Side by Side Club

AYA117

33 minutes ago, RCB56 said:

A bit of background to it. For over 40years both my father and I tried to find No1 to the pair with no luck, 1 year after selling the No2 gun the No1 surfaced and was sold at auction, of course with hindsight I should of kept hold of it and waited for No1 gun to surface. A lesson learned.

It is easy to say that - but quite possibly whilst separated, one or other may have been altered, restocked, etc. and so reuniting may not be the easiest thing. 

Personally - I have no use for a pair, so the fact that I have a No 1 (for which it's matching No 2 was never made) and is a bit of a "Triggers broom" having been re-barrelled and possibly restocked - and a No 2 (different make) which I know nothing about it's No 1, or when they were separated.  It doesn't really bother me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I’ve got one if you’re right handed 

maybe have to work on the logistics a bit if your not already fixed up 

Messaged you. 

One cannot have too many guns, one can only have not enough cabinet spaces 🙂

3 minutes ago, button said:

After a lot of searching this one joined the collection today

Very nice - AyA?  H&H style hand detachable on left hand lock is often AyA.  In the photo, the barrels 'look' short, but it may be either a long stock, or just the way the photo is taken.

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Very nice - AyA?  H&H style hand detachable on left hand lock is often AyA.  In the photo, the barrels 'look' short, but it may be either a long stock, or just the way the photo is taken.

Gunmark Royale by Garbi

27" barrels, very quick in the hands

Be interested to know others views on this, it is described as a live pigeon gun but to me it looks like a pretty standard AYA no 2, when I think of live pigeon gun I think of but not always all but at least some of the following

1 Side clips

2 Heavier action

3 30" or longer barrels

4 Pistol grip

5 Tightly chocked

6 Beaver tail forend

7 Single trigger 

Don't misunderstand me, it looks lovely just not sure how it's been described as a pigeon gun

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/aya/side-by-side/12-gauge/2-sidelock-220531124226003

34 minutes ago, button said:

1 Side clips

2 Heavier action

3 30" or longer barrels

4 Pistol grip

5 Tightly chocked

6 Beaver tail forend

7 Single trigger 

Side clips - usually yes on a live pigeon gun

Heavier action - yes, AyA did models 53 and 56 as live pigeon guns which were heavier (and side clips, though I'm not sure all 56 had side clips?)

30" or longer barrels - Usually, though I have heard of 28"

Pistol grip - again usually

Tightly choked - again usually

Beaver tail forend - I associate that more with a USA destined gun

Single trigger - often, but not always - usually with pistol grip, straight hand usually double trigger

I would also expect to see a solid higher file cut rib than a game gun (which I think this No 2 has and may be why the seller calls it a Live Pigeon gun.  I think also at over 7 lbs, it is heavier than a No 2 would typically be?  My (game) No 1 is 6 lbs 10 oz with 28" barrels and a 14 1/2" stock.

AyA models 53 (a sort of heavy duty No 2) and 56 (a sort of very heavy duty No 1) were often the base for pigeon models, but not always.  Both have a wider heavier action.  Model 53 has a concealed 3rd bite, and I'm fairly sure 56 does as well.  A froed has a 53, so I'm familar with it, but I don't often see a 56 which is quite a scarce gun (it always was and still is much more expensive).

Edited by JohnfromUK

I'm currently interested in an old SXS, wall thickness minimum is 29 thou so very good

Bores are quoted as .736; is this a problem do you think? 3 thou to go, never likely to change

I did p/ex a H&H boxlock once that was 1 thou in proof and the dealer said "in proof is in proof"

2 minutes ago, kevin55 said:

I'm currently interested in an old SXS, wall thickness minimum is 29 thou so very good

Bores are quoted as .736; is this a problem do you think? 3 thou to go, never likely to change

I did p/ex a H&H boxlock once that was 1 thou in proof and the dealer said "in proof is in proof"

Personal view is that with plenty of wall metal, it's not a problem, but I would temper that with;

1. I assume that it is not currently showing pits, dents etc that would need polishing/raising out
  2. It should be reflected in the price, because it sure as anything will be reflected in the offer when you come to sell or trade in!

But as a usable gun with adequate walls to resist minor dents, I would not personally be put off by it being a bit near the proof dimension limit.  I would (if you can) check it is 'really' .736 and obviously that the current proof is at .729 (it is not uncommon that some original proofs were at .719 - which would be a big problem if that was still the only current proof!). 

I have a s/s that is currently .737 in both barrels (Damascus) 25 thou min wall.  It was like that when I bought it - and unaltered 35 years later.  Admittedly it only gets occasional use.

15 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Personal view is that with plenty of wall metal, it's not a problem, but I would temper that with;

1. I assume that it is not currently showing pits, dents etc that would need polishing/raising out
  2. It should be reflected in the price, because it sure as anything will be reflected in the offer when you come to sell or trade in!

But as a usable gun with adequate walls to resist minor dents, I would not personally be put off by it being a bit near the proof dimension limit.  I would (if you can) check it is 'really' .736 and obviously that the current proof is at .729 (it is not uncommon that some original proofs were at .719 - which would be a big problem if that was still the only current proof!). 

I have a s/s that is currently .737 in both barrels (Damascus) 25 thou min wall.  It was like that when I bought it - and unaltered 35 years later.  Admittedly it only gets occasional use.

Thanks John

I'll likely go and see it next week

On 05/07/2022 at 10:40, button said:

Be interested to know others views on this, it is described as a live pigeon gun but to me it looks like a pretty standard AYA no 2, when I think of live pigeon gun I think of but not always all but at least some of the following

1 Side clips

2 Heavier action

3 30" or longer barrels

4 Pistol grip

5 Tightly chocked

6 Beaver tail forend

7 Single trigger 

Don't misunderstand me, it looks lovely just not sure how it's been described as a pigeon gun

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/aya/side-by-side/12-gauge/2-sidelock-220531124226003

I agree,it`s not typical but as it`s spec indicates a bespoke order it could be the original purchaser`s ideal pigeon gun ! Built for steel hence half chokes and as John has observed,heavier than a normal No2.

1 hour ago, matone said:

I agree,it`s not typical but as it`s spec indicates a bespoke order it could be the original purchaser`s ideal pigeon gun ! Built for steel hence half chokes and as John has observed,heavier than a normal No2.

Why would have been built for steel?

I doubt it was even thought about when that was made.

Are you perhaps hazarding a guess because it has 1/2 choke?

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Why would have been built for steel?

I doubt it was even thought about when that was made.

Are you perhaps hazarding a guess because it has 1/2 choke?

No,because it`s a relatively new gun and proofed for Superior Steel.