Side by Side Club

AYA117

7 minutes ago, ips said:

What year ?

Around 1974 

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Count me in.  All 12's unless noted otherwise - in descending age order;

Joseph Manton percussion (converted from flint) muzzle loader, James Adsett non-rebounding hammer gun, sleeved, William Powell hammer gun, original Damascus, Charles Maleham hammer gun, sleeved, Henry Atkin 'spring opener' SLE, William Powell SLE, Darne V21, AyA No 1, AyA Senior,, 2 sets barrels and a .410 AyA BLNE.

Some very nice guns in your collection.

2 William Powells that is just greedy :lol:

Edited by AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, JJsDad said:

They are a desirable and rare gun John. You were very fortunate when that came up for sale. :yes:

It is a rare gun (about 40 were made and they were VERY expensive when new), and my example was AyA's show gun - but suffers from a single trigger (the only Senior so made).  I much prefer my No 1.

33 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

Around 1974 

Some very nice guns in your collection.

2 William Powells that is just greedy :lol:

One (the SLE) was an 18th birthday present from my godfather - so been with me 43 years now - a long time.  It was made circa 1920, and is "well used", and also a 'featherweight' model - my godfather was a great believer in very light fast guns (and an exceptionally good shot himself).

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

but suffers from a single trigger

Terrible things, invention of the devil, designed to restrict a gun to firing one barrel only ! But if you must, I will do you a swap for my No: 1 (double trigger), you could then double gun with confidence ! :rolleyes:

Just now, JJsDad said:

Terrible things, invention of the devil, designed to restrict a gun to firing one barrel only ! But if you must, I will do you a swap for my No: 1 (double trigger), you could then double gun with confidence ! :rolleyes:

Good luck with that :lol:

1 minute ago, JJsDad said:

The Senior and the No 1

Senior (top) and No 1.JPG

Just now, AYA117 said:

I knew you had a Senior, but it is stunning !

Thank you.  It is cased with 2 sets of barrels, 28" game, choked 1/4 and 1/4, and 30" 'live pigeon' 2 3/4" higher (1200 Kg) proof choked full and full.  Case is English made (Brady style) and 30" barrels were made later (by AyA) and fitted in the UK and proofed in Birmingham, so the action carries both the original Spanish proof marks (matching the 28" barrels) and later Birmingham proof marks (matching the 30" barrels).

Unfortunately, the single trigger is a 'unique' design, not AyA's usual ........ and does exactly as posted earlier - occasionally only fires one barrel.  It is also only slightly cast for the right shoulder, and Ideally I need a bit more ......... but two gunsmiths I have spoken to have both considered adding cast 'high risk' owing to the pistol grip and large void inside to clear the trigger set up.  I do use it occasionally, but just prefer my faithful No 1.

I prefer the sxs hammer gun which I have used all my life  with both nitro and black powder . Has one famous shot once said {A gun without hammers is like a spanial with out ears }

Feltwad 

Rowntree Barnard Castle Pin Fire

100_2046.jpg

Harrison of Carlisle hammer 

100_2052.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Count me in.  All 12's unless noted otherwise - in descending age order;

Joseph Manton percussion (converted from flint) muzzle loader, James Adsett non-rebounding hammer gun, sleeved, William Powell hammer gun, original Damascus, Charles Maleham hammer gun, sleeved, Henry Atkin 'spring opener' SLE, William Powell SLE, Darne V21, AyA No 1, AyA Senior,, 2 sets barrels and a .410 AyA BLNE.

Hey John, I'd love to see your Maleham -- I got a 'best sidelock' Maleham, and also now got another Sidelock Maleham I bought from @wabbitbosher -- I'm a collector ;-)

7 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

I prefer the sxs hammer gun which I have used all my life  with both nitro and black powder . Has one famous shot once said {A gun without hammers is like a spanial with out ears }

Feltwad 

Harrison of Carlisle hammer 

100_2052.jpg

Lovely looking ! So how long have you shot it and do you still use it now ?

3 minutes ago, buze said:

Hey John, I'd love to see your Maleham -- I got a 'best sidelock' Maleham, and also now got another Sidelock Maleham I bought from @wabbitbosher -- I'm a collector ;-)

I don't have any pictures on my computer, but will try and get one tomorrow;  It is a W & C Scott made gun, about 1880, Jones underlever and back action rebounding locks.  It has obviously had 'a life' as it is sleeved (30" barrels), and one hammer is a replacement.  I bought it quite cheaply about 30 years ago.  Carries (still just visible) the London address on the rib.  Shot with it last weekend!

6 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

Lovely looking ! So how long have you shot it and do you still use it now ?

I have shot this gun along with others for the last 30 years . enclosed is a image of hammer guns which are family heir looms belonging to my father and grand father which I still use occasionally .

Feltwad

P1010006.jpg