Side by Side Club

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think that they have made the model 1040 for a long time, possibly not since before the war. The Spanish (and indeed almost all others) have struggled with Beesley’s patent.  The only firms that made them in quantity were James Purdey (over 17,000), Henry Atkin (about 400 I believe), and AyA made about 40 (the Senior).  Lots of other makers have made ‘a very low number’.

The Ugartechea version was well respected but very expensive 

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I don’t think that they have made the model 1040 for a long time, possibly not since before the war. The Spanish (and indeed almost all others) have struggled with Beesley’s patent.  The only firms that made them in quantity were James Purdey (over 17,000), Henry Atkin (about 400 I believe), and AyA made about 40 (the Senior).  Lots of other makers have made ‘a very low number’.

The Ugartechea version was well respected but very expensive 

Had to google it, what a beaut

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1562192963847892.1073741949.281725411894660&type=3

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys and girlies I am now officially part of the sxs club I picked up a w w greener last night and love it I have been informed that it was made in 1895 here are a couple of pictures I took with my phone 

4AB5B3F0-8358-4C42-8D05-63197A3DEF3D.jpeg

Just now, nobbyathome said:

Well guys and girlies I am now officially part of the sxs club I picked up a w w greener last night and love it I have been informed that it was made in 1895 here are a couple of pictures I took with my phone 

4AB5B3F0-8358-4C42-8D05-63197A3DEF3D.jpeg

075BB0DF-5404-4CBA-BB8A-76B13A7B1A82.jpeg

19AB813D-3106-4652-B157-375CC77720F1.jpeg

6DE26E09-B8CC-490C-A20F-CBE0FC5A8909.jpeg

14 hours ago, Gunman said:

What is there to say about an old Greener ? Apart from ask if is original Nitro or has it been reproofed ?

I don’t know on that one as I am new to old guns here is a picture of the underside of the barrels I don’t know what the markings are I think it’s a half and half choke but if any of you can tell me anything please do 

2763BFC8-49CC-46ED-9CDF-14289F15D088.jpeg

4 minutes ago, nobbyathome said:

I don’t know on that one as I am new to old guns here is a picture of the underside of the barrels I don’t know what the markings are I think it’s a half and half choke but if any of you can tell me anything please do

Re-proofed sometime after 1954, I think.   Have a look at this:

http://www.gunproof.com/Proof_Memoranda/RULESOFP.PDF

Barrels in the photo from nobbyathome were once proved as 13-bore, and later as 0.740" diam, so the bores have been enlarged quite a bit (ie:  the wall thickness must have been reduced).    That is not necessarily cause for concern, because they passed proof at 0.740" diam, but it would be wise to have them measured and inspected by a competent gunsmith.

Original proof "13" which equates to .710" , but that does not always mean it was that actual size as they weren't so fussy back then.  Reproofed 1984 [?] at .740" so that means .030" has been bored out of the barrels or .015" per tube wall . 

I dont know whether you did or not , but  any one buying gun of this age and having been reproofed at these sizes  would have been advisable to have the barrels full appraised before purchase .

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Original proof "13" which equates to .710" , but that does not always mean it was that actual size as they weren't so fussy back then.  Reproofed 1984 [?] at .740" so that means .030" has been bored out of the barrels or .015" per tube wall . 

I dont know whether you did or not , but  any one buying gun of this age and having been reproofed at these sizes  would have been advisable to have the barrels full appraised before purchase .

Would love to see a picture of the muzzle end, they must be wafer thin. I wouldn't feel comfortable  shooting anything more than a 21gram or at most a 24gram from them barrels of they have had that much bored out of them.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

Would love to see a picture of the muzzle end, they must be wafer thin. I wouldn't feel comfortable  shooting anything more than a 21gram or at most a 24gram from them barrels of they have had that much bored out of them.

The proof marks tell you it was reproofed after boring out from the original size. Providing it is still substantially in the condition as proved it is as safe as any other gun.

Just had a closer look at the photos and it looks as if there is a gap between the stock head and the action , I can see the gun has been restocked and Greeners are not the easiest guns to do so with little draw or box to pull up on the trigger plate ,which helps hold the stock onto the action , unlike more conventional guns .

I would get it checked if there is any hint of play or movement of the wood .Not difficult to correct if caught early but can be a pain if left .