Side by Side Club

AYA117

13 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I am familiar with the Paradox (invention of a Colonel Fosbery), but never handled let alone shot one.  David Baker published a book, but I don't have a copy and it is expensive to acquire now. 

It’s a very interesting piece of history for me I don’t have the book either 

this particular gun fired a 1.3/4 oz ball 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/03/2021 at 00:03, Lloyd90 said:

What difference do the different kind of stocks make to a SxS? 

Straight hand? 

Prince of Wales? 
Woodward Grip? 

Semi pistol / rounded? 
Full pistol Grip? 

All comes down to choice and you style of shooting . 

From past experience I would say if you have  a very long  arms or large hands , a semi or half pistol hand may be more comfortable and feel as though you have better grip . If shooting mainly high overhead birds then a half or full hand may help you keep the gun on your shoulder especially if shooting in the wet or with gloves . Some will tell you that "target guns" ,such as clay shooters , double rifles ,cape guns,  are better with pistol grips , where as game guns are faster with a straight hand .

Then again non of the above may be true and it is purely personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a query. Why "if given a go" with any modern gun o/u in particular do you get statements like  " I could do with a bit more cast" or the stocks too long or short. But offered any of my over 150 year old hammer guns Do I always hear only "I could shoot that" whether the person is long, short, thin or fat? The older guns just seem to suit all!

16 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

I have a query. Why "if given a go" with any modern gun o/u in particular do you get statements like  " I could do with a bit more cast" or the stocks too long or short. But offered any of my over 150 year old hammer guns Do I always hear only "I could shoot that" whether the person is long, short, thin or fat? The older guns just seem to suit all!

That's because of new gun syndrome and also because people aren't really serious about shooting them. My sxs is set up with the same gun fit as my OU although they shoot slightly differently. My last sxs was straight stock and I couldn't shoot it gun down at all well, which might not have exactly lost me if not the championship but certainly made the gap between myself and the winner larger than it might have been. 

I have always understood that true cylinder barrels were very sensitive to cartridge type variations (compared to a fairly open choke - which showed less variation between cartridge types.

Reminds me of Percy Stanbury's famous Webley and Scott.  I believe it is now in the Ownership of the Oxford Gun Co.

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have always understood that true cylinder barrels were very sensitive to cartridge type variations (compared to a fairly open choke - which showed less variation between cartridge types.

Reminds me of Percy Stanbury's famous Webley and Scott.  I believe it is now in the Ownership of the Oxford Gun Co.

I’m very fortunate that I was able to shoot this gun and you are correct we tried a few different cartridges and fortunately I found a box from back in the day 😊

I shall try to replicate the load by experiment until one is found that suits it 

the current custodian is a true gentleman and appreciates the pleasure of shooting a piece of history 

37 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’m very fortunate that I was able to shoot this gun and you are correct we tried a few different cartridges and fortunately I found a box from back in the day 😊

I shall try to replicate the load by experiment until one is found that suits it 

the current custodian is a true gentleman and appreciates the pleasure of shooting a piece of history 

You are extremely lucky!:good:

On 01/05/2021 at 17:46, JohnfromUK said:

Had this gun in my hands some years ago but can not remember the reason . But back then we did a lot of exporting for various people so I did get to see an awful lot of guns I would have thought it was then .

Some of these guns I remember ,some of historic interest others "famous " such as this and the Fredrick Scales gun which caused the gun history writers to have to rethink all that had been written and accepted about its history  .

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Magnum 3 said:

I've had it a few years but must admit I haven't looked into the history of it.

Can anyone enlighten us please?

Sorry, I was being appallingly lazy!  I do have the book.  Serial Nos 10,000 were circa 1878 ...... but W & C  Scott's numbering does seem strange as it is not in numerical order (according to Crawford and Whatley's history of W & C Scott).  The cocking by the two lugs on the front lump appears to have been patented by W.M.Scott and T Baker in 1878 (according to the book, Patent 761 in the UK granted 23rd Feb 1878 and Patent 210,436 dated 3rd December 1878 in the USA.  Scotts used the design from 1878 to 1892 on both their own guns and those made for others including Holland & Holland and Cogswell and Harrison.

The book is "The History of W&C Scott Gunmakers by J.A. Crawford and P.G. Whatley" published by Rowland Ward in 1985.

Edited by JohnfromUK

16 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Sorry, I was being appallingly lazy!  I do have the book.  Serial Nos 10,000 were circa 1878 ...... but W & C  Scott's numbering does seem strange as it is not in numerical order (according to Crawford and Whatley's history of W & C Scott).  The cocking by the two lugs on the front lump appears to have been patented by W.M.Scott and T Baker in 1878 (according to the book, Patent 761 in the UK granted 23rd Feb 1878 and Patent 210,436 dated 3rd December 1878 in the USA.  Scotts used the design from 1878 to 1892 on both their own guns and those made for others including Holland & Holland and Cogswell and Harrison.

The book is "The History of W&C Scott Gunmakers by J.A. Crawford and P.G. Whatley" published by Rowland Ward in 1985.

No need for apologies! Thanks for the information regarding the gun. I'm not sure what to do with it, a strip, clean and service for starters but I don't want to "do it up" too much as it might spoil it. What do you think?

Maybe take a chance and proof it for nitro so I can load up some Bismuth cartridges and use it without causing a problem to low flying aircraft with the smoke.

It has been well used as you can tell by the engraving but it feels tight and strong still.

In it's day it must have been a bit special compared to some of the hammer guns I've got and I do enjoy firing it.