today. The Gunsmith has done the best he can with the action face, but worried about leaving it 'off the face' if he took any more metal away. As it is, it is as tight as when I bought it in the 1960's. Looking forward to trying it on some skeet next week. I shall polish the face a bit more with some jewellers polish and give the stock a bit more oil. I will then look forward to using it in the coming season.

20220512_171736.jpg

3 minutes ago, Westley said:

20220304_151102.jpg.efe27f621d6b9746b7ce91519940c8c1.jpgWell, the old AyA No. 2 finally came home today. The Gunsmith has done the best he can with the action face, but worried about leaving it 'off the face' if he took any more metal away. As it is, it is as tight as when I bought it in the 1960's. Looking forward to trying it on some skeet next week. I shall polish the face a bit more with some jewellers polish and give the stock a bit more oil. I will then look forward to using it in the coming season.

20220512_171736.jpg

Nice to see it sorted so nicely.

Yes, the parts supplied by Chambers come as 'blanks' and require fitting, drilling, hardening and blueing. NOT a job that I felt I could tackle with the tools that I have. I have replaced pins and springs on a modern O/U, but they were simply one out then new one in. I just wish it's Gaurdian for the last 50 years had felt the same and taken it to a Gunsmith rather than 'have a go'.

41 minutes ago, Westley said:

I can see why  !

A bit of background to it. For over 40years both my father and I tried to find No1 to the pair with no luck, 1 year after selling the No2 gun the No1 surfaced and was sold at auction, of course with hindsight I should of kept hold of it and waited for No1 gun to surface. A lesson learned.