Side by Side Club

AYA117

9 hours ago, 400yrds said:

This gun fits me like a proverbial glove and resulted in some of the highest curling pheasants I'd ever shot using 32gm No.5's and zero recoil felt all day. Only got my hands on this gun the evening before the shoot but my confidence grew with each drive. I've never shot that great with any O/U on the pheasants and I've had a right few over the years. The tight chokes will be exchanged for more open choices and No.5's for 8's or 9's for tomorrow's walked up snipe/woodcock. 

IMG-20220111-WA0006.jpg

What did you pay for that? 

Thats the exact type of thing I am hoping to pick up 👍🏻

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What did you pay for that? 

Thats the exact type of thing I am hoping to pick up 👍🏻

Trading in a sleeper 686S 20g against it so not sure exactly yet as my RFD is a friend and will try to get a good price for it. I'd looked at loads of English and Spanish SBS's for my budget but all were either off face or rough woodwork. 

1 minute ago, 400yrds said:

Trading in a sleeper 686S 20g against it so not sure exactly yet as my RFD is a friend and will try to get a good price for it. I'd looked at loads of English and Spanish SBS's for my budget but all were either off face or rough woodwork. 

The 20g was a joy to carry but wounded much more than it killed, I stuck with it for a year on pigeons, snipe and woodcock but same result on everything. I also foolishly tried it on driven pheasants which was a total disappointment. Possibly my marksmanship but most know me as a good shot and it broke plenty of clay's so the gun fitted me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well the nipper has had two days using my sxs, shot well enough and as such I've got him a summer project.

An AYA pistolgrip beavertail Yeoman. It needs some tidying up however I feel he'll learn a fair amount from doing it. Before that though we have one last day on our shoot where he'll get the chance to try it. I cannot wait for Saturday.

I’ve already emailed ASI to see if they can source a replacement buttplate as it’s cracked and any info they have in the archive.

B320CCB8-A7F0-4CAF-9287-4DAF80AE373E.jpeg

Edited by Hicky

32 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

Hicky,  I have the exact same model of Yeoman.   Not many of these about, it is an excellent gun, I use mine for everything including geese on the shore, enjoy it!

It’s stamped as 900kg proof and has fairly open chokes 2 3/4 chamber. 

Good to hear, I’ve been been on the lookout for it for a while, what have you put through yours ?

I’ve got some 32g 3’s super steel I was going to let him use. It’s a little loose so will need attention soon but I got it for little money. 

On 24/01/2022 at 13:00, Hicky said:

An AYA pistolgrip beavertail Yeoman. It needs some tidying up however I feel he'll learn a fair amount from doing it. Before that though we have one last day on our shoot where he'll get the chance to try it. I cannot wait for Saturday.

I’ve already emailed ASI to see if they can source a replacement buttplate as it’s cracked and any info they have in the archive. Please let all here know how the buttplate enquiry went.

I've just bought a Yeoman Ejector. Out of Holt's. I had nearly to get a mortgage on the house to afford it. £65 including commission. So far so good. Tried it last week for twenty-five cartridges. Hit twenty-four out of twenty-five clays. 

165602.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

4 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I've just bought a Yeoman Ejector. Out of Holt's. I had nearly to get a mortgage on the house to afford it. £65 including commission. So far so good. Tried it last week for twenty-five cartridges. Hit twenty-four out of twenty-five clays. 

165602.jpg

I nearly went for the matador but I had a bad experience with an AYA single trigger before so kept away. This was the beaver tail yeoman. No2 son is very happy with it. I doubt I’ll go the auction route again if I’m honest, glad you’re happy with yours.

40 minutes ago, Hicky said:

I nearly went for the matador but I had a bad experience with an AYA single trigger before so kept away. 

I just sold my, now, only singe trigger side by side. It said "Boss & Co" on the side. But in truth with the worry over steel shot I am happy that I sold it before the rush to sell these fine guns begins. And in truth form must follow function and my French Manufrance 28E boxlock ejector (that cost all of £240.00) is a true self-opener unlike the easy-opener Boss. 

• 2 weeks later...

6E8C777D-3015-44D2-B167-E1C5501560B7.jpeg.20e77c505ec3b6f713b1e32ceed49e5b.jpeg
69177DD8-80A6-48F0-A271-450BAC03EC77.jpeg.ad60c76ee56d4ab50982d456039a5545.jpeg

Just a quick update, that’s the woodwork stripped of the multiple layers of yacht varnish, dents and scratches raised or attempted to(I probably could of done better in hindsight) sanded, checkering cleaned out and tidied up as it was rough and worn….I bought a kit from slipperydicks. It was easy enough to do to a reasonable level however I think I probably should of gone with another coat of the stain on as it’s quite light.

My son who’s gun and project this is put the majority of the sanding/oiling work in. 
I ended up going to a gunsmith who had to drill out the strikerdisc. While there I had a new hinge pin put in and faced up.

I’m quite sure I could of saved myself and laddo a lot of work by hunting round for something however we’ve learnt quite a bit and enjoyed it.

He’s now itching to get out and test it on the crows.🤣

1 hour ago, flippermaj said:

Looks a good job.  Out of interest did you take the stock off the action to do the work or leave it all complete and work on it like that?

I stripped it down to do the woodwork once the metalwork had been remedied. I didn’t want chemical stripper(screwfix own stuff) anywhere near the colour hardening. 

A little help and advice please gentlemen 🙏

I have purchased blind at auction a Brandon 12g s x s hammer gun as a project. It needs a little woodwork, a small dent removal and a general clean and service (one lock is unsafe as it appears that the sear is not fully engaging) my question is this, what is the correct method to disassemble? I will post some pictures tomorrow but basically it would appear to have 2 screws/pins on the left lock which terminate on the right lock, a conventional wood screw behind the trigger guard, which swings to reveal the tang pin/screw and a large screw at the front of the action. I have not attempted yet as I need to grind/ file down a couple of turn screws to fit the narrow slots. The lock up seems solid with no play at all and other than the small dent the barrels are super clean and bright with no pitting. 
advice please!

Thank you John, I will be taking this one slowly and carefully! 

I bought it for pennies at auction, as I really like the graceful lines of the POW stock and the overall look of the gun. It handles really nicely and seems to fit me also. I hope I can get it back to a safe, viable and usable shotgun for some gentle, turn of last century, shooting. It looks a little rough now, and that is after some initial cleaning! Indeed, it was sold as NVSN but after cleaning I discovered matching serial numbers on all 3 main component parts, #26 so either they did not make many, or its an early one. Hope to do a little research in due course

b4.jpg.4d4a4952923477e7bd89f5d7b6bddf78.jpg

b1.jpg.894e43b94f50f7bcb268f1c1d4c87911.jpg

b3.jpg.64d2ee8d489351f38ad555e3632e43b9.jpg

b2.jpg.4439bb1600f5387265e576379752a5c0.jpg

18A57678-960B-4108-B197-CCB5A03C764F.jpeg.2a7c3cf1a5cf4fa01904d2432a6d8af8.jpegBest I can do is say the POW stock has a flat end with a cap, like a capped full pistol grip, but has the grip profile of a half pistol grip. Nearly everyone confuses the two, but I think true POW grips are actually quite uncommon. 
I would refer you to page 71 of ‘Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot’, by Diggory Haddoke for good illustrations.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

Best I can do is say the POW stock has a flat end with a cap, like a capped full pistol grip, but has the grip profile of a half pistol grip. Nearly everyone confuses the two, but I think true POW grips are actually quite uncommon. 
I would refer you to page 71 of ‘Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot’, by Diggory Haddoke for good illustrations.

Edited by London Best