Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Do any of you chappies know when LE Personne & co London gunshop ceased trading?

I have been trying to trace the history my new Armas Garbi shotgun and I now know it was a bespoke order from Le Personne London in 1976.

I have found that this company dealt in just about everything as far back as the 1920s but cant see when they ceased trading.

Any help please.

Edited by DUNKS
addition

Hi

Decided to take the plunge and purchase a SBS really just to try, what a revelation!! got a 1986 Spanish import (sorry photos not brilliant but wanted to share as brings a smile every time I go shooting with it)

I only use for clays but shoot better than with my 525, my youngest was impressed, got him a 13" stock Baikal 43EM, made 1986 English proofed 1988 and loves it, fits perfectly

And yes they are both "Bosher" bargains both cost a tenth of my 525 (which now probably going to get rid of, as dont use!) - an absolute gent who also fixed my other boys Berreta

g2.jpg.b4e3fd3500dac43340fbaef9a8a17f58.jpgg1.jpg.1f37b34842477c002abec55ca0336c28.jpg

Hi

been trying to register on here for weeks but my email server ate all the confirmation e mails so had to set up new account.

anyway I.m here now.....I will go on the ntroductions page later but just stumbled across this SBS group

does anybody know anything about Carr Bros of Huddersfield SBSs?......I am trying to date it and thought I had it to 1928 but a gunsmith at the show last Friday took a look at the pics and thought more like 1880/1910

it is in Farm Fresh condition with some light pitting to the outside of the barrels.....the bores are spotless and it shoots well

IMG_3461.JPG.209d40e644fb591a1edf1acb72d19f50.JPGIMG_3462.JPG.01ab0b30fc668d2f9f5b4d201b58e4ec.JPGIMG_3463.JPG.ea7cf47f8a5edade6196c4cddf5d69a7.JPGIMG_3464.JPG.ade492693a9ffc0bc1b3e72660aeb81f.JPG

IMG_3465.JPG

According to Nigel Brown's British Gunmakers Vol 2 -:

Carr Brothers, Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield, Yorks c.1878, 4 Cloth Hall Street c1883-c97, Chancery Lane c1901, 3a Market St. c1905-c13.

Had the address been on the top rib, this would have narrowed it down a bit.

If you can put up a photo of the proof marks, perhaps someone on here may be able to advise further.

Welcome to pigeon watch.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

15 hours ago, dipper said:

Best quality box lock .Nice Wood 

11 hours ago, matone said:

Very nice gun that !

Thanks, yes it’s a stunner and I know it’s history. Bought new in 1977 from Chichester Armoury and spent most of the next 40 years in a cabinet. Sold to an rfd when the chap died and bought by my friend who hadn’t got round to using it. He sold it to me when he bought his Churchill’s. It looks and feels like a new gun.

My plan is to get a few hundred cartridges through it on the clays, then it’ll be my pigeon gun and used on beaters days. 

I may well be wrong on this, but I think in the UK it is usually the "Best Quality Boxlock" and some other markets the "No 4 Deluxe" and they are the same, but I may not be right on that.  I guess if you email ASI (the importers) they would confirm or explain.  They are nice guns, and sometimes come with assisted opening (which ups the weight a bit) and nearly always have 27" barrels (as opposed to the 28" most common on No1 and No 2).  Like all 'better' AyAs, they could be ordered with various options, so there are some different spec's around, however the majority were 'off the shelf'.

4 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

According to Nigel Brown's British Gunmakers Vol 2 -:

Carr Brothers, Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield, Yorks c.1878, 4 Cloth Hall Street c1883-c97, Chancery Lane c1901, 3a Market St. c1905-c13.

Had the address been on the top rib, this would have narrowed it down a bit.

If you can put up a photo of the proof marks, perhaps someone on here may be able to advise further.

Welcome to pigeon watch.

OB

Peter Dyson now owns the name  ,I believe.

15 hours ago, Diver One said:

Hi

been trying to register on here for weeks but my email server ate all the confirmation e mails so had to set up new account.

anyway I.m here now.....I will go on the ntroductions page later but just stumbled across this SBS group

does anybody know anything about Carr Bros of Huddersfield SBSs?......I am trying to date it and thought I had it to 1928 but a gunsmith at the show last Friday took a look at the pics and thought more like 1880/1910

it is in Farm Fresh condition with some light pitting to the outside of the barrels.....the bores are spotless and it shoots well

IMG_3461.JPG.209d40e644fb591a1edf1acb72d19f50.JPGIMG_3462.JPG.01ab0b30fc668d2f9f5b4d201b58e4ec.JPGIMG_3463.JPG.ea7cf47f8a5edade6196c4cddf5d69a7.JPGIMG_3464.JPG.ade492693a9ffc0bc1b3e72660aeb81f.JPG

IMG_3465.JPG

What type of firing pin is this?  Is it concealed in the nipple, or is what looks like a nipple the actual firing pin?

Blackpowder