Side by Side Club

AYA117

1 hour ago, kevin55 said:

Presumably Bignotti are the makers, from the same area in Italy where Beretta originate, Gardone VT

Armi is arms in Italian

Could it possibly be a midland or Lincoln gun? I thought they operated the same kinda way as Birmingham trade makers where they basically supplied guns "in the white" to other firms to finish as well as selling their own.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Could it possibly be a midland or Lincoln gun? I thought they operated the same kinda way as Birmingham trade makers where they basically supplied guns "in the white" to other firms to finish as well as selling their own.

The top of the barrels has "English Steel Vickers-Works Sheffield" engraved on them. The at the side of the barrels it is engraved "Made in Italy"

20211014_200139.jpg

20211014_200211.jpg

I have two SxS, one is a Zabala steel proof'd for wildfowling that didn't cost me a great deal and is as such a tool.

The other is my Gunmark (Arrieta) Viscount 12 bore(pictured).

Choked 1/4 and 1/2 28" barrels , it would have to be some life changing event to make me part with it. It fits like a glove and I've had some fantastic days with it and hopefully many more to come

I did flirt with a single trigger AYA XXV Churchill for a season, a beautiful gun but too short in the stock and I was too inconsistent and it had the habit of randomly double discharging so I got shot of it.

I'm trying to convince the youngest lad(12) to convert to a SxS but he's taking some convincing....I might hunt out a cheap project for him an hope that sparks his enthusiasm, it would have to have a raised rib to bridge the gap in his mind. 

IMG_1112[1].JPG

780510F3-98A7-4B26-9CE7-42F271929D86.jpeg

DC11210F-B53A-48FE-82F2-BA387FCC130B.jpeg

616FDA5F-193F-49C8-A3AF-4D16F4147A15.jpeg

50B95D1E-C32C-4870-8224-13473335A35E.jpeg

Edited by Hicky

1 hour ago, Hicky said:

I have two SxS, one is a Zabala steel proof'd for wildfowling that didn't cost me a great deal and is as such a tool.

Choked 1/4 and 1/2 28" barrels , it would have to be some life changing event to make me part with it. It fits like a glove and I've had some fantastic days with it and hopefully many more to come

I did flirt with a single trigger AYA XXV Churchill for a season, a beautiful gun but too short in the stock and I was too inconsistent and it had the habit of randomly double discharging so I got shot of it.

I'm trying to convince the youngest lad(12) to convert to a SxS but he's taking some convincing....I might hunt out a cheap project for him an hope that sparks his enthusiasm, it would have to have a raised rib to bridge the gap in his mind. 

IMG_1112[1].JPG

That is lovely 👍

17 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

600 series did you notice it’s a ejector 😊

I did notice it was a 600 series ejector!

I thought 600 series were non ejectors. I have one labelled as Army & Navy CS ltd which is obviously a 600 W&S,  but not so nice condition as yours and a non ejector with 2 1/2 inch chambers.

edit: Army/Navy serial number has it as made in 1902.

Edited by London Best

22 minutes ago, button said:

PM sent

Let me know if readable

Many thanks button very readable 😊👍

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

I did notice it was a 600 series ejector!

I thought 600 series were non ejectors. I have one labelled as Army & Navy CS ltd which is obviously a 600 W&S,  but not so nice condition as yours and a non ejector with 2 1/2 inch chambers.

edit: Army/Navy serial number has it as made in 1902.

It dosent pay to think much as there’s always going to come along and be a little bit different 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in. 

This is mine, an AYA Yeoman, of a similar vintage to me (1974). Picked it up at auction a couple of weeks ago, (It and a Felix Sarasqueta which I won't be keeping for £60) and after having had the once over yesterday, I'll be seeing how I get on with it at the local clay ground for a box or 2.

I might start to tentatively work my way up through the range, but in all likelihood I won't, unless it stops working. Which, in all likelihood, it wont. 

20211027_182651.jpg

20211027_182705.jpg

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

28 isn't bad, but 32's get a bit lively!  21 is cheaper and lighter, but does the business.

I put 32gs through my yeoman once and once only, old carts labeled SC GAME, it kicked that hard my finger slipped and clipped the 2nd trigger, very like a double discharge. Near sat me on my hoop and give my fillings a good rattle.

A 21gram is lovely but for a good all rounder the Lyalvale pigeon power 29grams fibre wads shoot nicely through mine

On 15/10/2021 at 16:40, Hicky said:

IMG_1112[1].JPG

780510F3-98A7-4B26-9CE7-42F271929D86.jpeg

DC11210F-B53A-48FE-82F2-BA387FCC130B.jpeg

616FDA5F-193F-49C8-A3AF-4D16F4147A15.jpeg

50B95D1E-C32C-4870-8224-13473335A35E.jpeg

What a beauty!

39 minutes ago, Hicky said:

Put to good use last Saturday with 30g 6's(its all I had in) two for two.....sadly it went downhill from there.

I should get some lighter carts as the 12 y/o is eyeing it up.

Your problem with the youngster may be that you let him learn on an o/u in the first place.

Edited by London Best

21 hours ago, London Best said:

Your problem with the youngster may be that you let him learn on an o/u in the first place.

Probably, being young and sponge like I hope he makes the transition, a different sight plane and double triggers will be a learning curve.🤓

1 hour ago, Hicky said:

Probably, being young and sponge like I hope he makes the transition, a different sight plane and double triggers will be a learning curve.🤓

My experience is that many who learn on an o/u struggle with SxS but swapping SxS to o/u seems easier. I only have sxs.

I don’t see a sight plane, look at the bird.