Side by Side Club

AYA117

On 19/08/2018 at 22:37, simcgunner said:

Here's a picture of an unusual shotgun it's a 20 bore with fully rifled barrels. The rifling is twisted in opposite direction as in a double rifle. It will keyhole slugs at 150 yards. There are many shotgun only areas for whitetail deer hunting here 

rbl pro.jpg

20rblpro.jpg

That's awesome!!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So SxS championship at AGL was excellent really. Super value, very nice lunch, everyone was super friendly and the targets were interesting! I finished with 86/120 -- a bit so-so really, shouldn't have stopped for lunch in the middle, but it started to rain and we thought it'd be a good idea. Post lunch was definitely worse :/

I inherited this from my Grandfather. It's a W H Tisdall non-ejector 20 bore. I was excited to put a couple of rounds through it but sadly it's very pitted and very loose on face so I removed the firing pins and springs.

It has a little history to it, such as one of the hammers being made by hand to replace the original, and there are notes in diaries/journals referring to a gun, possibly this one, going back pre-1900. It also came with a few paper/wax Eley cartridges containing number 5 shot.

I'd love to shoot one like it.

fLVwuZV.png

20 hours ago, browning123 said:

Darne? I owned one in 16 bore in the early 70's.

I know where there is a 16 bore Darne for sale if anyone is interested in owning something different. Light gun but with little recoil due to the design that the sliding breech leaves little or no space between it and the cartridge head.

OB

6 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Light gun but with little recoil due to the design that the sliding breech leaves little or no space between it and the cartridge head.

I have heard it said many times that they are light in recoil; I can only say that my 12 (weight 6 lbs) has a very considerable recoil - even with 21g loads.  They are (in my experience) well engineered, but very much an acquired taste to shoot - one that I have never really managed to acquire!

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

I have heard it said many times that they are light in recoil; I can only say that my 12 (weight 6 lbs) has a very considerable recoil - even with 21g loads.  They are (in my experience) well engineered, but very much an acquired taste to shoot - one that I have never really managed to acquire!

I do agree that they are an acquired taste and not to mine, but the one I've used on occasion (my pal's) certainly seemed to have little recoil and that was with 26g loads. One problem with them however, due to the construction, it is virtually impossible to cast the stock over. This is due to the action being fixed to the stock with a screw (not bolt) going from the action into the stock.

Still quite interesting guns, just not my cup of tea.

OB

6 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I do agree that they are an acquired taste and not to mine, but the one I've used on occasion (my pal's) certainly seemed to have little recoil and that was with 26g loads. One problem with them however, due to the construction, it is virtually impossible to cast the stock over. This is due to the action being fixed to the stock with a screw (not bolt) going from the action into the stock.

Still quite interesting guns, just not my cup of tea.

OB

Mine has about 1/4" at the heel which must have been there when I bought it.  I did have it lengthened (to my usual 14 1/2" in wood as it was VERY short when I bought it and had a very perished silvers type pad) - I wish I had had it made longer because it still feels a bit short - I think due to the front trigger being only about 1" behind the breech face (a 'normal' gun is about 2") which makes it still feel short.  There are two designs, mine being the V series (it is a model V21).  The other series is the R series which I believe were a bit more basic.  There is also a (relatively plain) version sold as a 'Halifax'.

8 minutes ago, Robertt said:

I would strongly recommend trying one out first before committing to a purchase.

I would completely agreed with that and suggest that the trial involves shooting a similar priced conventional guns (such as an AyA N0 2 or No 4) to get a valid comparison.  Fact is mine sits in the cabinet and comes out for a few clays about annually (fortunately the cabinet also contains alternatives!).  I find the engineering clever and of high quality, but the usability is questionable.

Edited by JohnfromUK

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

just not my cup of tea.

Hi Old Boggy.

There is currently an Ad on GT that may just be your cup of tea.

If you and I both clubbed together we still couldnt afford it; but knowing your fondness for the 16 bore, you may care to have a drool over the Cogswell & Harrison Victoria at £7495 currently being advertised. Absolutely fabulous engraving, but at that price and being a boxlock so it should be.

Regards. JJsDad

21 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Hi Old Boggy.

There is currently an Ad on GT that may just be your cup of tea.

If you and I both clubbed together we still couldnt afford it; but knowing your fondness for the 16 bore, you may care to have a drool over the Cogswell & Harrison Victoria at £7495 currently being advertised. Absolutely fabulous engraving, but at that price and being a boxlock so it should be.

Regards. JJsDad

I agree, that engraving is something else. Also out of our combined price bracket and whilst the stock is nice, something spectacular as far as figuring would set it apart. Still, one can dream.

OB

On 28 August 2018 at 07:51, JohnfromUK said:

Mine has about 1/4" at the heel which must have been there when I bought it.  I did have it lengthened (to my usual 14 1/2" in wood as it was VERY short when I bought it and had a very perished silvers type pad) - I wish I had had it made longer because it still feels a bit short - I think due to the front trigger being only about 1" behind the breech face (a 'normal' gun is about 2") which makes it still feel short.  There are two designs, mine being the V series (it is a model V21).  The other series is the R series which I believe were a bit more basic.  There is also a (relatively plain) version sold as a 'Halifax'.

Of the Darnes that I've seen and handled, all seem to have had relatively short stocks, which maybe the preference of the French on their 'Jour de Chasse' walked up shooting. Also, many have sling swivels, practical, but again, not to my liking. However, one cannot be impressed with the engineering and overall design. Not sure how quick they are to reload, but my pal seems to manage OK with his.

OB

28 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

However, one cannot be impressed with the engineering and overall design.

I suspect (from your other comments) that you perhaps meant to say one cannot but be impressed).  I find the engineering and clever design impressive ....... in that it is light, strong, reliable and seems not to suffer much from wear (which is largely self adjusting).

Most I have seen are short as well.  16's are widely popular on the continent.  Mine has never had swivels, but I have seen them on several Darnes I have seen pictured.

They are not quick to reload, but not too bad, probably no slower than non ejector.

The only two major problems seem to be;

• Trigger pulls can be 'draggy' - my left barrel is
  • No one in the UK wants to work on them (William Powell did some stock work (lengthening, which they beautifully matched in) for me in the days when it was run by David and Peter Powell, but didn't want to touch the trigger)

On 25/08/2018 at 17:50, buze said:

So SxS championship at AGL was excellent really. Super value, very nice lunch, everyone was super friendly and the targets were interesting! I finished with 86/120 -- a bit so-so really, shouldn't have stopped for lunch in the middle, but it started to rain and we thought it'd be a good idea. Post lunch was definitely worse :/

We really liked it. My shooting chum won ladies, I'm so proud of her! Five years we've been doing that competition, shows we've come a long way. I am shopping for a new sxs now. Mine is lovely but doesn't really fit. Found one at the Fenland but I didn't bring my licence. I can't find it, I wonder if my husband has put it carefully away so I can't go shopping.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I suspect (from your other comments) that you perhaps meant to say one cannot but be impressed).  I find the engineering and clever design impressive ....... in that it is light, strong, reliable and seems not to suffer much from wear (which is largely self adjusting).

Most I have seen are short as well.  16's are widely popular on the continent.  Mine has never had swivels, but I have seen them on several Darnes I have seen pictured.

They are not quick to reload, but not too bad, probably no slower than non ejector.

The only two major problems seem to be;

• Trigger pulls can be 'draggy' - my left barrel is
  • No one in the UK wants to work on them (William Powell did some stock work (lengthening, which they beautifully matched in) for me in the days when it was run by David and Peter Powell, but didn't want to touch the trigger)

You are quite right John. Meant to say 'Cannot BUT be impressed'. Saving money on words :yahoo:

OB